View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday full tank shot :)
Snapseed.jpeg

And one from the top

IMG_6184.JPG

Next weeks is our last last week before closing for the rebuild. Some parts of the museum really looks old and ready to fall apart... But the animals are healthy and the tanks look okey(from the exhibit at least;)) that's our priority now. :)

Have a great weekend!
Thanks for the pictures! I know the upgrade is exciting, but it has to be a little sad to have to close to the public. These tanks deserve to be seen!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an alert from R2R saying I was an addict ;Wideyed
Just got up to 1000 messages! So I let my 1001 be one about nothing :D

Lazy Sunday at work. Started up with spilling artemia and mysis all over the exhibit floor..
Now some more coffee before cleaning aquarium windows.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friday full tank shot :)
Snapseed.jpeg

And one from the top

IMG_6184.JPG

Next weeks is our last last week before closing for the rebuild. Some parts of the museum really looks old and ready to fall apart... But the animals are healthy and the tanks look okey(from the exhibit at least;)) that's our priority now. :)

Have a great weekend!

Amazeballs!!!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a homemade timelapse of the 10000L tank :)
The head of the museum wanted some pictures for a talk so I put this together today, quite fast, so it's far from perfect. But it shows the growth from 2014 to earlier this year.

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a headline in the local newspaper this morning "The new aquarium will be one of the best in the world". In what way? Or is it just local patriots? :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a headline in the local newspaper this morning "The new aquarium will be one of the best in the world". In what way? Or is it just local patriots? :)
Oh, that sounds nice! :D

We can't be the biggest, not even in Gothenburg, but we can be the best ;) That's kind of our guiding star among the staff at least. Of course we can not compete with the larger aquariums in volume, budget or number of sharks, but we can compete with smaller tanks and live habitats/live ecosystems. We are also in a position were we can benefit from being a part of a museum, instead of "just" an aquarium, when it comes to information, education and exhibition facilities.

Another thing we are hoping to achieve is good water quality. Not only in the reef tanks, but also in say a tank showing a north sea habitat or a live kelp tank. As for my part, I hope the coral reef exhibit will be one of the best in the world at that size. That's my goal. Don't know if it's possible or how long it'll take to get there. :)

That's our goals anyway. It's a long way to go, and probably a lot of compromises along the way. This is also a way to increase our believe in our self. We want to set higher goals than we've had before. We'll have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

Do you have a link to the article?
Edit. I found it! :)

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that sounds nice! :D

We can't be the biggest, not even in Gothenburg, but we can be the best ;) That's kind of our guiding star among the staff at least. Of course we can not compete with the larger aquariums in volume, budget or number of sharks, but we can compete with smaller tanks and live habitats/live ecosystems. We are also in a position were we can benefit from being a part of a museum, instead of "just" an aquarium, when it comes to information, education and exhibition facilities.

Another thing we are hoping to achieve is good water quality. Not only in the reef tanks, but also in say a tank showing a north sea habitat or a live kelp tank. As for my part, I hope the coral reef exhibit will be one of the best in the world at that size. That's my goal. Don't know if it's possible or how long it'll take to get there. :)

That's our goals anyway. It's a long way to go, and probably a lot of compromises along the way. This is also a way to increase our believe in our self. We want to set higher goals than we've had before. We'll have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

Do you have a link to the article?
Edit. I found it! :)
Your corals are the most impressing I've ever seen in a public aquarium anyway. So if you continue with that in the new aquarium it's enough for me. And of course with nice tanks with local marine animals.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are the most impressing I've ever seen in a public aquarium anyway. So if you continue with that in the new aquarium it's enough for me. And of course with nice tanks with local marine animals.
Thank you so much! Yes, I really hope we can continue develop our reef tank :)

/ David

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sikta mot stjärnorna - nå trädtopparna :)

Sweden is known as the "lagom" country and the statement of best reef aquarium in the world is not along Swedes traditions. But in this case - a good mix of scientists, aquarist, technicians and educational persons in the staff, A broad network of different scientist, reefers, biological educated person, ecological thinking people and technicians inside and outside the nation - what can go wrong?

By the way - this month I probably started my last halftime jobb before I get the final 1 room apartment with wodden walls and no windows :) And I started it in the normal Swedish way - with two weeks vacations :) I will be a part of the staff for 4 months on a steady base

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is! The man, the myth, the legend. In his "office". :)

@Lasse will be helping us setting up the temporary Aquarium, fixing all the aquarium computers and making sure we don't forget anything when planning the new Aquarium. Very glad he's helping us out and letting us use his experience.
IMG_6169.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... what could possibly go wrong!? ;)
I wish I was as easy going about this project as Lasse :p

In the last drawing from the architect the doors were to narrow to get the skimmers into the filter room.. :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was as easy going about this project as Lasse :p
It comes with experience.

One of the best life lessons is that anxiety and stress do nothing to make finding a solution easier. A solution will be found, or it will not. Finding a solution is easier if you are not worried about the impact of not finding a solution.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2001 in the end of march I was looking out over an empty 1 400 cubic meters shark tank, over an empty 800 cubic meter cold saltwater tank, over an empty cold water system of 200 cubic meter, an empty warm freshwater system of 200 cubic meter and a smal 90 cubic meters brackish tank. Empty too. The opening (with filled water and fish) was 2 months later 8/6 2001. We managed this.

This experience make me feel 2 years of construction and preparations as a piece of cake :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend before we close to rebuild!
Lots of stuff going on this weekend, from frag workshop to food trucks.

Looked through some old pictures yesterday. Here's one from the 10000L tank from May last year. Before the corals started to break off and fall down on each other :)

Snapseed.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back