10/22/16 Aqua SD Mega Weekend Update + SALE!!! NEW INDO AND AUSSIE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every coral I've ever purchased online has looked somewhat different from it's posted photograph... every one. Many corals are very close, but not exact. Lots of factors... Lighting, water chemistry, the powerful camera and lens combos used for the selling pics... The online pics are so crisp, clear, colorful... often times we can't see that type of detail with the naked eye. As for size... the egg crate helps the buyer judge size for the majority of the pieces. Some are tricky at times...

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And let me add... there are times that I'm disappointed in the piece I get.
Short story... I purchased a cynarina coral online... the online pic displayed overall red, maroon body with bright green/blue highlights... with some cool dots all over the piece. when I received it and placed into my tank no dots... and barely any bright green/blue highlights... very bland coloration... so I'm thinking, what tha hell? I leave the piece in my tank for a few months and the piece still looks rather bland with none of the distinctive markings I was hoping for... so, frustrated, I took it to my LFS to trade it in... I come back in a week and I see my former piece up for sale... and guess what... DOTS! and bright green/blue highlights... the LFS was using different lights than I, and I guess that was the trick... maybe other light colors or something. So, at the minimum, I now ask vendors their lighting set ups.

jah4good

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And let me add... there are times that I'm disappointed in the piece I get.
Short story... I purchased a cynarina coral online... the online pic displayed overall red, maroon body with bright green/blue highlights... with some cool dots all over the piece. when I received it and placed into my tank no dots... and barely any bright green/blue highlights... very bland coloration... so I'm thinking, what tha hell? I leave the piece in my tank for a few months and the piece still looks rather bland with none of the distinctive markings I was hoping for... so, frustrated, I took it to my LFS to trade it in... I come back in a week and I see my former piece up for sale... and guess what... DOTS! and bright green/blue highlights... the LFS was using different lights than I, and I guess that was the trick... maybe other light colors or something. So, at the minimum, I now ask vendors their lighting set ups.
That's really great advice! I'm going to start doing that as well. That definitely changes everything

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back