10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't as easy as I thought to find an Acropora eating flatworm. Seems like they are having a down period in our 10000 litre tank. That's good :)
Here's the only one I found today. Maybe there were more but i didn't want to kill them so I only rinsed the corals in tank water but a bit lower in salinity.
IMG_5993.JPG

Now my plan is to get the summer substitute(who knows his way around the DNA lab) to extract some DNA so we can compare and see if we have the same species as the one described. If we find a good routine for that then we might help others find out what kind of AEFW they have.
We can't do the whole process in our small lab, so it might take a while for the results.

The boring side of this is to figure out a way to make sure no AEFW follow the corals to the temporary aquariums and then into the new Aquarium. Been trying different doses of Coral Cure dip, and different time to dip, but I'm not happy with the survival of the corals. Some species up to 50% :(
And it might be hard on the coral to be cut, dipped and glued the same day.
Long way to go..

Can't believe future marine biologists, are working with DNA. How things have advanced. Amazing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe future marine biologists, are working with DNA. How things have advanced. Amazing.
Current marine biologists! Their summer help is nothing like what we do in the US. These are full fledged professionals, not college students.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got two Dendronephthya today. Found them on the list when we ordered live food for the cuttlefish, couldn't resist :)
I put them in the frag tank where the Scleronephthyas are. I think I will try to hang them up tomorrow.
The feeding experiment goes on.
IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was also one of the warmest days this summer. It's was about 32 degrees Celsius a couple of hours. Now the clock is over eight but it's still around 26. And, probably due to the heat, our old air cooling system broke down:eek: So there where some panic this morning then the temperature started to raise behind the scenes. We only have this cooling system in the old part of the Aquarium. It was from the beginning meant to blow cold air onto the large windows of the cold water tanks. A way to counteract condensation. It didn't work all that good during the summers, but hey it was from 1986 :) Two years ago when our heat exchanger for the large cold water aquariums broke and we switched cod for bamboo sharks and corals in the 26000 litre tank, we didn't need all that cold air out in the exhibition anymore. So we did some changes and got the cold air in behind the scenes instead. This way we are able to maintain the two large coral tanks and also a smaller cold water system. But as soon as this air cooler turns of, the facilities behind the scenes becomes a sauna ;Wacky
Luckily we got help to fix it and it started again before lunch time. And I think our warmest tank just got to 28,5 degrees, so no harm done to the animals.
And now we are well prepared for days like these, lot of frozen bottles ready :)
Rest of the week will be 20-25 degrees, and hopefully some rain too. That'll be nice!

Edit. I have no clue on the right terms for some stuff in English. Hope you understand anyway. My head is boiled after this day at work.. :D

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was also one of the warmest days this summer. It's was about 32 degrees Celsius a couple of hours. Now the clock is over eight but it's still around 26. And, probably due to the heat, our old air cooling system broke down:eek: So there where some panic this morning then the temperature started to raise behind the scenes. We only have this cooling system in the old part of the Aquarium. It was from the beginning meant to blow cold air onto the large windows of the cold water tanks. A way to counteract condensation. It didn't work all that good during the summers, but hey it was from 1986 :) Two years ago when our heat exchanger for the large cold water aquariums broke and we switched cod for bamboo sharks and corals in the 26000 litre tank, we didn't need all that cold air out in the exhibition anymore. So we did some changes and got the cold air in behind the scenes instead. This way we are able to maintain the two large coral tanks and also a smaller cold water system. But as soon as this air cooler turns of, the facilities behind the scenes becomes a sauna ;Wacky
Luckily we got help to fix it and it started again before lunch time. And I think our warmest tank just got to 28,5 degrees, so no harm done to the animals.
And now we are well prepared for days like these, lot of frozen bottles ready :)
Rest of the week will be 20-25 degrees, and hopefully some rain too. That'll be nice!

Edit. I have no clue on the right terms for some stuff in English. Hope you understand anyway. My head is boiled after this day at work.. :D

Your English is great, nice work on keeping the temperature down! :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got two Dendronephthya today. Found them on the list when we ordered live food for the cuttlefish, couldn't resist :)
I put them in the frag tank where the Scleronephthyas are. I think I will try to hang them up tomorrow.
IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG
Man, I gotta find some

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6008.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG
This type of dendro,your dendros, the easies to care for, may grow too. Wish i had this type
Pictures examples
Screenshot_20180605-132512.png

Screenshot_20180605-132431.png

Screenshot_20180605-132507.png

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of dendro,your dendros, the easies to care for, may grow too. Wish i had this type
Pictures examples
Screenshot_20180605-132512.png

Screenshot_20180605-132431.png

Screenshot_20180605-132507.png
Yes. They look quite massive, more compact then some pictures you see from the reef.
Do you know the species?
Just checked Wikipedia, there are around 250 described species of Dendronephthya, maybe hard to tell which is which :rolleyes:
Sounds good, if these are the easier ones. Thanks!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They look quite massive, more compact then some pictures you see from the reef.
Do you know the species?
Just checked Wikipedia, there are around 250 described species of Dendronephthya, maybe hard to tell which is which :rolleyes:
Sounds good, if these are the easier ones. Thanks!

When there hung upside down, should stretch two three times their size. Species, your guess good as mine.
Their really nice and healthy.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I don't get that excited about new corals, most of them are much the same ;)
But this colony seems to be really something!
IMG_6015.JPG
Yea, their really nice. Wait till you see more species come on market. When Indonesian ban lifted. Keep us posted

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit today result in a short video showing the soft corals that David try to grow in the aquaria. It shows four different episodes during the day.

First some photos

P8090156.jpg

P8090157.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit today result in a short video showing the soft corals that David try to grow in the aquaria. It shows four different episodes during the day.

First some photos

P8090156.jpg

P8090157.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Nice video Lasse, beautiful corals. Hope they multiple. I can't get any. A small baby would be nice. Wait and see.

My gut feeling is, the key to success will be their diet

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday and some window cleaning! And finally some normal Swedish summer temperatures, 18-25 degrees and rain :)
It takes a couple of days for this old house to cool down, but at least we don't need all those frozen bottles today.
IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG

Trying to get some motivation to top up/fix up the tanks for our last month before we close the Aquarium. Got some areas a bit down in this tank that's possible to put some more corals. Just have to figure out how the get them there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back