10 gallon RUGF live rock aquarium build!

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we got the yes from mom!!!!!11!11!!1!1!!!11!!!!!

20 gal got scrapped as an idea due to weight and cause my mom's friend upgraded their axolotl tank to a 50 gallon tank from a 20g tank from a 10g tank. (same way i got the 20 long) she gave us the stand for the tank after a while of talking about it cause she never got around to it. so i have this nice stand made from steel that has some nice scrollwork on it, i plan to grow some plants in the stand eventually cause the tank will be in a sunny window & theres some cool viney plants (idk what they are, they are just easy to keep cause i got some in my tupperwarium) in my neighborhood. long story short, starting to build the tank next week, building everything up by the 13th of march mabye getting the LR before that, if not i will get it on the 17th and fish on the weekend of the 19th-20th

ok heres my questions that i have at the time of writing this

1. with an rugf, can you install a heater under it or is this just a bad idea? main concern would be that once its set up you could not remove the heater from the system benefit is that its hidden well.

2. i read in paul b's book that pipefish cannot be easily kept in small mixed reefs for 3 reasons 1. you cant keep them with nems, does this apply to lps corals? 2. they need lots of small food, i will be having 10 lbs of copepod rich live rock, is this enough, can some eat frozen or do they eat only live food? 3. in a rugf, you have to stir the gravel once a year, will this cause the pipefish to die, their gill holes are tiny and they will get clogged with detritus, does this apply to larger pipes or only bluestripes, i dont think paul would keep a janss pipefish in his mixed reef if he wasnt prepared to deal with the detritus issue or the fish was resilient to it

3. what are some good fish to start a 10 gallon rugf live rock system with, i currently have one of the planned fish already in my 20 gal, the aptasia eating filefish. idk if i will add him first though, was considering doing a caribean biotope and just letting him be an invasive/stand in/ permanent vacationer cause there are many species almost identical to him and i want to keep him in a lower flow system.

4. what corals benefit most from living in a rugf system? i plan to keep mostly soft coral & LPS coral. i would be keeping the stony corals as a standin for some gulf corals. i know there are a few legal stony corals, does anyone have info on their care or how to obtain them?

upates coming soon

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anemones, but they need a good supply of tiny copepods and other teeny food to feed on. Strong flow can also be a bit much for them. They're very finicky eaters, and while I'd love one I've yet to have any success keeping them.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i finally got the tank up on saturday evening, while i was doing it i had such a strong sense of childish glee, like getting the lego death star for your birthday and your parents finally let you put it together! the water was freezing and i probably got hypothermia but that was fixed, i added my manly 300w heater to the tank and it got to 78 degrees by morning. also rinsing the crushed coral went off without a problem, i didnt even get a single grain of it own the drain. on sunday morning the tank was crystal clear & was doing all the shimmering i would expect to happen in a sunlit tank. i thought now is a good time as any & i added a bit of sand and some rubble with a mithrax crab and some macro. tank was still looking empty and there was a ton of bacteria in there so i added the 1st fish (es) which were my pair of cardinals, i imagine they are quite hardy like other cardinals & they would do well in there & help control bristleworm populations when i get the live rock (tuesday) as O. angustatus are known to predate on benthic invertebrates and polychate worms by night. they are much more similar to sweepers and their relitaves in my opinion. when they hunt, they have a head down position hounding through the substrate looking for their prey (pellets, for now... dont get mad at me!) i will be getting the rest of my equipment on sunday & i will get some corals this weekend too along with adding my small sps collection, i just plan for the 20g to be a fowlr w/ macroalgae but experimenting with different species of softies until i find one suitable for my tank. keeping sps is a pain in the butt when your tank has a high bioload & no sunlight. this weekend, whatever water i have that isnt being used for topping up my tanks will be used in a water change to counter the ammonia spike from my live rock (if i have one)

SPECS: *U = final equipment*

1. direct sunlight from 9:00-11:00 and a 1000 lumen led light bulb (any guesses on PAR) 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
1U. direct sun 9:00-11:00 & Aquaknight 30w led

2. whisper pf 10 filter (110gph)
2U. Aquaclear 30 that needs the U-tube replaced or sealed somehow (150 gph)

3. AQQA wavemaker (500gph)

4U. digiten auto top off

5U. marineland percision heater (50w)

TLDR: set up tank, added pair of cardinals, getting live rock tuesday, getting rest of equipment sunday, adding sps corals from established tank & some new corals.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need enabling to get through until this weekend cause idk at all what to buy. i kinda have 2 options A: screw coral, just get palys, shrooms, gorgs feed the stuff on my live rock and all the invasive stuff. make a total nitrate sink in there B: get some nicer corals like sps. A pros: cheap, more coral volume i can buy, i like sofites, will fight off dinos and nusciance algaes, easier to light & will look better under sunlight. A cons: invasive stuff & not prettiest corals but i can probably throw some sps in there. B pros, nice sps fish can live in, sps is cool, lets me not stress about my 20g. B cons, sps expensive & fragile.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lr is here, i told my mom to just put it in the tank. let it rip.... everyone say a prayer that there is not a 18" tiger mantis shrimp crawling around in there

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY a ton of growths on the live rock

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some rock pics

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i got home, i found a massive tunicate the size of my thumb & i was like OMG! i can take care of this, so i went downstairs and i got some marine snow from the fridge (can this be kept outta the fridge, its a pain to go up and down stairs a bunch of times. i accidentally fed a 40gal dose instead of a 20gal dose & everything went crazy happy. my cardinals were sitting there eating it for hours & the tunicate was filtering it all. within a couple hours it was all gone & the water was like crystal. there were also a ton of sponges i want to keep, how do i tell if they are alive or not? i also repaired my aquaclear 30 with some thermoplastic (hot glue) & it works like a charm on my tank. i should get my heater, ato, & light on sunday or monday. should i get a lot of softies like palys, gorgs & things because they like to filter feed? what other corals will filter feed that are still photosynthetic. i plan to wait a ew weeks for detritus build up before i start stirring my gravel to feed the tunicate

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a ton of stuff, my euqipment should get here wednesday, hipagero was like "lol it would be hilarious if we made it so you cant recieve an aquaknight until april 17th" so im just gonna get a nicrew light cause its basically the same thing. over the weekend i got the following: royal grandma, named junior after @Casket_Case, a falco hawk, i just called him pellet biter for now cause he likes to eat the pellets i feed but im oppen to suggestions. for coral, i got a 2 headed teal ric, a massive solid neon green mushroom, a nepthea, some palys and zoas, parazoanthus mixed in. and i got a huge colony of pagoda coral & then i got punked out of a gorg frag for $40 because i wanted one so badly i was like "meh, id rather have a gorg than 2 more zoa frags" i gotta move the cardinals back to the original tank for a while cause the gramma is just a morsel (hence the name junior) and im scared he wont get enough food to eat cause the cardinals are so boisterous, im not really concerned about the hawkfish stealing food cause he will just be so self absorbed in just 1 area of food, cardinals just attack all over the tank and scare the gramma. the cardinals are kinda big too. it was ironic cause there were some other ostrhincus cardinalfsih with him in the store but they were tiny like him and he would boss over the but now they are like 3x bigger than him lol

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
miscellaneous spam

Attachments

• Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.33 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.33 PM.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.34 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.34 PM.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM #3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM #2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.35 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.35 PM.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.36 PM.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.37 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.37 PM.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.38 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.38 PM.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.39 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.39 PM #2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.40 PM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-22 at 3.40 PM.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 56

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back