Reefer350Khash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Hi fellow reef enthusiasts,

I'm not much of a writer, so this is my first ever forum I'm posting on. For that reason I'm not too familiar with how everything works here, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Some people might recognize me or my tank from instagram or Facebook where I'm very active and post quit some pictures of my tank.

But first let me introduce myself: My name is Khashayar Mahdyan, 28 years old and living in The Netherlands. About 1,5 years ago I decided I wanted a reeftank. After watching some Youtube video's and some reading on the internet I bought a couple days later an already running 50 gallon jewel tank tank, complete with everything. Now thinking back to it I don't now how I could be that stupid. I literally knew nothing about reefing :D. But hey..now I was addicted, and I wanted to do everything to get this tank thriving as soon as possible. I started reading and reading and visiting a lot of fish stores, speaking with the store owners and other hobbyists. I made a lot of mistakes, but happily I didn't lose any fish or corals. The most import thing is that I learned from every mistake.

This is the Jewel tank:

IMG_1339.JPG

A couple months later I decided to get a bigger tank. And after seeing the Red Sea Reefer series , I knew this was the tank for me. I still believe this is one of the better looking tanks out there.

This photo is made about 1 year ago. It's the beginning of the Reefer 350.

IMG_2642.JPG

Here is a pics of the reefer 350 exactly one year later.

IMG_4946.JPG

The tank s running on a Full DSR method. some people might now it. It's kind of comparable with the Triton Method. It doesn't rely on waterchanges for nutrient removal or element replacement. Nutrients get reduced by iron and carbon(sugar/vinegar) dosing. And with the DSR calculator we are able to calculate exactly how much of every element we have to dose day by day.

This way the necessity of daily maintenance gets very low and that's exactly how I like it. I'm a very lazy reefer. I hate doing waterchanges, and putting time and effort day by day to maintain the tank. With DSR my tank is kind of running on auto-pilot. Once a week a measure some important elements to check if everything is still ok. And once every 4 weeks I measure all elements, and correct them if needed.

Daily dosing with autodoser:
- calcium
- Magnesium
- KH
- Carbonsource (vinegar/sugar)
- Iron
- Manganese
- Strontium
- Iodine
- Amino/vitaminC

every 4 weeks:
- Boron
- Potassium

Here is a photo of my messy sump:
IMG_4932.JPG

It's nothing too exciting. I don't use any 'unnecessary' equipment. Keep it simple.

I do prefer high-end brands for the equipment I have to rely on day by day. I believe these often more expensive brands have better durability and reliability. And with all the expensive corals that's definitely an important thing for me.

List of equipment:
- Red Dragon 4000 returnpump
- Vertex 150 skimmer with Bubbleking 180 pump
- 2 x 6 channel ATI autodoser
- Maxspect gyre 230
- Vortech MP40
- Tunze 6045 that's connected to my APC 1000Va UPS

Lights: Giesemann Matrix II Dimtec
IMG_0249.JPG

I definitely prefer T5 over LED's as main light source for my reeftank. after running on T5 I got curious how LED's would do on my tank and I wanted to see what the LED hype was all about. So I decided to give the Giesemann Futura a try. Right from the beginning I didn't like the way the light spreads through the tank. After 2 months I noted some corals got lighter, got some white spots, and growth got reduced. So I switched back to my familiar Giesemann T5 lights.

The corals got back in shape and are growing as never before and they have deep and even colloration.

My Giesemann fixture has 2 DIY built blue led panels. These lights go on in the evening and they provide for the fluorisation of the corals.

some pics of the blue leds:

I'll try to keep posting pics and video's of my tank on this page. Feel free to comment.

Happy Reefing! :)

Bonus Pics

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, congratulations on a successful year:)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome too Reef2Reef , Nice thread !!! Only i think you forgot too post pics ??:D
Would love too see them ... Im also in Netherland ..

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you point a good website for learning more about DSR system. (In English)

Last edited:

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank and thanks for sharing!

So you don't dose anything else but the above elements? Isn't there more trace elements in sea water? I need to do more reading about this Dutch method. Very cool.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, amazing first post! HA!

What a beautiful reef. Can't wait to see more photos and details as it grows!

OP
OP
Reefer350Khash

Reefer350Khash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work. Congrats and I'll need to look at that DSR method (looked at it last year but didn't find it interesting...)
Do you dose kalkwasser?

Thanks! Love DSR. It's simple and effective. What method did you choose? I dose NatriumCarbonate for KH+ and CalciumChloride for Ca+

OP
OP
Reefer350Khash

Reefer350Khash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the aquarium started on DSR from the very beginning? Were there water changes done initially?
The Reefer is runnig on DSR for 7 months now. I started with Balling Light method and did a monthly waterchange of 15%. But after a couple of months I measured some elements like Boron, Strontium, Iodine etc. And I noticed some of them were too low, and others were too high. (most of them too low). And with balling light I couldn't correct them individually. That's the reason I changed to a method which gives me full control of the essential parameters.

Back