100 display algae

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been cycled since Oct 8th it was spotless during cycle even after my 6 fish went in. Soon after adding LPS. My tank started getting diatoms and hair. Ita not terrible. The hair isnt super long pr bushy its fuzzy algae all over rocks lps plugs and little on sand. My po4 and no3 are now 0. Assuming algae is holding it. I tried a tooth brush and scrub the rocks inside the tank but it doesnt come off. One torch isnt looking happy and so I discovered it's the 0 nitrates and 0 phos now. I dont want to dose because it will just fuel the algae. I bought 25 trochus, 15 margaritas, 15 nassaruis when I finish cycle. Might have less now as some didnt make it in shipping and some died in tank before this outbreak. I ordered 25 astraea snails they come Tuesday.

Rock is cemented together with Marco so I cant remove everything.

Any suggestions to start knocking some out so my torch will recover.

I tried tweezers but hair is so fine it doesnt really pull it. Especially the short fuzzy stuff.

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it might be turf algae. I’d recommend turbo snails, especially Mexican turbos. They’ve done an incredible job for mine

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock isnt covered completely. But it's enough to bottom out po4 and no3 so torches are or happy right now. Hoping I can pull them through. Tank is new been cycled since Sept 8. Tank was spotless until frags were put in the tank
IMG_3294.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3299.jpg
IMG_3297(1).jpg

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the ones that people say knock over everything and are a pain
Probably, I had them knock a few of my things around. They work fast though, so you could probably rehome them after not too long if you wanted. I’d do around 8-10, maybe more if you don’t plan on keeping them. Your tank doesn’t look too bad right now

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the best thing you can do is to not do anything. This is ultimately part of the cycling process.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what the 25 astrea snails do. Ita not horrible now. Plugs are worst part. But the problem is they are using all no3 and po4. So corals arent happy. So I need a solution to hope the unhappy torch loves. Rest look ok still. Other touch is happy. Just one. is super upset. I tested no3 on redsea kit. No color and po4 on hanna ult phosphorus and that's 0ppb.

Starting to sweat a little. I know it's a new tank. I'm a stress case lol

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the best thing you can do is to not do anything. This is ultimately part of the cycling process.

+1 - You can cause big problems (Dino) by trying too hard to treat hair algae on such a young tank. Go slow, add clean-up crew and look forward to a year-out.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copy that.. is it basically a gamble like this or how do i keep the torches happy as the po4 and no3 bottom out by algae.. i can dose or feed more, but wont algae just keep going and keep it at 0 and become out of control... i just need the lps to survive this. not sure how to keep atleast the single unhappy torch on life support of the period of this algae.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we brushed alot or the rock. Looks better still some fuzz in some rocks. We removed all frag plugs that had lots of fuzz on it and used a tooth brush. The sand still has the fuzzy green algae that is binding the sand grains togetherrnot sure how to remove it without removing entire top layer of sand in some areas. So hopefully with the brushing and the 35g water change. It will help.

I have 0 no3 and po4 because of algae so the water change wasnt to lower the level. It was just a water change after the scrub. And also to put 0tds water in since I was putting 2 tds after checking rodi

Back