10 gal nano tank

REB49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from a Denver, CO noob.

I have a 10 gal nano tank that I started in May of this year. I've always had a freshwater tank but wanted a saltwater one. I live in an apartment and weight of a bigger tank and space to put it were my deciding factors on the nano.

I have sand substrate with live rock and only artificial decor. My inhabitants are 2 zebra clowns, 1 dwarf blue angel, 1 turbo snail and 1 arrow crab. I've managed to keep them alive and well but want to do more with live plants, coral or algae.

I've done a lot of research but at 72 yo, my brain is fried from reading so much that, quite honestly, contradicts itself. So, I'm hoping to get some help with my questions. Do I need to get an RO/DI system? Do I need a protein skimmer? What would work best for a live plant, coral or algae? Thank you.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! You will likely find a variety of opinions about your questions so I'll jump in and offer mine. If you keep up with water changes then you shouldn't need a skimmer (the water changes will provide the mechanical filtration that the skimmer would have provided). Whether you buy saltwater from a local fish store (LFS) where they make the RODI water and mix the salt, buy RODI water and mix your own saltwater, or buy an RODI system and mix your salt, I recommend that you use RODI water as the base for your aquarium water. I think that you'll find making your own RODI water is a lot easier than lugging containers from the LFS. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Upvote 0

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Especially about making your own saltwater, it's so convenient.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

REB49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! You will likely find a variety of opinions about your questions so I'll jump in and offer mine. If you keep up with water changes then you shouldn't need a skimmer (the water changes will provide the mechanical filtration that the skimmer would have provided). Whether you buy saltwater from a local fish store (LFS) where they make the RODI water and mix the salt, buy RODI water and mix your own saltwater, or buy an RODI system and mix your salt, I recommend that you use RODI water as the base for your aquarium water. I think that you'll find making your own RODI water is a lot easier than lugging containers from the LFS. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I've also discovered that getting my own system will be more cost effective.

Upvote 0

SaltyFresh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am a noob as well and find the internet sometimes overwhelming which is why I joined here myself! I am in no way knowledgeable like so many here, but wanted to extend some newbie opinion if you would have it.
I have watched a fair amount of YouTube videos and read up on set ups for how to make your initial salt water and also reserve stock. You can definitely make a small simple set up to be able to cycle good water in order to do the more than often water changes you will need for small tanks. Fresh water tanks seem like a breeze compared to the salt life! Haha!

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd encourage you to find a local reefing group for additional support. 10g is too small for a dwarf angelfish for long-term success, so I think you'll eventually have to upgrade to a bigger tank or give it away.

I can't recommend macroalgae enough, as this will add life and movement to your tank. Okay, most macroalgae. Please do not add chaeto (usually sold in large, stringy balls), as it's terrible in anything that's not a sump. And halimedia has the curse of being both hard to keep and, much to my dismay, apparently delicious to many inverts. The only macro that I've managed to keep long-term (without it being devoured by fish or inverts) is halymenia and agardhiella. Both are red, and very pretty.

Upvote 0

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gonna second it being way too small for any dwarf angelfish, that’s cramped just for a pair clowns alone. Make sure there is something for that turbo snail to eat, they tend to die when they run out of food and stink the tank up.

Welcome to the forum. Macroalgae might be your simplest bet, you will end up with a pretty heavy bioload with just the pair of clowns, adding in the angel puts it at a massive overstock. Be careful what artificial decor you put in the tank, see lots of posts with random problems from the things people put in their tanks. Never know

Upvote 0

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a bubblemagus 001 protein skimmer. I just got mine and it works really well. Buy a JBJ Auto Top Off and you will be ready to go. Make sure you put the top off water spout so it dumps on top of the float. Tie it with a zip tie. The doser is a brs 50ml. The tank must be rimless though. Here are some pictures. This system is pretty hassle free. Good enough for softies no water changes required. Rodi water is required though

6AED0CB7-FA7C-42E5-8632-17A908B9A0D8.jpeg 3F1C2097-3531-41F0-88D7-E8A7924394F2.jpeg 435C56FB-5CCB-493D-ADFB-239F079FB9BE.jpeg 65CFE755-5E73-4CCC-8499-6FB4472A5CC5.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

REB49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd encourage you to find a local reefing group for additional support. 10g is too small for a dwarf angelfish for long-term success, so I think you'll eventually have to upgrade to a bigger tank or give it away.

I can't recommend macroalgae enough, as this will add life and movement to your tank. Okay, most macroalgae. Please do not add chaeto (usually sold in large, stringy balls), as it's terrible in anything that's not a sump. And halimedia has the curse of being both hard to keep and, much to my dismay, apparently delicious to many inverts. The only macro that I've managed to keep long-term (without it being devoured by fish or inverts) is halymenia and agardhiella. Both are red, and very pretty.
Thanks for the info on macros. I found chaeto was like dessert to my crabs!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

REB49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend and RODI system for my nano 10 gallon tank? I don't want to spend a lot for such a small tank but I want it to be beneficial. thank you.

Upvote 0

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if i may. Looks like your all hooked up with lots of gear. I do see some yellow rock which appears to be cycling. Hit your local shop for some real live rock. Looks like you can afford it

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you recommend and RODI system for my nano 10 gallon tank? I don't want to spend a lot for such a small tank but I want it to be beneficial. thank you.

You may want to consider one of the lower priced models from BRS. Knowing your TDS and changing out the filters when necessary is as important as what system you choose. I used one of their RODI systems for many years before I recently upgraded to a higher end model from AquaFX. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Upvote 0

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if i may. Looks like your all hooked up with lots of gear. I do see some yellow rock which appears to be cycling. Hit your local shop for some real live rock. Looks like you can afford it
The tank is already cycled. The purple rock is under the new dry rock I just added. I have another tank that I used the rock from so it was cycled immediately

Upvote 0

Bayfront_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the saltwater world! I would say that you should go ahead and get a Fluval Evo 13.5 all in one tank. The tank comes with the basic lighting and filtration that youd need to be very successful with most beginner and lots of intermediate corals. The tank is limited in size so the fish youd be able to keep is restricted.
Other than that the tank is great on evaporation, cutting back the need to be constantly topping off. The lights can easily handle growing soft corals (beginner corals) things like mushrooms, leathers, zoanthids, palythoa, and various others. It is also capable of Growing LPS corals, (large polyp stony corals). LPS corals are different than soft corals in the way that they have a large fleshy part, and then a stony skeleton. The soft corals do not have that skeleton, and therefore are less demanding of certain elements in the water. The LPS require calcium and alkalinity in the water in order to maintain and grow their skeleton. This puts demand on the water and must be met with either a water change regime or the dosing of those two elements. in short Dosing requires careful measurement of your tanks Calcium and Alk levels and then proper dosing to raise those levels to the targets for what your corals need.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back