1 out of 8 won't open.

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have few zoas that all been doing great.

Last week I picked up 2 Zoas from someone I knew that is pretty reputable in my area.

For some reason or another however 1 of the 2 I picked up will not open but very slightly.

They came from the same tank, same general location and I have them in the same general area. 1 has no problem opening, plus the rest of my zoas are happy as can be, Water parameters check out, so I'm puzzled as why 1 is being a pain when the rest are flourishing.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have few zoas that all been doing great.

Last week I picked up 2 Zoas from someone I knew that is pretty reputable in my area.

For some reason or another however 1 of the 2 I picked up will not open but very slightly.

They came from the same tank, same general location and I have them in the same general area. 1 has no problem opening, plus the rest of my zoas are happy as can be, Water parameters check out, so I'm puzzled as why 1 is being a pain when the rest are flourishing.

To me there’s something irritating that specific zoa.

did you dip it?

hope it didn’t have any pests.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crab happened to climb over my rainbow zoa but he opens just fine, but yes I did.
20210718_104947.jpg
20210718_104958.jpg

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was taking assumption since they both came from identical locations to put them in identical location. However I can try that.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the tank? If it is only 1 head that isn't opening, I'd leave it and monitor. If it was a flow, lighting or water quality issue, the whole frag would be effected.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there a week. 3 out of the 7 polyps crack open, but not much. While the rest are flourishing.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, bought some darth mauls and rastas and the Rastas just did not want to open (for like 2 weeks). Picked up some bayer pesticide from Lowe’s and did a dip of the rastas for 15 minutes in recommended dose followed by a iodine dip and rinsed in a cup of tank water after. Next day the polyps started to open. I believe a spionid worm was bothering them. The bayer dip took care of that worm.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’d re-dip em give it a longer dip zoa’s are super hardy.

then pop it back in, you could try lower flow but zoa’s can take medium for sure.

Then give it another week or two.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@JTremonte If they're partially open they're trying. Just giving it some time should be the next step. You didn't mention what strain they are. It is normal for some to take a slightly longer time to adapt to new aquarium. 2-3 weeks, while stressful for you, is not unusual for a zoa to get settled.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news and something I learned. Now if it is related I'm unsure. I was always under assumption that you didn't need calcium and magnesium for softies. However I added some to get with specs and magically they all opened within an hour of me adding it. I had some but not to the LPS / SPS standards.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It happens to me all the time, some nice growing colonies just close up and little by little bleaching and disappear while others were still doing great, dip them even not helping them to recover...hardiest soft corals are the most tricky coral to keep

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back