OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thinking about it, I would add circulation pump suction of pump at exit of effluent water, here to let bacteria do its job, first, before disrupting denitrification . Flow of recirculating pump not to important,but fast enough, because it won't be introducing oxygen back at plenum. I would build a trap , where detritus can settle and remove/clean it, if need be, (I know your not planning to, but in case) where detritus settles this would be where water enters before plenum. I'm afraid if detritus in plenum, it will build up and continually change water flow through coral gravel medium. Or build taller plenum, to compensate for detritus build up. And design whole box to remove to clean it in near future. If need be. Next I'll go into controlling flow into and out of box.

Just remember, if I'm correct, for 100 gallon aquarium 2 gallons per hour good flow of effluent going back into aquarium, faster even better.

Screenshot_2018-07-19-23-08-52-1.png

I like all the ideas! I just started a new thread under DIY for this type of controllable sand beds. Lets continue there: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/controllable-deep-sand-beds-a-discussion-thread.424449/

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's trap and H2O from DT

1532074129582.jpg
Ah, okey! Now I get what you mean. Good idea! Just to have a chamber for the detritus to settle instead of socks/filters to clean. Easier to just vacuum that chamber once in a while.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, add this to your new expansion.

Screenshot_2018-07-21-13-09-30.png

Before our time
I really like the design on those old aquariums!! They had better tast back then ;)
We have a similar aquarium in our museum collection. It's not on display now but we had it in our temporary Cephalopod exhibition, a small section of history of aquariums I think. But never tried to fill it with water. I wouldn't dare I think :)
Can't find a picture of ours, but will look around some more and see if I can find one.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step in the fight against AEFW! Today I installed a 20 micron filter on the return line from the sump to a frag tank(800 litres), same system as the 10000 litre reef tank. The frag tank has been cleaned a bit and then filled up with fresh water for two days(to make sure no flatworms would survive. Not sure about their eggs, anyone knows if they survive a day in fresh water?).
Today it was filled with new salt water and then the returnpump was turn on. Really boring work, but now finally it's time to start cutting Acropora frags and start dipping. The idea is to cut pieces(only live tissue), dip and then glue the to plugs. The dipped coral will then be moved to this "new" and "clean" frag tank, with filtered water from the same system. We will filter the water into the tank just to be sure no Acropora eating flatworm will get into the tank from the sump. I don't know how big that possiblity is, but won't take a chance :)
This is a test of the filters and if one dip is enough. We'll dip them again in a month or so to see if I can find any AEFW.
We're closing in September and will buy some more acrylic tanks, so it will be easier to move the dipped corals to clean tanks in batches.

Happy with the flow through the filters. Now we'll wait and see how long it will take before it'll get clogged :D

More updates on our AEFW battle will come.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step in the fight against AEFW! Today I installed a 20 micron filter on the return line from the sump to a frag tank(800 litres), same system as the 10000 litre reef tank. The frag tank has been cleaned a bit and then filled up with fresh water for two days(to make sure no flatworms would survive. Not sure about their eggs, anyone knows if they survive a day in fresh water?).
Today it was filled with new salt water and then the returnpump was turn on. Really boring work, but now finally it's time to start cutting Acropora frags and start dipping. The idea is to cut pieces(only live tissue), dip and then glue the to plugs. The dipped coral will then be moved to this "new" and "clean" frag tank, with filtered water from the same system. We will filter the water into the tank just to be sure no Acropora eating flatworm will get into the tank from the sump. I don't know how big that possiblity is, but won't take a chance :)
This is a test of the filters and if one dip is enough. We'll dip them again in a month or so to see if I can find any AEFW.
We're closing in September and will buy some more acrylic tanks, so it will be easier to move the dipped corals to clean tanks in batches.

Happy with the flow through the filters. Now we'll wait and see how long it will take before it'll get clogged :D

More updates on our AEFW battle will come.

Just realized today we changed more than 1000 litres in this system. I also backwashed the sandfilter (thats about 200 litres WC). Thats a lot of water! And when I write about not doing water changes in four years, that is another tank :)

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you only have coral if you could just run something like Bayer in your system constantly when trying to nuke the flat worms

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized today we changed more than 1000 litres in this system. I also backwashed the sandfilter (thats about 200 litres WC). Thats a lot of water! And when I write about not doing water changes in four years, that is another tank :)
Wow! That is a lot of salt!!! Good thing you have those rusty knives! :p

Let's see... for me that would be around a 300% water change! :eek:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you only have coral if you could just run something like Bayer in your system constantly when trying to nuke the flat worms

I'm not a big fan of treat corals and other organism that's not infected with parasites, so treating the whole tank is not in the plan. But in a small tank with just the corals you want to treat thats is an idea I've though of(and tried some). Right now thats plan B :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is a lot of salt!!! Good thing you have those rusty knives! :p

Let's see... for me that would be around a 300% water change! :eek:
Yes, used one of those knifes today. Now it's not only rusty, it aslo has a protetive layer of salt!

Tomorrow I think the new shipment of salt will come. I hope my colleague is not at home sick like he was today, otherwise I will have to carry all 1000 kg of salt in by myself ;Nailbiting (too small doors, have to carry the 48 sacks the last bit..).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope my colleague is not at home sick like he was today, otherwise I will have to carry all 1000 kg of salt in by myself ;Nailbiting
Is that a cough I hear you coming down with? ;Doctor

;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Yes, used one of those knifes today. Now it's not only rusty, it aslo has a protetive layer of salt!

Tomorrow I think the new shipment of salt will come. I hope my colleague is not at home sick like he was today, otherwise I will have to carry all 1000 kg of salt in by myself ;Nailbiting (too small doors, have to carry the 48 sacks the last bit..).
Now that's real work. Welcome to the real world. Heehee

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a cough I hear you coming down with? ;Doctor

;)
No

Now that's real work. Welcome to the real world. Heehee

I got some colleagues from the office/museum the help me out. Even the head of the exhibitions. They needed to try some real work too ;) The delivery guy wasn't happy with a package on one ton... :D

Here's the 20 micron filter that's hopefully will keep the AEFW out of the frag tank.
IMG_5910.JPG

Dipped and glued about 15 Acropora frags today, more to come. Today was a day mostly spent at the computer dealing with invoices and trying to figure out if it's worth trying out new LEDs bought from outside EU. Trying to learn about taxes and customs.. Fun! :D

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some colleagues from the office/museum the help me out. Even the head of the exhibitions. They needed to try some real work too ;) The delivery guy wasn't happy with a package on one ton... :D

Here's the 20 micron filter that's hopefully will keep the AEFW out of the frag tank.
IMG_5910.JPG

Dipped and glued about 15 Acropora frags today, more to come. Today was a day mostly spent at the computer dealing with invoices and trying to figure out if it's worth trying out new LEDs bought from outside EU. Trying to learn about taxes and customs.. Fun! :D

About this computer work you mentioned, out here were like Australia , this is rugged country.
We go into attics, deal with fiberglass insulation, go on roof and fight wasp, have to deal with hot sun.
This is real work. You guys have it easy. If I had your type of work I'd have time to go to the gym, get the latest health products,
I would look like a Swedish Fabio. Heehee

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About this computer work you mentioned, out here were like Australia , this is rugged country.
We go into attics, deal with fiberglass insulation, go on roof and fight wasp, have to deal with hot sun.
This is real work. You guys have it easy. If I had your type of work I'd have time to go to the gym, get the latest health products,
I would look like a Swedish Fabio. Heehee

Like I said, Swedish Fabio, I'd spread my wild oats all over Sweden. Heehee

Screenshot_2018-07-24-18-33-40-1.png

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a couple of threads about water changes(WC) the last week. Here's some thoughts about that in this tank.

We backwash our sand pressure filter twice a week. Backwashing mean we run water from the tank, switch the direction of the water through the sand and therefor a lot of detritus releases. This water goes out the drain. That's about 300 litres of tank water thats goes out and needs to be replaced every week. So in this system we change about 1000 litres a month. Thats 7-10 % WC a month.
So the sand filter is a particle filter and needs to be cleaned, otherwise it would be clogged.

As for water changes in this system, IMO the water changes don't do much either way for this tank. We have to do them because we choosen to use the sand filter. Yes, the sand filter could be bachwashed with fresh water. But then we need to rebuild the setup. We can collect the water from a backwash and filter that water and reuse it(we sometimes did that, and reuse the water to our old cold water system). But right now we don't reuse the water, we don't need to. It's easier to make new salt water. The plan for the new Aquarium is sand pressure filters backwashed with tap water and rinsed with RO water.

So 10% WC a month. Would it be a big difference if we didn't change any at all? I don't think so. We don't have nutrients we need to get rid off(we need to add nitrate from time to time). We haven't seen any increased levels of unwanted metals in our Triton ICP tests so far. We have a lot of corals and algea that consume nutrients etc. We use a calcium reactor and add Core7(Triton's Balling) to keep most of the parameters up, the rest is adjusted substance for substace. I don't think water changes do that much difference for the water parameters, but thats just my feeling :) What du you think?

Another question is why do we have a sand pressure filter at all in a reef tank? The answer is that there were a filter already installed on this tank and we wanted to try it out on a reef aquarium. It has also given us the possiblity to use lanthanum chloride to lower the phosphate(we dosed it at the inlet to the filter, not into the tank). That we did mostly in the beginning when we had new dry rocks added and then later when we had a lot of cuttlefish breeding and feeding in the same system. Now it works fine with regular phosphate remover if we need to lower the phosphate.

Some thoughts :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working alone today so here comes another post :D
A couple of random pictures from the frag tank were we keep small frags from every species we house in our tanks(I've only done Acropora, Montipora so far, started with Stylopora and Seriatopora). This is also the tank where we keep the Scleronephthya soft NPS corals, so this frag tank gets food 24/7(mostly phytoplankton in different forms). The tank is connected to the same system as the 10000L reef tank.

IMG_5924.JPG
IMG_5926.JPG
IMG_5927.JPG
IMG_5925.JPG
IMG_5912.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back