100 gallon tank vs nano

dynastyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first ever reef tank I already have a 100 gallon tank that is in the works but also debating on getting a nano and trying that first. Should I just start with the 100 or start off smaller

859EFE99-7E1D-42F6-9347-E77499F97A47.jpeg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat, I have a 200 gallon tank that I can't set up until we buy a house, but it was recommended to me to start with something smaller to get some practical knowledge since I've been researching for years. We set up a 20 gallon nano in August and I'm interested to see where your journey takes you! Larger tanks are more stable, smaller tanks have less/cheaper equipment, and thus easier to fix if (when) something goes wrong. Tons of pros to either option, plenty of cons as well!

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger tank offers more stability, so more forgiving for mistakes. The smaller tank is cheaper and easier to set up and will be full of coral faster. If you do both the nano could be your "canary in a coal mine" for the larger tank. Be sure to get an ATO (auto top off) for both tanks, but especially for the nano. The nano can also make a nice QT tank while you get fish.

OP
OP
dynastyreefs

dynastyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat, I have a 200 gallon tank that I can't set up until we buy a house, but it was recommended to me to start with something smaller to get some practical knowledge since I've been researching for years. We set up a 20 gallon nano in August and I'm interested to see where your journey takes you! Larger tanks are more stable, smaller tanks have less/cheaper equipment, and thus easier to fix if (when) something goes wrong. Tons of pros to either option, plenty of cons as well!
Welcome!!

How about both?! Double the knowledge????
i am going to end up running both haha

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. I started with the nano (34 gal) and went to the larger tank. I still love my small tank, use it for QT, frag storage, and other times when you just need another tank ;) I will be making it into a chalice show tank - corals I love but don't work with the other tank. If you have the budget, get another. then another, then another. ....

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first ever reef tank I already have a 100 gallon tank that is in the works but also debating on getting a nano and trying that first. Should I just start with the 100 or start off smaller

Welcome dynastyreefs.
Start with the 100 and sump.
I added a 20g satellite plumbed to same sump, after a couple of years, if you have the room.

scdigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 welcome.jpg

Hello and welcome to R2R! i would start with the 100. If you can afford both then do both, but if i had to make a choice between the two i would go with the 100.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back