OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider a bigger tank for an adult peacock as it will provide a lot more entertainment if they have plenty of area to explore.

That being said, I would keep the one you have as she/he seems very entertaining!!

I am guessing whoever said that was misinformed because they are identical coloring, just smaller.

Here is the one I had many years ago... she ended up constructing a tunnel the entire length of the 20g long from one end to the other.

Yeah, I actually have a 40b lagoon tank planned for soft corals and the mantis, long term. I have the stand, just need to get the tank during the next petco $1 per gallon sale. I am out swapping the little guy for the 5” peacock right now. Impetus to get the larger tank sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got back from the LFS and they said the small one was incorrectly marked. It was a trade-in from somebody’s live rock, so definitely not a peacock. The one I swapped for came from the wholesaler by way of Sri Lanka, though.
7B80DE8F-64F3-42A8-90FF-6173C86DE0EE.jpeg

547D1D84-8856-4881-ABEC-E8BEF3371EA0.jpeg

I think it’s missing one of its clubs though. Hopefully, it will molt soon. I’ll just feed it some softer foods for a while.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got back from the LFS and they said the small one was incorrectly marked. It was a trade-in from somebody’s live rock, so definitely not a peacock. The one I swapped for came from the wholesaler by way of Sri Lanka, though.
7B80DE8F-64F3-42A8-90FF-6173C86DE0EE.jpeg

547D1D84-8856-4881-ABEC-E8BEF3371EA0.jpeg

I think it’s missing one of its clubs though. Hopefully, it will molt soon. I’ll just feed it some softer foods for a while.
That’s a beauty!!

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F2E69FD6-4947-47CE-9ECD-81E0C64987CC.jpeg

Caught the mantis out and about last night after the tank lights went off. It seemed really interested in me and sat there for a solid 10 minutes just grooming itself and watching me move around the room. It dug a pit behind the live rock, against the tank wall, and spends most of its time down there just hanging out.

I’m beginning to suspect that it’s missing one or both of its clubs, sadly. I’m not sure if they pull them off before they go to market or something, but I’m patiently waiting for molts so they grow back. It has taken and eaten a cube of mysis. However, when it saw a hermit crab crawl by the other day, it dashed out, grabbed it, then eventually dropped it and went back to its pit. I haven’t heard a single peep out of it since it went into the tank.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F2E69FD6-4947-47CE-9ECD-81E0C64987CC.jpeg

Caught the mantis out and about last night after the tank lights went off. It seemed really interested in me and sat there for a solid 10 minutes just grooming itself and watching me move around the room. It dug a pit behind the live rock, against the tank wall, and spends most of its time down there just hanging out.

I’m beginning to suspect that it’s missing one or both of its clubs, sadly. I’m not sure if they pull them off before they go to market or something, but I’m patiently waiting for molts so they grow back. It has taken and eaten a cube of mysis. However, when it saw a hermit crab crawl by the other day, it dashed out, grabbed it, then eventually dropped it and went back to its pit. I haven’t heard a single peep out of it since it went into the tank.
That is SUCH a pretty mantis!!! I might get one as a fuge monster one day... They may pull the clubs off before shipping so they cant injure anything but I’m glad that it’s eating for you! Hopefully the clubs grow back soon so you can see the incredible hunting strategy!

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is SUCH a pretty mantis!!! I might get one as a fuge monster one day... They may pull the clubs off before shipping so they cant injure anything but I’m glad that it’s eating for you! Hopefully the clubs grow back soon so you can see the incredible hunting strategy!

I just confirmed that it’s missing both clubs. I put some tongs down by the burrow and the mantis came out, kind of grabbed them, but never punched. I tried a couple of times and got a good look... no clubs. ;Drowning

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates!? I’m def following this thread. It’s amazing! I might get a peacock soon :)
I’m still slowly piecing together the 40g lagoon setup which will be its permanent home. I don’t see much of it in the 10 because it has dug out a pit behind the rock, and it doesn’t come out very often when the lights are on. It just comes out when I tong feed it. It hasn’t molted yet either, so still no smashers; only soft foods for it right now.

I’m waiting for the first molt and recovery before I try moving it. I’m also going to set up the 40 in a way that will prevent it from digging a burrow in the back where I can’t see anything.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still slowly piecing together the 40g lagoon setup which will be its permanent home. I don’t see much of it in the 10 because it has dug out a pit behind the rock, and it doesn’t come out very often when the lights are on. It just comes out when I tong feed it. It hasn’t molted yet either, so still no smashers; only soft foods for it right now.

I’m waiting for the first molt and recovery before I try moving it. I’m also going to set up the 40 in a way that will prevent it from digging a burrow in the back where I can’t see anything.
Sweet, sounds cool!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back