10 year old clowns still feeling frisky

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of ocellaris clowns have really been laying recently! This is the third batch of eggs in the past months time! They've lay before, maybe once or twice (that I've seen), but this last clutch is by far the biggest. Here's a dinky phone photo.
IMG_2716.JPG

You probably can't see because the quality is horrible, but these new eggs are mingled with the previous stragglers from the last batch. There are maybe 7 almost fully developed babies along the left side of the little crevice.

I've never tried raising any of the fry before, but is there a chance of doing so without moving the parents or eggs?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! My understanding on raising fry is that it's really difficult (borderline impossible) in our tanks due to the feeding requirements of the fry and likelihood of predation in such a confined space (not to mention death via protein skimmer or other filtration). Maybe someone who has done more research/experience than I can weigh in. #reefsquad

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine started laying, my wife wanted me to try to raise them. All research indicated another tank and setting up a rotifer system. I said no way. She said "come on, you can do it". I made her read what I read and her last comment was "well, I guess the fry makes good eating for the rest of the tank". Long story short...it would be awesome to try if you have the time and energy to do so.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine started laying, my wife wanted me to try to raise them. All research indicated another tank and setting up a rotifer system. I said no way. She said "come on, you can do it". I made her read what I read and her last comment was "well, I guess the fry makes good eating for the rest of the tank". Long story short...it would be awesome to try if you have the time and energy to do so.

Lol that doesn't sound promising. Mine will probably fall prey to the rest of my fish as well. I watched my peppermint shrimp give birth at one point and I have never seen my fish go more insane!

@Humblefish @Nick92515 @mdbannister

Yeah, there are some other fish in there. I was thinking rather than raising them in the display, that maybe there would be a chance to remove the fry as they hatch? Maybe just wishful thinking?

They're old, not dead! :D

Hahaha!
They don't even seem old... Fish age extremely well (;

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, I've heard of some removing the fry on the night they hatch using a flashlight so they swim to the surface. So I think that could be done.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I've heard of some removing the fry on the night they hatch using a flashlight so they swim to the surface. So I think that could be done.

Sounds sort of fun!
I'm assuming you'd shut off all the pumps as well so they don't get sloshed around?
I know it takes about a week before they hatch, but is there a way to absolutely know what day it'll be?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been a while since I looked in to it, but I think you remove them the night before they actually hatch. What I remember is needing to put something "removable" (ie: clay pot) in the display, near their host, for them to lay on. Then that gets transferred.

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a multi-step process to have success raising a clutch of clownfish. The main thing is to have a supply of Rotifers on hand to feed the fry. I was fortunate to have my clownfish lay her eggs on a piece of rock that I could easily remove from my tank. In the event that you can not remove the rock, you'll have to wait for hatch night, and manually scoop the fry out and transfer them to the hatch tank. For me hatch night is 8 days after a he clutch is laid, which has been pretty consistent for me. My hatch tank is just 2.5 gallons which is a great size to keep the Rotifers in concentration, which makes it easier for the fry to find their food. Of course this is only the beginning. There will be a lot of steps to get these little guys to the juvenile stage, but it is so rewarding. Let me know if I could be of any assistance. Would be glad to help you out.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a multi-step process to have success raising a clutch of clownfish. The main thing is to have a supply of Rotifers on hand to feed the fry. I was fortunate to have my clownfish lay her eggs on a piece of rock that I could easily remove from my tank. In the event that you can not remove the rock, you'll have to wait for hatch night, and manually scoop the fry out and transfer them to the hatch tank. For me hatch night is 8 days after a he clutch is laid, which has been pretty consistent for me. My hatch tank is just 2.5 gallons which is a great size to keep the Rotifers in concentration, which makes it easier for the fry to find their food. Of course this is only the beginning. There will be a lot of steps to get these little guys to the juvenile stage, but it is so rewarding. Let me know if I could be of any assistance. Would be glad to help you out.

Thank you! I can't remove the rock because it's both huge and has the host anemone attached to it. If I'm home, and have the opportunity to catch the fry, I will definitely hit you with some more questions!

I'm hoping they hatch before classes start so I have a chance to stay up all night and scoop 'em up!!

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When attempting the in tank transfer, you will have the best results if you have the room s dark as possible on hatch night, and wait at least 2 hours before you try to scoop them out. The room will still have to be dark, and when you are ready to light the tank just move it slowly to the spot where you will be scooping them out of the tank. This way they won't be spooked, increasing their chances of survival.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clowns @Ftrain576
How long does it take before the babies start showing patterns/ color?

IMG_1429.JPG

I haven't had the time to take any pictures recently, but here's my pair sometime in the past year.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invented a device to collect fry as soon as they are hatched. I don't have a picture on here but it is basically a container like a guppy hatchery at the surface. There are no holes in the box except a fine mesh, smaller than the fry to allow the water to escape. There is also a 3/8" tube that comes out of the box and sits right on the eggs. The tube has an air hose inserted in it's side near the bottom of the tube that pumps water into the box. As the eggs hatch, they get sucked into the box where the screen prevents them from escaping. I have used it with clownfish and clown gobies.
Clownfish are not that difficult to raise and I have raised them a few times. But it is time consuming

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invented a device to collect fry as soon as they are hatched. I don't have a picture on here but it is basically a container like a guppy hatchery at the surface. There are no holes in the box except a fine mesh, smaller than the fry to allow the water to escape. There is also a 3/8" tube that comes out of the box and sits right on the eggs. The tube has an air hose inserted in it's side near the bottom of the tube that pumps water into the box. As the eggs hatch, they get sucked into the box where the screen prevents them from escaping. I have used it with clownfish and clown gobies.
Clownfish are not that difficult to raise and I have raised them a few times. But it is time consuming

That's an awesome sounding way to collect!
I'm a little confused on how exactly the water is being pumped up. Can you explain that in more detail?
Thank you!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a tube that you put near the eggs and the other end goes into the container. An air hose is inserted near the bottom of that tube, in the side, near the eggs. The bubbles go up the tube bringing the water and fry with it.
It's like the old UG filters. It is just air bubbles going up a tube pushing water. I have a picture of it in my book but I don't have a picture of it I can post.

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the meta period which is short for metamorphosis. It usually occurs between the 9th and 14th day after hatch. This is the most critical period for the larvae and when you will have the most losses.I have found that plenty of available Rotifers, low gentle flow in the tank and not to strong a light, along with keeping the tank clean, will minimize any losses.

Back