100 mantis shrimps in one tank

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Spain we eat most species of shrimp and I do recommend you if you travel abroad.

We are almost like Chinese when talking about food. XD

And they taste so good ...
giphy.gif

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pronounced GINAH. They’re beating us in exports, in manufacturing, and in mantis shrimp consumption!
We just don’t win anymore!

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Hong Kong and mantis shrimp are a delicacy here. I don’t eat them but thought I’d share this. The tank is actually wider. I couldn’t fit all in picture.

C118880A-7372-4E7A-BCE4-B12F1D66D7FA.jpeg

6D69F5D9-13C6-4A1D-B298-2EFB62890CD2.jpeg
Those aren’t truly the mean type of mantis shrimp, they’re quite mellow, and delicious. Kind of taste like lobster, but I think better. I have those every time I visit HK, one of my favorite dish, salt and pepper dish. Wish they had them here in the US.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e eaten Mantis shrimp. They taste like shrimp with a lobster accent maybe,, like a rock shrimp . we have a large commercial white shrimp industry here & these guys get plenty of "shrimp mammy's " in their nets . they cull them out & ship to china & ports in the far east.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e eaten Mantis shrimp. They taste like shrimp with a lobster accent maybe,, like a rock shrimp . we have a large commercial white shrimp industry here & these guys get plenty of "shrimp mammy's " in their nets . they cull them out & ship to china & ports in the far east.
My mother in law cooks them every once in awhile. I’ve never tried. I try to stay away from shellfish actually because I’ve gotten sick eating shellfish in Asia before. The oceans around here are dirty near the shorelines.

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see this as anything different than lobster tanks at a grocery store. However that is cramped so hopefully theyre not in the for long.
I was thinking the same thing, some name brand restaurants have tanks of lobster when you walk in the door

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely don't hate, here in the US, its not uncommon to see Lobster tanks in restaurants, and easily see the same thing with cray fish, which I'd think they're all in the same family. And honestly if they're aqua culturing them, at least they're not harvesting them from the wild. I am intrigued by them being so colorless, I assume its how they feed them. If I'd be in country, and felt it was safe, and part of the culture I'd try them, but mostly just to do it once to check it off my 'animals eaten' list, and to gross out my kids and wife.

Newstead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was studying in China in 94 we ofyen heard this about a certain province in the South- "They eat everything in the sky but planes, everything in the sea but boats, and everything on 4 legs but tables" .
I became a vegetarian as soon as I returned to the US - seeing monkeys, dogs, etc. sold for food was devastating.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how this is any different than lobster in a tank or cattle in a field...

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not any different than lobsters in a tank or chickens at a chicken farm in the US. These are food. There are so many of them because people buy them by the plate full, not one at a time like a lobster. If there are 100 in the tank that may only by 10-20 orders of mantis shrimp. I would say that they aren’t in that tank for very long at all.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in southern Illinois. Moved to Hawaii as a teenager. Moved to HK in my late twenties. In my mid thirties now. I just keep going west.
sooner or later that's east right;)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not any different than lobsters in a tank or chickens at a chicken farm in the US. These are food. There are so many of them because people buy them by the plate full, not one at a time like a lobster. If there are 100 in the tank that may only by 10-20 orders of mantis shrimp. I would say that they aren’t in that tank for very long at all.

I lived in Japan years ago and had a horse steak. I can't remember what it tasted like, just that it was really good! People in the US are horrified, but it's no different than eating beef; just that people consider horses as pets here. I love cows and think they are cute, but I have no problem eating them. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a lot of mantis !!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Japan years ago and had a horse steak. I can't remember what it tasted like, just that it was really good! People in the US are horrified, but it's no different than eating beef; just that people consider horses as pets here. I love cows and think they are cute, but I have no problem eating them. :)
I ate horse at a yakiniku restaurant in Nagoya, Japan. It was on a platter that also had pork and beef on it and we weren’t sure which meet was which.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is freaking out but our enjoyment of a Mantis vs a regular old gulf shrimp is pretty arbitrary. Mantis are just "cooler" than the crustaceans we eat for food here in the West. Heck, if you eat Pork there is no way you can complain about people eating Mantis. Pigs are actually smart. (and tasty)
I dont see this as anything different than lobster tanks at a grocery store. However that is cramped so hopefully theyre not in the for long.
The tanks in my local Asian grocery don't look much different. They don't sell mantis though. :(

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a peacock mantis that is my favorite pet right now. If I went to a restaurant that served them, I would try them. Doesn’t bother me one bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back