10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some old pictures and compared with new ones. Doesn't look like the same tank :)
First picture is from September 2014 and the second one is from April 2018.

11168397_10152726582762352_599997780396425892_o.jpg
IMG_5314.JPG

Looks like we bought a ton of corals, but most of them are from our frag tanks and were pretty small when they were moved into this tank. Nice to see what time does to a reef tank :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

/ David
Blows the mind. Reef aquariums come along way from 1983 when I started. No more HO florescent t12 8 foot long daylight bulbs. LOL.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some old pictures and compared with new ones. Doesn't look like the same tank :)
First picture is from September 2014 and the second one is from April 2018.

11168397_10152726582762352_599997780396425892_o.jpg
IMG_5314.JPG

Looks like we bought a ton of corals, but most of them are from our frag tanks and were pretty small when they were moved into this tank. Nice to see what time does to a reef tank :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

/ David
Finally under water gardens

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays update.

I think we've lost one of the Tunze Master stream pump :( It has stopped and I can get it to work. And with less than three month until we're closing for the rebuiling I don't think we'll get a new one. They are expensive :D But the pump has done a great job over six years. I've put in a Jebao 20 just do get some flow. Might put in another one later on.

Tomorrow it will arrive 5 small maricultured colonies of Scleronephtya sp for the experiment/frag tank. Couldn't get a hold of any Dendronephtya sp. now. Not sure if I will put them on the bottom or side of the tank yet. I'll have to see how the grow first.
The feeding regime right now seems to make the Acroporas really happy. Never seen polyp expansion like this before. The doses is just start doses and might be increased later.
Here's the daily dose:
1 L - Live Nannochloropsis/Isochryssis(not sure which we have now, our cultures are probably a mix :) )
10 ml - EasyBooster - Concentrated phytoplankton(4 species)
200 ml - Live Synechococcus sp (Cyanobakterio plankton)
15ml - Etanol 5%
We also have a Zeovit filter with Siporax which we pump a couple of times a day.
Fish get frozen mysis and artemia 2 x day.
The tank is about 500L and the returpump is set on 180 L/h. The refugium is the 10000L reef tank :)

My hope is to be able to get Scleronephtya and Dendronephtya to survive and grow. Won't get any other NPS-corals. My idea behind this is to aviod "too much" food in the water. Both for the water quality and the health of the corals. And I also want to know what we feed, so to start with I don't want to use products without knowing what they contains. If needed i'll increase the doses with phytoplankton and I'm prepared to dose a lot of those!

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting, everything will go as planned. On placement of Scleronephthya plan on possible mounting on side glass, worst case senario. I have ideas to mount. Let you think about other ways.
Lasse been around long time, he has ideas too. Very soon, baby Scleronephthya coming.

You'll know within 1-2 hours if healthy specimens. Have fun.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget document everything. You may need to do spot feeding. I would for first 1- 2 weeks. We'll see
I'll document as much as I can.

Also trying to get a meeting with a researcher at the University of Gothenburg who's doing a lot of work with phytoplankton and copepods. I have heard he has some kind of machine for counting particles in water :) We'll see if it's something worth testing.

/ David

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays reading:
KH - 7,3 dKH (Salifert)
NO3 - 5 ppm (Salifert)
PO4 - 0,02 (Hanna LR)

This is an increase of nitrate and phosphate since last reading 10 days ago. First thought was "that extra phyto really puts in nutriets!". But on the other hand we've turn off 3 x 1000Watt Metal halides over the tank now during the warm period. So the lights have been less than 50% for almost 2 weeks. And the growth has probably gone down.
During the same period we have dosed KNO3, but not much (6ml/day). We do dose carbon source, but also very low dose(15ml 5% etanol/day). Both the KNO3 and etanol goes into our experiment/frag tank, just to increase the bacteria in that tank(for filter feeders).

Changes:
All the lamps are on from yesterday(so we'll probably get some more coral growth now).
Stopped the KNO3 dosing.

Now its just wait and see if the nutrients will go up, stay or go down. My guess is that the nitrate will go down soon, but we'll see. If needed we can start autodosing etanol and put in some new phosphate remover.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, their alive!!!! Patience now. Now I'm not the only one trying. You might have to spend the night, checking on them.LOL, They'll open at night. Keep us posted.

Good variety.

I won't spend the night. Just came from a 4 hour meeting with the architect(planning the new Aquarium), kind of tired now. But I will try to get to work early tomorrow, before the light come on!

Not quite open yet, been in the tank for 5 hours. But I think they look healthy. And yes, very nice variety. Great colours.

Yes, I'm surprised that there's so few keeping NPS corals and write about it here at R2R. Or have I missed those threads? :)

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't spend the night. Just came from a 4 hour meeting with the architect(planning the new Aquarium), kind of tired now. But I will try to get to work early tomorrow, before the light come on!

Not quite open yet, been in the tank for 5 hours. But I think they look healthy. And yes, very nice variety. Great colours.

Yes, I'm surprised that there's so few keeping NPS corals and write about it here at R2R. Or have I missed those threads? :)

/ David
Off and on some show their specimens off. Then don't hear from them. Not many vendors now stock or encourage them. My opinion. Now with some bans doesn't help. Must keep trying. Like Don Quixote

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
哈好喜欢

(Phonetically: Hā hǎo xǐhuān) - English: How do you like it? ~Mod Team

If you mean the nutrient levels it depends on the tank. This large tank for example doesn't seems to suffer from lack of nutrients even if the tests(Hanna LR and Salifert) show low or no NO3 or PO4. But I like to keep the NO3 around 1-2, because it often appears a little red cyano in the frag tanks if it's lower than that.
And the PO4 I like to keep 0,01-0,06. We've had a bit higher than 0,1 and all were fine, but I like to keep it lower/under control so it doesn't go up too much without me knowing :)

/ David

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the nutrient levels it depends on the tank. This large tank for example doesn't seems to suffer from lack of nutrients even if the tests(Hanna LR and Salifert) show low or no NO3 or PO4. But I like to keep the NO3 around 1-2, because it often appears a little red cyano in the frag tanks if it's lower than that.
And the PO4 I like to keep 0,01-0,06. We've had a bit higher than 0,1 and all were fine, but I like to keep it lower/under control so it doesn't go up too much without me knowing :)

/ David

If this was my Little Reef Rockpool I think I would aiming for at least 5 nitrates, most people know I don't really test but I do read a lot and sort of understand how stuff works.
The coral will be using the nitrates to an extent as well, not a fan of ln systems but I don't have to run your tanks! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was my Little Reef Rockpool I think I would aiming for at least 5 nitrates, most people know I don't really test but I do read a lot and sort of understand how stuff works.
The coral will be using the nitrates to an extent as well, not a fan of ln systems but I don't have to run your tanks! ;)

I have to admit that aiming for 1 instead of 5 ppm for nitrate is probably just some old habit from my side, that lower is better :)
I agree, and I usually tell people to aim for 5-10 ppm.. So you got me, not following my own advice :D

/ David

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back