OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing jellyfish :) This is small Cassiopea jellyfish not yet ready to move out to the display. Born here at the museum.
Not in the same system as the 10000L coral tank. They have their own.
IMG_5221.JPG

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing jellyfish :) This is small Cassiopea jellyfish not yet ready to move out to the display. Born here at the museum.
IMG_5221.JPG
Well from corals most of us, more or less, know the husbandry and their beauty....but from jellyfish, most of us know nothing. So please show us , their display and write us some things , how do you keep them, not only alive but also multiplying them :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from corals most of us, more or less, know the husbandry and their beauty....but from jellyfish, most of us know nothing. So please show us , their display and write us some things , how do you keep them, not only alive but also multiplying them :)

I have to admit that I'm not the jelly expert here, my coworker Jens is the master. But I can give you a short version :)

Most jellyfish need special tanks, like kreisels, or pseudo kreisels(or other fancy names :)). With water movement like a slow washing machine. We have had and breed 3 different species of these swimming jellfish. That is a lot of work keeping the tanks clean and the jellyfish healty :confused: But then there is the Upside down jellyfish! They want a bottom, no or very little water motion, some light and some food. They release gamets -> larvae -> which settles to polyps at rocks. These polyps look like small hydroids and can sit and wait for years. When they think it's the right time, they strobilate. That means that they release small Ephyra(which are small jellyfish not yet with a whole round medusa. They look a bit like swimming seastars). After a couple of days the have formed a medusa and look like miniature jellyfish.

Breeding these Cassiopea jellyfish is pretty easy. We collect polyps and let them sit in a bucket with a heater, some bubbles and light. We feed them mostly newly hatched brine shrimps, but they probably eat rotifers and copepods as well. The polyps often starts to devide and become more and more in number. And now we want them to stobilate. This is the part were Jens is the magician, he plays with temperature and salinity and sooner or later they start releasing ephyras. Those are easy to collect and we put them in small buckets with light and bubbles. Do water changes 1-2/week. These species tolerates almost everything, we have had them in really high salinity by accident but they didn't mind at all.

Yes, I almost fortgot. These jellyfish have Zooxhanthelle algae just like corals do, so they get much of their energi from the light.

I'll try to get out to the exhibit and take a couple of pictures later.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it difficult to keep cuddlefish in captivity? How much space do they need/other requirements?
I have written some about that at page 7 in this thread, have a look there! :)

But short answer is no, it's not hard. But there is a but, they want live food or to be fed(can not just throw in a dead shrimp, no no, that's no fun. You need to dangle and wave the shrimp for a while before they want to take it..).
They don't need much space. They are small and adapt. We have had less aggression when we have many of them in small tanks compared to less in a larger tank. They do often become aggressive when they get sexually mature and that can be a problem. Sometime we need to separate fighting males to different tanks.

Not sure how sensitive they are to bad water quality. Our ones have been in coral systems, so the water is good enough to stony corals. They on the other hand is more "nutrients factorys" then most fish, so a good plan for reduce nutrients are necessary.

Yes, and check for talks from Laura Birenbaum on YouTube. She is great!
And here's and article from Richard Ross:
http://packedhead.net/2010/display-husbandry-and-breeding-of-dwarf-cuttle/

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's our Cassiopea tank :)

IMG_5250.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG

Looks more like a Xenia tank right now :D Our old jellyfish have started to fade away and the breed ones are not yet that big. But the bottom will be full of them in a couple of month.

/ David

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5221.JPG

Beautiful! When I was at my aquarium. These were one of my two primary care responsibilities! Loved them so much!!!!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great if the new display allowed visitors to see a top down view. I agree it's a stunning view.
Yes, that would be the best! Unfortunately we won't be able to build like that. But hopefully we can get some camera pointing at the surface(and maybe inside the tank) which could be on screens in the exhibition.

/ David

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Looked like they had massive jellyfish tanks :)

/ David
They do! The jellyfish section there is actually pretty impressive if I say so myself! I'm very excited to see your place when it is reconstructed however! Hopefully we get to see lots of pictures! Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a conference around your area one day and I'll have a good excuse to come visit!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days are less fun working with large coral tanks :(

I have done a couple of dips this week just to see what corals have AEFW. Looks like we are in a period with lots of them in our 10000L tank. The positive thing is that the corals overall health is pretty good so they can handle some flatworms and they don't give up that easy.

Our tests with fenbendazol hasn't worked that well agains the AEFW. Maybe the suspension works differently than the tablets, or maybe we haven't found the right dose.
But since we need to try around for the best method for us, timewise and for coral survival, I have tested Pro Coral Cure(Tropic Marine) again. This time 1/3 of recommended dose and just 5 minutes(we had some bad results with A. hyacinthus and millepora last year with higher dose).
So far it looks like species like A. spathulata, A. millepora, A. humilis and A, florida are okey with this treatment, but I can't say for sure yet.

IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to swing by and check out your aquarium sometime in mid May but I may be hindered by the distance. We'll be vacationing in Malmo and maybe Stockholm (plus other Scandinavian regions) if time permits.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to swing by and check out your aquarium sometime in mid May but I may be hindered by the distance. We'll be vacationing in Malmo and maybe Stockholm (plus other Scandinavian regions) if time permits.

Okey! Great :)

Send a pm some time before if you're able to visit Gothenburg too. Then I can make sure I'm here at the museum and have some time to show you around.

And let me know if you want to know about other public aquariums around Scandinavia.

/ David

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David,

We'll most likely visit Copenhagen as well. Will PM if we do decide to visit Gothenburg ... for sure!! Maybe I'll paint a R2R grafitti as well ... :D (no just kidding) My daughter's best friend is from Malmo and yes it's pretty exciting for them to see each other as it's been several years since they last met. And oh ... her dad's a trained chef and owns couple of restaurants s well ... mmmm can't wait to taste the local delicacies ;Joyful

Don't think there's aquarium in Iceland right?

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back