10 year old clown fish is very ill. Please help ASAP. May die...

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it - Paraguard is more like a 'formaldehyde' type treatment (that doesnt contain formaldehyde. There are some protocols using for Brook using paraguard - that said - if you think this is a bacterial infection - what antibiotic are you using to treat it?

Paraguard was said to treat gram negative and positive and viral infections

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I didn't want to mix too many medications because of the state the fish was in and the all different answers I was getting about insisting brooks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems like its more for 'parasites' (hence the name) - and perhaps secondary bacteria/fungal infections - the malachite green may help against bacteria - The Aldehydes are for treating the same thing as 'formaldehyde'. Was only suggesting that an antibiotic (an actual antibiotic - like Maracyn 2 , etc) may be helpful.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like its more for 'parasites' (hence the name) - and perhaps secondary bacteria/fungal infections - the malachite green may help against bacteria - The Aldehydes are for treating the same thing as 'formaldehyde'. Was only suggesting that an antibiotic (an actual antibiotic - like Maracyn 2 , etc) may be helpful.
Thank you so much for the response? Will mixing the medications hurt the fish?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I didn't want to mix too many medications because of the state the fish was in and the all different answers I was getting about insisting brooks

The trifecta cocktail of antibiotics treats a number of potential issues and has been found to be the best approach when it's difficult to pinpoint the exact issue. IME, you are just wasting time using paraguard and should have just done the trifecta, which would have taken care of practically any infection or brook.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 my API was going to be what I try next. What is your suggestion? I need to be able to find something local to treat today everything off Amazon is 2 days.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a nice article - which suggests that its probably not a good idea to mix antibiotics and formaldehyde-type medications. Since Paraguard is a mixture of multiple things as well - the best option would be to call Seachem (their tech support is available during the day - and can answer that question).

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 my API was going to be what I try next. What is your suggestion? I need to be able to find something local to treat today everything off Amazon is 2 days.

Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex simultaneously.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just to recap - the fish has been in Paraguard for 3 days? Nothing else correct? Will ask #reefsquad again - maybe they can give some new information. If there is no improvement - and the fish is getting worse - I (Personally) would risk adding either furan 2 or maracyn 2 - but I wouldn't see any problem with calling Seachem and asking them the 'chemistry' part.

PS - are you making sure that you've really increased the oxygenation in the QT tank? PPS - are you using the 'dip' dose or the 'regular' Paraguard dose. If you did the dip (and then put the fish into a clean sterile tank - to which antibiotics were added that may be the best compromise

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to recap - the fish has been in Paraguard for 3 days? Nothing else correct? Will ask #reefsquad again - maybe they can give some new information. If there is no improvement - and the fish is getting worse - I (Personally) would risk adding either furan 2 or maracyn 2 - but I wouldn't see any problem with calling Seachem and asking them the 'chemistry' part.
Hi exactly today is the 3rd day. Thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi exactly today is the 3rd day. Thank you
I added this to my other message - dont know if you saw it:
PS - are you making sure that you've really increased the oxygenation in the QT tank? PPS - are you using the 'dip' dose or the 'regular' Paraguard dose. If you did the dip (and then put the fish into a clean sterile tank - to which antibiotics were added that may be the best compromise

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this to my other message - dont know if you saw it:
Hi it's a big tank 20 gallons I put an oversized filter on the back and an oxygen stone in it. I'm on my way to find furan 2 by API. The only place nearby is PetSmart

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi it's a big tank 20 gallons I put an oversized filter on the back and an oxygen stone in it. I'm on my way to find furan 2 by API. The only place nearby is PetSmart

FYI Petsmart may have metroplex and kanaplex as well...

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats doxycycline - so that wouldn't be bad. (treats gram positives and negatives).
On paraguard forums the support said it treated gram negative and positive and we recommend to me who knows a lot about clowns. I'm trying to work as fast I can to save the clown here but so much different information has been thrown at me. I just know it's not brooks or vevlet. Which kill fast and look completely different. My fish has no slime just skin that looks like it was slowly worn down.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On paraguard forums the support said it treated gram negative and positive and we recommend to me who knows a lot about clowns. I'm trying to work as fast I can to save the clown here but so much different information has been thrown at me. I just know it's not brooks or vevlet. Which kill fast and look completely different. My fish has no slime just skin that looks like it was slowly worn down.

If you only have 'one choice' - that one at Petsmart - that will treat bacterial infections. I would check the Paraguard instructions and mix up the 'stronger version' and do a dip with that - according to instructions - then clean the tank the fish is in - add the antibiotic - and watch (assuming you dont think its a parasite).

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I've ordered every last thing thing on the cocktail list and paid any and everything to have it here tomorrow. Should I still use the API body cure today? I'm thinking about putting the fish back in my main display restarting the hospital tank again. Please help. I've know this fish a large part of my life. I'll buy pay anything to heal the fish.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 'one choice' - that one at Petsmart - that will treat bacterial infections. I would check the Paraguard instructions and mix up the 'stronger version' and do a dip with that - according to instructions - then clean the tank the fish is in - add the antibiotic - and watch (assuming you dont think its a parasite).
I know it's not brooks or velvet I looked at thousands of photos and the fish would have died long ago. This seems to have been slow and progressive. Can you check my message above. Would that be the best course of action or add the body and fin cure by API today in the hospital tank?

Back