Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David,

We'll most likely visit Copenhagen as well. Will PM if we do decide to visit Gothenburg ... for sure!! Maybe I'll paint a R2R grafitti as well ... :D (no just kidding)

Don't think there's aquarium in Iceland right?

They have a small aquarium on Vestmannaeyjar/Westman Islands, south of Iceland. I was there a couple of years ago during a sailing. It's really small, and when I was there they had a lot of glass art inside the tanks. And half of the exhibition was stuffed fish.. You will find better ones in Copenhagen and Malmö :) But the Westman islands were nice!
I found this article:
http://icelandictimes.com/search_page/aquarium-museum-natural-history-saeheimar/

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played around in our small DNA lab today(with a lot of help from our two experts). We took AEFW from our tank and extracted DNA, and did a PCR and all that. Final step was to see if we got any DNA and if the band would be visible.
IMG_5269.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG

But no, didn't get it right this first time :D Will need to do it again with other temperatures in the PCR. Don't ask any questions, I'm just a amateur in the DNA lab..

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter everyone! :)

Here's some pictures from yesterday

IMG_5275.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG

On the last picture the reflector foil is down. That has worked well for this tank with lots of lamps and a lot of light spilling out otherwise. Not super nice constructed but I like to be able to remove them quickly:)
So if you have a cabin or a in wall tank I would recommend these.

/David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easter weekend and a unintentional water change 23:30 in the evening. A UV-C filter broke and the pump kept on pumping water out of the tank. Good thing we have alarms that go off when something like this happens. And good thing we had 1000 litres new saltwater, exactly what was needed to fill the tank up again :D
No animals dead, everything seems fine today. But not a good feeling waking into the exhibition and there is water on the floor and you here the sound of a small waterfall :D
This is a 2500L mixed reef tank connected to three 1000L tanks, so not the 10000L reef.

IMG_5286.JPG

PS our floor is not sensitive to water :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that you have alarms for that, hope nothing got ruined on the floor.
Not really a alarm just for that. The water got to a socket lying on the floor(no socket on the floor!) and some of the power went out. So the power to our GHL computer went off and when that happens I get an alarm. :)
So I had no idea what the alarm was about more than the aquarium computer didn't have power or connection. That's why it was a bit of a shock to see all water on the floor. :D

These things always make you think over your solutions and what you could have done better.
The good thing this time was that the power went out, so no pumps where going dry.
But this system is a bit too complex anyway, with five DT, two sumps etc.

Anyway, I'm glad the alarm worked. Thank you @Lasse for the profilux alarms!

/ David

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have leak detectors under each of my aquariums after I got a call from my front desk telling me that water had leaked into my neighbors apartment. Luckily it was just a top off bucket that had slow leak in it but that freaked me out so I got a fmm and 4 leak detectors the next day

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love this so much!

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some impressions from my visit today at the maritime museum - fantastic corals.

IMG_20180405_151710.jpg

IMG_20180405_152309.jpg

IMG_20180405_152337.jpg

IMG_20180405_152206.jpg
One thing is the colour of collectors acros ,that many hobbyist's strive to achieve but my preference are those pictures, of mature colonies in a deep and high tank, resembling ocean.

How often, do you have to dive , at such deep tank? I am dreaming a window in my house, looking at a deep and high tank, with natural sunlight, water from Mediterranean, Carlson surge makers for water flow, and ats and chaeto for filtration.....but then my wife wake me up, asking when I will take down my current tank :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is the colour of collectors acros ,that many hobbyist's strive to achieve but my preference are those pictures, of mature colonies in a deep and high tank, resembling ocean.

How often, do you have to dive , at such deep tank? I am dreaming a window in my house, looking at a deep and high tank, with natural sunlight, water from Mediterranean, Carlson surge makers for water flow, and ats and chaeto for filtration.....but then my wife wake me up, asking when I will take down my current tank :)

I also really like it when the corals are allowed to stay in the same spot for a couple of years and grow and develop as they want, get a natural grow pattern.
Its a little drawback with our old thick glass window, the colours isn't that great if you look though the window compared to from the top. But as you say, I does look a bit like the ocean :)

As a lazy aquarist I don't dive that often in this tank. I think it's been one time the last 2 years :D But in the beginning it was more often, to place out corals and rocks. Nowadays it's not much room left in this tank, so there's not much I can do if I get in the water. We clean the window from the top.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:D I've seen at least 2-3 really big coral tank on forums and youtube, at private houses. Bill Wann and another guy from Israel I remember now. Cool projects! But my advice is not to do it crazy large. Only to get proper lights cost a furtune, not to mention those large stream pumps o_O

Edit. Natural sun light! Yes, that would be a way to do it.
/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some impressions from my visit today at the maritime museum - fantastic corals.

IMG_20180405_151710.jpg

IMG_20180405_152309.jpg

IMG_20180405_152337.jpg

IMG_20180405_152206.jpg

Cool! I hope you enjoyed your visit! A lot of visitors this week due to the Easter break from school :)

Nice pictures!

/ David

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of an air driven sidewall pump to create a large circulation flow may be a low cost solution when building a new big tank. ( simulating a low natural drift) One can move a lot of water this way at low costs.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...for-aquaculture.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Great article! Thanks. I will have a look.

I've got some ideas about airlifts, not so much to get the water motion in the whole tank, but to get some of the water near the bottom up close to the surface outlets/overflow. A friend of mine has done this in a small tank with good result.

And airlifts are could also be a way to keep the water in motion during power breaks(on UPS).

/ David

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back