1 heater or 2? And what wattage?

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m setting up a reefer 250 65 gallon system and I’m pretty sure I’m going to get 2 Eheim Jagger heaters my question is should I get 2 100w, 1 200w, or 2 200w? I have heard somewhere redundancy is a good idea especially with heaters but I don’t know how to execute that properly

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 finnex heaters with a ranco thermostat on a 125 gallon + 30ish gallon sump. never had a problem. I like having two just in case even though just having one might not heat the whole tank (which I don't want to find out but plan on buying new ones after 1 year) don't know if this helps you or not.

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 finnex heaters with a ranco thermostat on a 125 gallon + 30ish gallon sump. never had a problem. I like having two just in case even though just having one might not heat the whole tank (which I don't want to find out but plan on buying new ones after 1 year) don't know if this helps you or not.
I guess I really just need to know if each heater your using is compatible with the size tank you have in terms of wattage? Or did you use 2 at half strength?

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way I would assume that it works possibly with any heater is they turn on (cause its on or off) get to the correct temperature then turn off. some have bigger swings such as 76.2 to 77.2 or 76.5 to 76.7 for 76 degrees ) BRS helped me pick this set up out and its less stress on two heaters then one ( which I like ) on BRS's website it states:
53-79 gallons
150W
13.4"
for the 150 watt. so if you wanted to you can run two 100 watts no problems or one 150. I would also recommend giving BRS a call. They are super nice and very helpful ( not sure if you were looking for that as an answer partner!)

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way I would assume that it works possibly with any heater is they turn on (cause its on or off) get to the correct temperature then turn off. some have bigger swings such as 76.2 to 77.2 or 76.5 to 76.7 for 76 degrees ) BRS helped me pick this set up out and its less stress on two heaters then one ( which I like ) on BRS's website it states:

53-79 gallons
150W
13.4"
for the 150 watt. so if you wanted to you can run two 100 watts no problems or one 150. I would also recommend giving BRS a call. They are super nice and very helpful ( not sure if you were looking for that as an answer partner!)
That was very helpful thank you :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two heaters, like the Ehiem, that have thermostats inside of them. Then, run them on a Ranco, or other heater controller, so that all three of them have to fail in the "on" position to fry your tank.

You set the heaters to turn off just a degree more than the controller - so controller at 78 and heaters at 79, or whatever.

If you live somewhere cold, then get the 2x 200w. If not, then the 100w are probably fine, but the 200w are probably only a few dollars more.

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two heaters, like the Ehiem, that have thermostats inside of them. Then, run them on a Ranco, or other heater controller, so that all three of them have to fail in the "on" position to fry your tank.

You set the heaters to turn off just a degree more than the controller - so controller at 78 and heaters at 79, or whatever.

If you live somewhere cold, then get the 2x 200w. If not, then the 100w are probably fine, but the 200w are probably only a few dollars more.
I live in Florida so the coldest it ever gets is the high 40’s and that only lasts a few days and I keep my home at 74. I didn’t want to get 2 200’s and have it fry my tank on accident so it’s good to know it doesn’t really matter since it doesn’t get very cold where I am

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that the first controller, like the Ranco, will never let the heaters run too much. However, if it does fail on (which is unheard on), then the thermostats in the heaters will shut them off.

2x 100w is probably fine.

The other reason to have two is that if one fails, then you are good while you order another one.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two heaters with internal controls that are seperate just below the required wattage treshold of what you need and a temperature controller that can control both.
Set the controller to the temperature you want to achieve and both internal thermostats just below the temperature you want to achieve (*test what this setting is because thermostats will read different temperatures.
Under normal operation the combined wattage will be enough to reach temperature of the controller, if the controller fails the slightly lower temperature of the heaters will be the result. If one heater fails it can't cook the tank because the other heater will turn off, if both heaters fail the controller should go into alarm and shut on off (and the tank won't get cooked). If all three fail, blame Murphy's law for cooking your tank.

OP
OP
S

Snarbleglarf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that the first controller, like the Ranco, will never let the heaters run too much. However, if it does fail on (which is unheard on), then the thermostats in the heaters will shut them off.

2x 100w is probably fine.

The other reason to have two is that if one fails, then you are good while you order another one.
Ok I do plan on using the apex system to control my electronics so there will be an external controller being used. I will go with the 2 100w. Thank you!

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my RSR 250 I run an Aquael Gold 300 controlled by my Apex as the primary and a cheaper Aqua One 250 as a backup. As others have said I have the primary thermostat set to turn on just < the Apex on temperature. The thermostat range is around 2 degrees C and I keep my Apex within 1 degree C so the thermostat would turn the heater off if the Apex ever failed on. The backup is neither powered or controlled by the apex and set to turn on below the primary on level, so normally not used.

Dev795

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two, i have a 100g with two 300watt heaters with one set just below the other. I have yet to have one fail but just in case the other one can keep normal operating temperatures. Iv only been in the hobby for one year so far but i would rather be on the safer side the. Sorry

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with two 100 or 150w heaters and use a ranco or inkbird controller. Don't get a heater that's so powerful that if it fails it'll cook your tank

Back