10 Gallon Juvenile Peacock Mantis Build

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider a bigger tank for an adult peacock as it will provide a lot more entertainment if they have plenty of area to explore.

That being said, I would keep the one you have as she/he seems very entertaining!!

I am guessing whoever said that was misinformed because they are identical coloring, just smaller.

Here is the one I had many years ago... she ended up constructing a tunnel the entire length of the 20g long from one end to the other.

That video is hilarious! It’s like a Charlie Chaplin film.

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon for mantis to lose their hammers, it happens during a bad molt, but they grow back to full use in 2-3 molt. I have seen it happen with mine, they come back.

i would look into dosing iodine as that will help with encouraging a healthy molt, just keep the dose small, especially while it is in the small tank.

i know you mentioned you were working on the larger tank, which is a good idea, a peacock of that size is likely not happy in that sized tank and a stressful molt is tough for a mantis to survive and it def won’t help with hammer growth.

hopefully yours doesn’t become a Lazy bum like mine did once it lost its club! now he just chills and knows he’ll get his shrimp, used to destory clam shells with one punch.

good luck!

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon for mantis to lose their hammers, it happens during a bad molt, but they grow back to full use in 2-3 molt. I have seen it happen with mine, they come back.

i would look into dosing iodine as that will help with encouraging a healthy molt, just keep the dose small, especially while it is in the small tank.

i know you mentioned you were working on the larger tank, which is a good idea, a peacock of that size is likely not happy in that sized tank and a stressful molt is tough for a mantis to survive and it def won’t help with hammer growth.

hopefully yours doesn’t become a Lazy bum like mine did once it lost its club! now he just chills and knows he’ll get his shrimp, used to destory clam shells with one punch.

good luck!
Well, the hammers are growing back. It had a successful molt at some point over the last few days. The only evidence I could find was this:
29388763-8559-4A98-900D-861D04CA181F.jpeg

That piece of carapace and the slightly regrown hammers were my signs of a good molt. It has been out more now as well. The 40g is coming along. I’m just waiting to get an ATO and a new stand.

32987BDF-47D4-4C99-AE16-EC308DE2499D.jpeg
B54F2E8D-E69C-475E-8C3F-046FFC0AFF59.jpeg
A7A763D5-BDAA-4B16-B1DC-3932D13489FD.jpeg

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis didn’t even use the pvc pipe I put in there. It ended up building its own burrow with all the chunks of crushed coral and shells in the tank. It was impressive to see, actually! I’ll just do the same thing in the 40. Deep sand, rocks, and lots of chunky stuff for it to scavenge and build with.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back