1 in RFG Sea Swirl = Good Stuff

• Thread starter User1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
I am finishing up some plumbing rework on my 210 gallon upgrade that has been maturing for about a year now. Almost a year actually (15th will be the birthday) when I moved a existing 40 breeder into it. Anyway it is still maturing so not a lot of coral to break up the flow. When I started I had a pair of 1" Sea Swirls running off a Cor 15 for flow. It was working, but not ideal so I added in a pair of Gyre's - XF250.

That was a bit too much flow so I started to alternate their flow so they didn't run together. Still not happy because while they move a lot of water it really is in a distinct pattern when you really do the analysis based on the cage placement/rotation and paddles. Long story short without a lot of strong corals to break that flow up I decided to remove them which is what I just completed yesterday and replaced them with a pair of 1" RFG's attached to my Sea Swirls.

I have to say that I really like this a lot better. Not only did I add the 1" RFG's I knew the Cor 15 wouldn't be enough in the big picture so picked up a Cor 20 last week when I noticed a sale. This gives me redundancy (sort of already had because my skimmer is also powered by a Cor 15) by running two pumps and using the Cor 20 on the furthest Sea Swirl and plumbing line and moving the 15 model to the one with shorter plumbing. Enter a perfect storm. Lots of water movement, too much actually, and getting just about everywhere which is what I wanted with...you guessed it. More random flow than the Gyres.

I look at the surface of the tank and the water is really agitated. Point them down a bit and it is still there but now directing more toward the bottom. I think my rock work along the back wall is not getting as much flow but I probably need to adjust the nozzle and Sea Swirl angle I'm sure. It is my cryptic zone anyway or at least that is the plan - we'll see.

The Challenge now is actually adjusting the flow of the two return pumps to re-create a high and low tide and balancing my Bean Animal overflow. This may not work the way I envision but right now, at least this morning, I'm finally happy (as are my rose bubble tip anemones) with the flow. If anyone is on the fence with these really consider them. They are perfect when sized with a proper pump. I'm actually running my pumps at 80% at peak and considering even running them lower.

Great product!
-scottf

upload_2019-4-9_11-45-31.png

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finishing up some plumbing rework on my 210 gallon upgrade that has been maturing for about a year now. Almost a year actually (15th will be the birthday) when I moved a existing 40 breeder into it. Anyway it is still maturing so not a lot of coral to break up the flow. When I started I had a pair of 1" Sea Swirls running off a Cor 15 for flow. It was working, but not ideal so I added in a pair of Gyre's - XF250.

That was a bit too much flow so I started to alternate their flow so they didn't run together. Still not happy because while they move a lot of water it really is in a distinct pattern when you really do the analysis based on the cage placement/rotation and paddles. Long story short without a lot of strong corals to break that flow up I decided to remove them which is what I just completed yesterday and replaced them with a pair of 1" RFG's attached to my Sea Swirls.

I have to say that I really like this a lot better. Not only did I add the 1" RFG's I knew the Cor 15 wouldn't be enough in the big picture so picked up a Cor 20 last week when I noticed a sale. This gives me redundancy (sort of already had because my skimmer is also powered by a Cor 15) by running two pumps and using the Cor 20 on the furthest Sea Swirl and plumbing line and moving the 15 model to the one with shorter plumbing. Enter a perfect storm. Lots of water movement, too much actually, and getting just about everywhere which is what I wanted with...you guessed it. More random flow than the Gyres.

I look at the surface of the tank and the water is really agitated. Point them down a bit and it is still there but now directing more toward the bottom. I think my rock work along the back wall is not getting as much flow but I probably need to adjust the nozzle and Sea Swirl angle I'm sure. It is my cryptic zone anyway or at least that is the plan - we'll see.

The Challenge now is actually adjusting the flow of the two return pumps to re-create a high and low tide and balancing my Bean Animal overflow. This may not work the way I envision but right now, at least this morning, I'm finally happy (as are my rose bubble tip anemones) with the flow. If anyone is on the fence with these really consider them. They are perfect when sized with a proper pump. I'm actually running my pumps at 80% at peak and considering even running them lower.

Great product!
-scottf

upload_2019-4-9_11-45-31.png
Thanks for the great overview of your setup and your experience of with our 1in RFG. Woud love to see osme photos/videos of your setup,as I'm sure everyone else would too ;-)

For those that may want to mimic your setup, which RFGs did you go with for your Sea Swirls?

The RFG100 with the 1in Slip-Fitting for Schl 40 PVC
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/1in-random-flow-generator-rfg100/

Or the 1in RFGS100LL with the modular hose fitting?
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/s...ator-with-1in-modular-hose-fitting-rfgs100ll/

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the great overview of your setup and your experience of with our 1in RFG. Woud love to see osme photos/videos of your setup,as I'm sure everyone else would too ;-)

For those that may want to mimic your setup, which RFGs did you go with for your Sea Swirls?

The RFG100 with the 1in Slip-Fitting for Schl 40 PVC
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/1in-random-flow-generator-rfg100/

Or the 1in RFGS100LL with the modular hose fitting?
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/s...ator-with-1in-modular-hose-fitting-rfgs100ll/

I went with the RFGS100LL / 1 inch modular hose fitting. I wanted a little bit more control or fine tuning with regards to the flow angle. I think this was the best solution. They still stick out a bit too much for me but I am considering cutting the modular fitting or trimming it so it fits more snug and reduce overall size. Especially if I end up with four of these down the road. Then again it is growing on me.

With regards to pictures and videos sure, I can do that. The only thing to be aware is that the tank is still maturing so it is not the prettiest thing on earth let alone we are dealing with a lot of algae issues at the moment. I'll see if I can get a good surface video or picture because that is really what is impressing me at the moment.

The best part of it all is that while the Sea Swirls are noticeable the overall tank appearance is cleaner by removing the Gyres. This isn't a slam or complaint against that product, they did work, but once you take them out you start to notice just how big they are or how much tank space they take up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back