100 mantis shrimps in one tank

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Hong Kong and mantis shrimp are a delicacy here. I don’t eat them but thought I’d share this. The tank is actually wider. I couldn’t fit all in picture.

C118880A-7372-4E7A-BCE4-B12F1D66D7FA.jpeg

6D69F5D9-13C6-4A1D-B298-2EFB62890CD2.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. In Asia, livestock is seen as food and they don’t really think about them as living. Walk into any big restaurant and they’ve got tanks stuffed full of all kinds of aquatic life.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll still eat them anyway.
I’m more interested in how they breed them. No way they can catch them in the wild in these numbers. There are thousands of restaurants that have them. Do the math.

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. In Asia, livestock is seen as food and they don’t really think about them as living. Walk into any big restaurant and they’ve got tanks stuffed full of all kinds of aquatic life.

not just aquatic.. on one of my many business trips to china, I saw dogs monkeys and turtles in cages, where you just go and point at what you want to eat..
needless to say I refused to go in..

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not just aquatic.. on one of my many business trips to china, I saw dogs monkeys and turtles in cages, where you just go and point at what you want to eat..
In Hong Kong, they’re much more civilized than in China. But they do eat frogs and a type of turtle they call “water turtle” here. But in China I’ve seen it all. Pigeons, dogs, you name it. If it walks... (btw pigeon is yummy. Don’t hate ;Wacky)

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I’m not spreading hate on Hong Kong through this, as it’s not my intent. Just shedding light on one aspect. People in Hong Kong are great, well-educated and generally speak English quite well. I don’t want to feed into a stereotype about anything. Hoping to keep the subject on hand at-hand.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And let’s not forget the Yulin dog meat festival...sadly some tourists apparently go there too...

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. love hong kong (although its expensive to stay..), back to topic - poor shrimps..
HK is expensive, yes. ;Muted Raising 2 boys here. But, I eat regular shrimp quite often, so I can’t talk. But I do feel for the mantis shrimp. I even hate seeing fish fighting for space at restaurant tanks, waiting to be yanked out and thrown on a plate.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR - are you originally from HK and, if not, where have you hailed from?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey different cultures eat different things. We have tanks full of lobsters; they have tanks full of shrimp. It's not really that disgusting as far as I can see. Just a different culture eating what it finds to be appetizing. I've learned not to knock most things till you try them. I'd try a mantis if offered one.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR - are you originally from HK and, if not, where have you hailed from?
Born in southern Illinois. Moved to Hawaii as a teenager. Moved to HK in my late twenties. In my mid thirties now. I just keep going west.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not judge.

I'm sure there are things in our diet that leave them feeling the same way about us.
I dont see this as anything different than lobster tanks at a grocery store. However that is cramped so hopefully theyre not in the for long.

Back