10 gallon to 160 gallon reef tank transfer need help

prefereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi reefers,
I'm new here and i need some help with transferring my small tank (10 gallon) to a larger tank (160 gallon) the new tank will be here in around a week or 2 , and so i have been searching for awhile and mostly what i have found is that most tank transfer usually not that big of a gap for the tank size and they usually don't have a problem transferring the old tank to the new one on the same day, and my question is do i still need to cycle my tank since its quite a huge gap for a very small tank to a very big one, or i have no problem moving all my media, coral, fish to my new tank on the same day, any help would be great thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but my sense is going from 10G to 160G is a lot like starting new. Personally I’d move rock and coral (not sand — but some do) and then use Fritz Turbostart to get things moving. I’m sure others will have better / more specific advice.

OP
OP
P

prefereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but my sense is going from 10G to 160G is a lot like starting new. Personally I’d move rock and coral (not sand — but some do) and then use Fritz Turbostart to get things moving. I’m sure others will have better / more specific advice.
thanks for the info, btw I have anemone too should i move it with other coral ? also I have question about my current beneficial bacteria is it base on the live stock you current have to survive on or is it base on the tank and how much water it have and grow base on the tank size it needed? and should i move half of my current beneficial bacteria media over to my new tank? sorry for the silly questions.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move all rock and bio media over. It will help populate your new rock with life, pods, bacteria... I wouldn't add a ton of new fish for a while but the old rock is cycled rock so it's fine to add fish and corals. Adding bottled bacteria product wouldn't hurt for the new rock.

OP
OP
P

prefereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move all rock and bio media over. It will help populate your new rock with life, pods, bacteria... I wouldn't add a ton of new fish for a while but the old rock is cycled rock so it's fine to add fish and corals. Adding bottled bacteria product wouldn't hurt for the new rock.
alright thank! so i can safely move all my coral, fish, bio media, rock on the same day right? just need to safely aclimate them before moving it, i will be using new dry sand though, and i did have a brightwell bac7 on my hand now for the new rocks and new bio media just hope it will be ok moving them.

colingud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright thank! so i can safely move all my coral, fish, bio media, rock on the same day right? just need to safely aclimate them before moving it, i will be using new dry sand though, and i did have a brightwell bac7 on my hand now for the new rocks and new bio media just hope it will be ok moving them.
Hey seeing this post now but what did you end up doing? i dont think its a good idea to insta transfer all that stuff as most of the water will be new, i dont know if your nems or sensitive corals will take it well. if you can keep the 10g running for a couple months longer you can slowly move things over as you see the tank cycling visibly or by testing.

let me know what you do/did

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back