10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weeks FTS. Now I really regret not removing the large Montipora piece in the middle so there could have been light down to the bottom(and more room for corals). Well, a bad back and only one month until we close and rebuild, won't do any large changes like that now :)
IMG_6058.JPG

Bummer

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weeks FTS. Now I really regret not removing the large Montipora piece in the middle so there could have been light down to the bottom(and more room for corals). Well, a bad back and only one month until we close and rebuild, won't do any large changes like that now :)
IMG_6058.JPG
Looks like a good lesson on how a reef is built. Corals grow up toward the surface shading and killing the high light corals below. This area can then be taken advantage of by lower light loving corals. Meanwhile, the reef gets shallower.

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like a good lesson on how a reef is built. Corals grow up toward the surface shading and killing the high light corals below. This area can then be taken advantage of by lower light loving corals. Meanwhile, the reef gets shallower.

And thus enters into my head a little piece by Rush...

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas...

Funny how we see similar issues under water as we do above.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coffee and corals ;Happy

IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6084.JPG
I don't get to see anything that nice when I get to work and have my coffee. :(

This just doesn't have the color and serenity that your tanks do.
NES_1.jpg

On yet another tangent.... I turned on the Golf Channel and saw the Nordea Masters tournament is being played in Gothenburg! Are you going to take advantage and watch some golf?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get to see anything that nice when I get to work and have my coffee. :(

This just doesn't have the color and serenity that your tanks do.
NES_1.jpg

On yet another tangent.... I turned on the Golf Channel and saw the Nordea Masters tournament is being played in Gothenburg! Are you going to take advantage and watch some golf?
Thanks!

The golf has been on in the background at work this week. My coworker is really into golf :)
I just started playing last year, I'm still really bad but enjoy it! Golf on TV (or live) is still a bit to slow for me, but I'm working on it(or my coworker is, talking about golf all day :D). Do you play?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The golf has been on in the background at work this week. My coworker is really into golf :)
I just started playing last year, I'm still really bad but enjoy it! Golf on TV (or live) is still a bit to slow for me, but I'm working on it(or my coworker is, talking about golf all day :D). Do you play?
I do, but I'm not any good at it either. I love the fact it gives me an excuse to enjoy a few hours outdoors with friends with just enough activity to not be boring.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golf on TV (or live) is still a bit to slow for me
And I agree with this. The only reason it is on is for some relaxing background noise while I pull my tank apart to catch some fish. :confused::confused:

It is very unusual for me to sit down and watch golf for any length of time.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but I'm not any good at it either. I love the fact it gives me an excuse to enjoy a few hours outdoors with friends with just enough activity to not be boring.
Yes, the same for me.
We have gone directly from work to the golf coarse a couple of times. Amazing to feel the stress go away only after a couple of minutes on the coarse. And now when I'm a newbie playing golf, I don't need to compete(which in other cases might be a bit of a problem.. :rolleyes:). So it's all just fun, at least for now. Now I need to fix my back so I can play soon! :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I agree with this. The only reason it is on is for some relaxing background noise while I pull my tank apart to catch some fish. :confused::confused:

It is very unusual for me to sit down and watch golf for any length of time.

Yes, I read about your dilemma. I know the feeling, having a butterflyfish harasing a 15+ year old Galaxea and we can't catch it :(
Hope you don't have to turn the whole tank up side down to get them!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HK System.jpg

Trying to get on with the writing on this tank(the one Lasse call's 3000L tank (more like 4000L, or did Lasse substract volume for the LR and corals? ;Bookworm)). I'm on five pages in Word, and that is the short story on this tank. Haven't even mentioned the fish or coral species yet ;Dead And I am afraid of the text to be quite boring :D
The picture above is my attempt to explain the turnover flow through the sumps and tank.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HK System.jpg

Trying to get on with the writing on this tank(the one Lasse call's 3000L tank (more like 4000L, or did Lasse substract volume for the LR and corals? ;Bookworm)). I'm on five pages in Word, and that is the short story on this tank. Haven't even mentioned the fish or coral species yet ;Dead And I am afraid of the text to be quite boring :D
The picture above is my attempt to explain the turnover flow through the sumps and tank.

Nice! I love diagrams and organization. Just a little OCD perhaps.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love diagrams and organization. Just a little OCD perhaps.
Then you would love the system charts/project planning documents were working on now for the new Aquarium! They're like spider webs:D
But I don't have those programs, so I stick to drawing in PowerPoint.. :rolleyes:
The first edition of this project planning document for the Aquarium and the new building will be ready in two week, so it'll be a lot of meetings until then. Negotiations on flow, pipes, pumps, costs, skimmer size etc. But it's still a lot of details that will be decided later.

I finally got some time this weekend (in between reading all angry posts on R2R(is everybody in a bad mood this week?!)) to dream away about the new aquariums, specially the large reef tank. Thinking of all types of fish that would be so interesting to see in a really big reef tank, fish often not suited for smaller tanks. I hope we can get that much coral so adding some corallivores wouldn't matter for example. Also trying to figure out if we could design a small deep sand bottom zone inside the large tank for garden eels. I saw that at Steinhart Aquarium, really cool idea. And I got to see Garden eels in the Red Sea this year, on the sand just outside a reef wall.
But first we need to make sure we can keep live corals in the tank, and not make any mistakes choosing materials for the pumps or the rock work :eek: (my biggest concern so far in this project).

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you would love the system charts/project planning documents were working on now for the new Aquarium! They're like spider webs:D
But I don't have those programs, so I stick to drawing in PowerPoint.. :rolleyes:
The first edition of this project planning document for the Aquarium and the new building will be ready in two week, so it'll be a lot of meetings until then. Negotiations on flow, pipes, pumps, costs, skimmer size etc. But it's still a lot of details that will be decided later.

I finally got some time this weekend (in between reading all angry posts on R2R(is everybody in a bad mood this week?!)) to dream away about the new aquariums, specially the large reef tank. Thinking of all types of fish that would be so interesting to see in a really big reef tank, fish often not suited for smaller tanks. I hope we can get that much coral so adding some corallivores wouldn't matter for example. Also trying to figure out if we could design a small deep sand bottom zone inside the large tank for garden eels. I saw that at Steinhart Aquarium, really cool idea. And I got to see Garden eels in the Red Sea this year, on the sand just outside a reef wall.
But first we need to make sure we can keep live corals in the tank, and not make any mistakes choosing materials for the pumps or the rock work :eek: (my biggest concern so far in this project).

Funny, I did not consider the rock in the new aquarium. I assume you bring some rock from the current aquarium. You will probably be adding by the ton. I would not even know where to begin, LOL.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an update on the "Shark tank". Last month the corals seems to do well, I think all of them are growing now. We even need to add phosphate:)
Countdown, 24 days until closing for rebuilding today.
IMG_6091.JPG
IMG_6094.JPG
That is such an amazing display!

Are you going to be able to continue with updates after the museum closes?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, tell me if this wrong, this completely stopped me in my tracks!
I can't bare the thought from England of this being shut down!
I don't have a clue how to "photoshop" this is just contrast and brightness adjusted in a standard windows program, I tried not to make it too dark, how are the colours!? ;)

IMG_6091.JPG aquarium by sshipuk, on Flickr

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such an amazing display!

Are you going to be able to continue with updates after the museum closes?
Thanks! :)

Yes, I'll be there almost every day :) We got until next summer to move out everything from the old tanks. Maybe start a new thread for that, with a more accurate title.
The biggest change for me after we've closed is that I don't need to clean the windows so often :D
Otherwise it's much the same, since we will keep most of the animals.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't bare the thought from England of this being shut down!
It's being shut down to upgrade to a new, larger facility! It's a good thing, other than not scheduled to reopen until 2021.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back