10 gallon nuvo deal...now questions

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the other day scrolling facebook marketplace a guy was selling an innovative marine 10 gallon nuvo tank. i hit him up an d he said if im willing to make the drive hed give it to me for $50. so after a week of trying to find a day to make the drive we settled on tuesday. the day comes and i make a two hour drive to pick up the tank thinking to myself theres no way its happening. im thinking something is going to be missing or damaged and to my surprise its in perfect condition. so now i want to figure out what im going to do with it . im probably only going to soft coral in it. some pulsing xenia, mushroom, grow out some zoas. im not sure what light to use. the tank is going to be in my bedroom so i was looking at the kessil h80 tuna blue with the controller. i use an ai prime 16 on my 50 gallon now so thats an option so i could use the app. are those overkill?

next is stocking. in a tank this small im thinking only two fish or three tiny fish. i have a hi fin goby in my 50 that i may try to catch and put in the 10 gallon with a pistol shrimp. possibly get him a lady friend.i can move over my banggaii cardinalfish also. it opens up some room in my 50 to add something different. but any recommendations for the 10 gallon tank? clown gobies maybe? i was going to avoid clownfish since i have clowns in my 50 gallon and the only other clown id want are goldstripe maroon clowns and im gonna assume the 10 gallon is too small since they are aggressive and a bigger clown. my 50 gallon has purple firefish so i kinda dont want to do firefish again. im at a loss with what i can do fish wise here. i usually like to have a "show" fish and supporting cast but with this small im not sure what i could do. i do have the screen top for it

also should i upgrade the pump the tank comes with? its the stock pump you get when you buy the tank. in my 50 gallon i use a reef octopus varios pump and love the dc controllable aspect. is that possible with a small 10 gallon?

and lastly should i do a circulation pump? i know they help with the gas exchange and prevent detritus but if i can get a better return pump do i need a circulation pump? i was looking at an ai nero pump. i would like an mp10 since i have an mp40 on my 50 gallon but i figure for what i plan on doing its extreme overkill.

any input is welcome. side note someone in my family slipped up and was looking at fish tanks on my ipad. they didnt close the tab and i happened to see an order for a waterbox 20 gallon cube. that might be mine in the future.. so well see! might fill my apartment with nano tanks. by the time i buy a house i could have a tank for every room lol.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the IM 10g! I think that the AI16 would be a good light for the 10g and, depending on the dimensions of the 50g, one light to consider is the Noopsyche K7Pro2. Some people upgrade the return pump and some people add a small circulation pump. One or two pairs of shrimp/gobies would seem to be a good option. I have a IM 10g also that I am in the process of re-scaping so I will be interested to see what you do with your tank - good luck!

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the IM 10g! I think that the AI16 would be a good light for the 10g and, depending on the dimensions of the 50g, one light to consider is the Noopsyche K7Pro2. Some people upgrade the return pump and some people add a small circulation pump. One or two pairs of shrimp/gobies would seem to be a good option. I have a IM 10g also that I am in the process of re-scaping so I will be interested to see what you do with your tank - good luck!
thank you man. im excited. i did realize i got one of the older nuvo 10s that didnt have the dc pump but for $50 it was worth it. i could use the pump that came with it for my 5 gallon buckets when mixing salt.
i have the ai 16 on the 50 gallon now. considering its just a cube it works pretty well. zoas, euphyllia, and bubble tip anemones are doing well. i did realize that the kessil with the controller is more expensive than the ai16 so i might just go with the ai16. im thinking just getting the dc return pump that normally comes with the newer nuvo 10 tanks. and probably just an ai nero 3. stocking wise im really not sure what i want to do. probably just going to move my goby and banggaii over. get a pistol shrimp and a mate for the goby. i do have that waterbox 20 gallon coming soon, so i may set that tank up with a pair of goldstripe maroon clowns and bubble tip anemones. nothing else.

i would love to see yours when its done. im gonna need some inspiration haha. would love to see updates.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your limited to a few fish I would consider utilitarian fish. Too small for a tang- but a cheap fish that does graze algae from rocks are Molly’s.

I have a few in my frag tank and people always comment on how do I keep freshwater fish in salt water- there cheap and active and can go in 10gal.

just figured I would share. Congrats on the new tank, can’t wait to see what you do with it.
Happy reefing!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you man. im excited. i did realize i got one of the older nuvo 10s that didnt have the dc pump but for $50 it was worth it. i could use the pump that came with it for my 5 gallon buckets when mixing salt.
i have the ai 16 on the 50 gallon now. considering its just a cube it works pretty well. zoas, euphyllia, and bubble tip anemones are doing well. i did realize that the kessil with the controller is more expensive than the ai16 so i might just go with the ai16. im thinking just getting the dc return pump that normally comes with the newer nuvo 10 tanks. and probably just an ai nero 3. stocking wise im really not sure what i want to do. probably just going to move my goby and banggaii over. get a pistol shrimp and a mate for the goby. i do have that waterbox 20 gallon coming soon, so i may set that tank up with a pair of goldstripe maroon clowns and bubble tip anemones. nothing else.

i would love to see yours when its done. im gonna need some inspiration haha. would love to see updates.

You don't have to wait for my tank to come together for inspiration - in the Members Build section (specifically the nano section) there are several IM 10g Nuvo tank build threads that you can check out! Good luck!

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your limited to a few fish I would consider utilitarian fish. Too small for a tang- but a cheap fish that does graze algae from rocks are Molly’s.

I have a few in my frag tank and people always comment on how do I keep freshwater fish in salt water- there cheap and active and can go in 10gal.

just figured I would share. Congrats on the new tank, can’t wait to see what you do with it.
Happy reefing!
i actually have a lined blenny in my 50 that im considering moving over. just waiting to get everything together then ill decide

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to wait for my tank to come together for inspiration - in the Members Build section (specifically the nano section) there are several IM 10g Nuvo tank build threads that you can check out! Good luck!
im in there all the time trust me lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back