10 gallon DIY sump build for a 30 gallon tank

aeo29067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've got a 30 gallon cube tank with a pair of snow storm clownfish. I've been using a HOB filter but would like to try my hand at using a sump system. I have a spare 10 gallon tank and was thinking about converting it. Anybody have any experience with this? The tank is not drilled and I don't plan on drilling it because I have no idea how to do that and would probably ruin the tank. What kind of equipment would I need? I also just bought a fluval mini skimmer, could I put that in the sump or do I need to buy a different skimmer? What should I use for my return pump? I'd like to also dedicate most of the middle of the sump to a refugium. I'd probably need to buy a kit to partition these areas cause I'm honestly not that handy. Any suggestions? I think I'd like to set it up as such: 1 chamber protein skimmer (is there anything else I could put into the first chamber?), 2nd chamber refugium, 3rd mini chamber with floss or bioballs (bubble guard) 4th chamber return pump. Suggestions? Any and all help would be appreciated. I'll try to post pictures as I'm getting everything put together but right now I'm just in the planning phase.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could use a full-siphon overflow box to get the water out of the tank and down to the sump. Although some people like this option, I have had mixed results with my CPR overflow box. Have you looked at converting the 30g to an AIO? There are conversion kits that exist for most sizes of tanks and if you don't want to drill the tank this may be a reasonable option. Tunze internal filters or a canister filter (there are a wide variety of opinions on these) are also possibilities. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
aeo29067

aeo29067

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I'm gonna try a PVC overflow and red ogo refugium. Not sure if it's gonna work but I guess we will see. This is my current setup. I purchased a figi 10 gal sump kit and that should be arriving in about a week.

Attachments

• 20210607_130755.jpg
    20210607_130755.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 72

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back