$100 OFF - The ReefBot automated water testing device is NOW available for purchase!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think the redsea ca is still in beta mode because that involves the dissolving of a powder which is not fully tested yet.

kwan8911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I use all API, which work fine but are not perfectly suitable for normal reefing ranges and have low resolution. The exception is Ca, which is fantastic.

I have tested Red Sea and Salifert alk, which I will use when API is used up.
API Ca as mentioned before is great, so I use that.
NO3 is API as that is the only available test, but they are adding other options sometime soon.
I have tested Tropic Marin PO4 and it is great, Giesmann should be as well. I recommend TM PO4 as I have tested it.

I just PM @drernesto, he tole me that the Tropic Marin PO4 test is still in R&D and not yet available. Which TM PO4 test kit did you use ? PRO or regular ?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just PM @drernesto, he tole me that the Tropic Marin PO4 test is still in R&D and not yet available. Which TM PO4 test kit did you use ? PRO or regular ?
Pro, and not in the machine itself. I tested the kit. It has great performance (the testkit). I’m sorry about that, I should have made that important distinction. I am waiting for reefbot firmware update to put TM Pro PO4 kit to work in reefbot.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-phosphate-po4-test-kit-tropic-marin.html

The Red Sea and salifert Alk testkit tests I used the reefbot.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question...

If using API for Kh, How does the Reefbot get the test done since the test works drop by drop until the color changes from blue to bright yellow?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question...

If using API for Kh, How does the Reefbot get the test done since the test works drop by drop until the color changes from blue to bright yellow?
It goes dropwise.

Edit: I guess you are asking how it knows. I think I know but I don’t think it’s ok to share what they may consider proprietary intellectual property.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also...
Is there a comprehensive list of ALL testing reagents (all brands) that work with the ReefBot?

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question...

Hello @Dj City ,

This process is called titration.
As you can see in the attached picture, the ReefBot is pre-programed to do this tasks. The syringe will drop reagents and the sensor will read the color change after each drop.

API Kh.png

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also...
Is there a comprehensive list of ALL testing reagents (all brands) that work with the ReefBot?

Here you go:

Salifert KH/Alkalinity Pro
RedSea KH/Alkalinity Pro, Magnesium Pro, Calcium (beta)
Giesmann Aquaristic Magnesium Professional, Phosphate
API Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Nitrate

we will be adding soon other brands and parameters

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It goes dropwise.

Edit: I guess you are asking how it knows. I think I know but I don’t think it’s ok to share what they may consider proprietary intellectual property.

So...
It does drop... test...drop...test...drop...test until it changes to bright yellow?

I just read your answers.

Thank you for the clarification!

Last edited:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
PERFECT!!!

I wonder

People say API tests are not that good. (except for Calcium)
with API tests, it is HARD to decipher the color and getting the amount of water and reagents right is not extremely accurate.
When you take human error out the equation and you take the human eye out the equation, does that make API tests equal to the others?

I guess my question is...
A robot that is accurate in dosing correct amounts and stirring reagents to specific time along with a "eye" that can correctly identify color, does that make API tests accurate?

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
PERFECT!!!

I wonder

People say API tests are not that good. (except for Calcium)
with API tests, it is HARD to decipher the color and getting the amount of water and reagents right is not extremely accurate.
When you take human error out the equation and you take the human eye out the equation, does that make API tests equal to the others?
yes, if the water you're testing is in the same test resolution.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, the API tests are no good not just due to hard to tell colors. The resolution and range for some of the kits are also what makes them bad choices to use. The API alk resolution is 1.0 dkh (1 drop per 1.0 dkh). So if your true alk were 8.3 dkh, it can only tell you if you have 8.0 dkh or 9.0 dkh. The API nitrate can only tell you if your nitrate level is 0 ppm, 5 ppm, 10 ppm, 20 ppm, or 40 ppm. Nothing in between. The API phosphate is no good due to the range tested.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, the API tests are no good not just due to hard to tell colors. The resolution and range for some of the kits are also what makes them bad choices to use. The API alk resolution is 1.0 dkh (1 drop per 1.0 dkh). So if your true alk were 8.3 dkh, it can only tell you if you have 8.0 dkh or 9.0 dkh. The API nitrate can only tell you if your nitrate level is 0 ppm, 5 ppm, 10 ppm, 20 ppm, or 40 ppm. Nothing in between. The API phosphate is no good due to the range tested.
This is why we mention if the user wants the same resolution of the specific test. We also have users in fish only tanks, ponds and fish farming that do not require the same accuracy of reef tanks :)

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
yes, if the water you're testing is in the same test resolution.

2 things...

To be clear, what you are saying is API tests should be about equal in accuracy to Salifert or Red Sea due to robotics?

Also, What do you mean when you say "if the water you're testing is in the same test resolution"?
Nevermind....
I understand. it just took a minute. (Brain fog)

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
2 things...

To be clear, what you are saying is API tests should be about equal in accuracy to Salifert or Red Sea due to robotics?

Also, What do you mean when you say "if the water you're testing is in the same test resolution"?
The user will get the same result if done correctly in manual. but you will be restricted to the test kit resolution which every user should decide what to choose according to his preference and need.

If you the water you're testing is below or above the test kit itself, you will get out of range results.

Cheers

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this. I was planning to wait on the Apex, since I'm heavily invested in their ecosystem, but like the flexibility of this system, and the ability to test things besides the big 3. Also with Trident, I don't believe there is a wide range of flexibility on testing frequency. I thought I read somewhere that the minimum is once per day. Other than maybe alkalinity, I'm just not that concerned with testing that frequently. It just burns through reagent quicker. Final straw for me was that I dose Trident Core 7, and there is no means to automate the modification of dosing based on Trident results, so it's integration with Apex doesn't add any real value. I might add that I'm not sure I'd want to automate dosing changes even if it were possible. I think for someone using a CaRx, the trident would be more useful. Turn the reactor on/off based upon testing and pH vales. Looking forward to receiving mine. I'll post in the other thread once I do, and how testing goes.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had similar considerations, but with Alkatronic. Trident was never going to be an option for me due to the required upgrade to the newer Apex. Don't need/want my dosing automated and want the ability to test the big 3 plus NO3 and phosphate. I think Trident min testing frequency was due to reagent expiration.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back