OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These aren’t as pretty as the peacocks. But some of them have beautiful coloring when you look closely at them.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having spent 20 years in the military, some of you would cringe at dishes that I have eaten around the world. The most delicious was a horse flank steak that I had in Paris. :)
Having travelled and lived all over the world, I have seen and tried it all. Nothing surprises me anymore.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now it's time for some local Hong Kong snacks

hk-sh.jpg

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eaten mantis shrimp in Thailand, where they are considered lobsters, and are wild caught by commercial fishermen. As far as I know they are not farm-raised, but they are much less expensive than we North Americans are accustomed to paying for cold water lobsters from Maine. They have a much stronger flavor than true lobsters, and I can't say I'd go out of my way for them.

My Thai wife does not like them and assumed that Maine lobsters would be equally distasteful to her, but after trying Maine lobster, she's a big fan.

I see very little difference between the OP's photo of the shrimp tank and the big tank of live lobsters at every Red Lobster restaurant I've ever visited. Those who think there's something sad or evil about it need to get out more.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not just aquatic.. on one of my many business trips to china, I saw dogs monkeys and turtles in cages, where you just go and point at what you want to eat..
needless to say I refused to go in..
Same in south korea. I seen a huge hex tank outside with monster oscars in it. I got super excited cause I thought it was a pet store. It wasn't

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same in south korea. I seen a huge hex tank outside with monster oscars in it. I got super excited cause I thought it was a pet store. It wasn't
Wait. They were selling oscars for food?

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep some were close to 24" Beautiful tiger oscars. Also eels and fish Ive never seen before.
I’ve been to SK many times before and have never seen oscars for sale. What part of SK was this? I’ve eaten live octopus there many times. In fact, I’m going there next week.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. They were selling oscars for food?

Oscars are cichlids just like Tilapia. Oscars are a common food fish in their native tropical South America, and an invasive imported species in many other tropical parts of the world. There are wild populations of oscars and other cichlids in south China, believed to be due to the ornamental fish/aquarium trade.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back