OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the PDF on the Triton Lab ICP test with all green on all the parameters! My first time :) I think I will put it on the wall in my office...

Attachments

• 29 NKR 3 juli 18.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 117

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at work after three weeks vacation. No disasters what I can see(I got great colleagues :)).
The 10000L reef tank looks okey, a large Seriatopora colony has fallen and one of the large Tunze masterstream hasn't been able to fix. So not the best circulation and a 1 meter coral colony that's upside down. That gives me something to do this week :)

A FTS (not cleaned the window). The colony of Seriatopora is down to the right.
IMG_5865.JPG

Looked through the last ICP test from Triton lab and in this tank we got all greens!! First time ever for me :D So that made my day. Will attach the PDF for proof.

The Scleronephthya are looking okey in the frag tank. Pretty much the same as three weeks ago. Hard to say if they have grown or shrieked. I could see the polyps on four of five this morning, so they are filtering.

IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG

Found calculation to move 3" of water a second, in 200 gallon tank. Approx. 32,000 gallons per hour. A lot of water.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pictures from our other reef tanks! :)

The "room devider " - DT about 1500 litres, sump and refugium 2000 litres. Been running over ten years, but started to stabilise when we connected the large sump and stopped doing water changes in 2014. We run the Triton method but in our own way. Right now we run both Calcium reactor and Core7.
IMG_5873.JPG
IMG_5870.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG

And this is what our "Shark tank" looks like today. The tank is 26000 litres and the sharks are bamboo sharks. We started putting in corals last year because our propagation tanks were full. Now most of the rock surface with enough light is covered with corals. Not the best tank for corals but they do okey.
IMG_5875.JPG

Feel free to ask if there's something you're curious about.

Today it's only 2 months until we're closing the Aquarium and start preparing for the rebuilding. So if you think the aquascaping or finish of the tanks are not 100%, it's because we will close down the tanks soon(and has a lot of work planning for the new Aquarium). But the water quality is really good IMO, so the animals do well :)

/ David

IMG_5875.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just amazed. Using the ca. Reactor. How high is your alkalinity? If low then being consumed?
Thanks! :)
In the 10000L and 1500L tanks, we now use both calcium reactors and balling(Core7) to keep the KH above 6,5. It's been hard with only the calcium reactors sometimes. I'm aiming for 7-7,5 dkh but we're usually at 6,5 in the stony coral tanks. Havn't seen any bad effects of KH around 5,5-6 so I'm not that worried. Some might say corals will gro faster with higher KH, but I think ours grow fast enough :D

In the 26000L tank we use a calcium reactor only, only corals in 1/3 of the tank so far(we can't efford any more large LEDs right now).

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :)
In the 10000L and 1500L tanks, we now use both calcium reactors and balling(Core7) to keep the KH above 6,5. It's been hard with only the calcium reactors sometimes. I'm aiming for 7-7,5 dkh but we're usually at 6,5 in the stony coral tanks. Havn't seen any bad effects of KH around 5,5-6 so I'm not that worried. Some might say corals will gro faster with higher KH, but I think ours grow fast enough :D

In the 26000L tank we use a calcium reactor only, only corals in 1/3 of the tank so far(we can't efford any more large LEDs right now).

/ David

If I was to use ca. Reactor in my little tank I'd get opposite effect on KH. because consumption less.
You guys should do a gala with silent auction on some live corals. Would be interesting.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to use ca. Reactor in my little tank I'd get opposite effect on KH. because consumption less.
You guys should do a gala with silent auction on some live corals. Would be interesting.

We are more a coral factory now than a public aquaria, at least that what it feels like somedays(but I'm the coral nerd among the staff so I shouldn't complain ;) But there's a reason, we want to grow enough corals to fill the new tanks. And they will be a lot bigger than our present tanks, so we try to save as much corals as possible. We've decided not to sell any corals, but we do give away to other public aquariums sometimes.

About the KH, we have great help from Triton lab so if we need we can just add more of their Core7. It's just easier right now to use both reactors and Core7. Then we can also recycle home grown coral skeleton :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's exercise were to move corals from a propagation tank to our bambo shark tank. I want to restart the frag tank after I've cleaned it from possible AEFW. We're going to try restart it with a 20 um filter on the return pipe and use it as a step one tank for cut and dipped Acropora.
So we needed to remove a lot of mostly Montipora. Problem was many of the colonies had grown onto the egg crate. So we decided to move the whole egg crate into the large tank :D
Here are pictures from the lift. First time I actually got tired by carrying corals. That Montipora was big!
Here how the frag tank looked
IMG_5877.JPG

And here are me and my colleague before the whole thing goes into the shark tank
IMG_5882.JPG

And the result. Of course the largest Montipora colony fell off just when the egg crate were in place :D But we put it up against the back wall instead. We will attach more corals to the egg crate soon. This tank is called "Cultivation for the future ", so I'm okey with some visible pumps and cable ties etc :)
IMG_5889.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's exercise were to move corals from a propagation tank to our bambo shark tank. I want to restart the frag tank after I've cleaned it from possible AEFW. We're going to try restart it with a 20 um filter on the return pipe and use it as a step one tank for cut and dipped Acropora.
So we needed to remove a lot of mostly Montipora. Problem was many of the colonies had grown onto the egg crate. So we decided to move the whole egg crate into the large tank :D
Here are pictures from the lift. First time I actually got tired by carrying corals. That Montipora was big!
Here how the frag tank looked
IMG_5877.JPG

And here are me and my colleague before the whole thing goes into the shark tank
IMG_5882.JPG

And the result. Of course the largest Montipora colony fell off just when the egg crate were in place :D But we put it up against the back wall instead. We will attach more corals to the egg crate soon. This tank is called "Cultivation for the future ", so I'm okey with some visible pumps and cable ties etc :)
IMG_5889.JPG

As we say here, "that's crazy", amazing. Keep up the good work, Dr. Sallstrom.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was relayed to me today. A friend was in the Philippines this last December, went snorkeling by the reefs. His fins were really close to the corals. Some fish started to nip at his shins, ankles, and calves. The fish drew blood. What a story.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep any lophelia pertusa? It's so pretty!

We want to! Our cold water system is ready for them, but they are a bit hard to get. We probably need to get them from a University in Norway, and fix a lot of paperwork. But we will get them, our goal is a live cold water/deep water coral reef! :)

This was relayed to me today. A friend was in the Philippines this last December, went snorkeling by the reefs. His fins were really close to the corals. Some fish started to nip at his shins, ankles, and calves. The fish drew blood. What a story.
We have a Spinecheek Anemonefish that attack my hand every time I clean the back window in one of our tanks. They have a pretty hard bite :) Never bites the scraper, just my hand. Clever little one.. :D

/ David

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom, can you start a thread on your idea. One thing I haven't found. I use sulfur denitrator, it has drawbacks. The system you showed. Does it effect calcium, alkilinity, magnesium? Let me know

You mean the DRDSB? ;) (maybe need a better name..). Sure. Just need some time, might do it tomorrow.

I can't say for sure how this setup with a reverse deep sand bed will affect anything, more than I got really low nitrate, high silicate and lots of bacteria. But I didn't find the right pumps for the volume I built. So I had problems getting the right flow through.
But in theory you might get calcium and other stuff if you use coral gravel. You might not need gravel, maybe work just as well with filter material(what's that blue filter stuff called in English?!).

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thinking about it, I would add circulation pump suction of pump at exit of effluent water, here to let bacteria do its job, first, before disrupting denitrification . Flow of recirculating pump not to important,but fast enough, because it won't be introducing oxygen back at plenum. I would build a trap , where detritus can settle and remove/clean it, if need be, (I know your not planning to, but in case) where detritus settles this would be where water enters before plenum. I'm afraid if detritus in plenum, it will build up and continually change water flow through coral gravel medium. Or build taller plenum, to compensate for detritus build up. And design whole box to remove to clean it in near future. If need be. Next I'll go into controlling flow into and out of box.

Just remember, if I'm correct, for 100 gallon aquarium 2 gallons per hour good flow of effluent going back into aquarium, faster even better.

Screenshot_2018-07-19-23-08-52-1.png

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back