10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not the vikings :p We had privateers later on. In Swedish called "kapare". They had a letter from the king and were just allowed to attack ships from certain countrys(enemies to the king). Some of the most famous Swedish privateers lived very close to where the museum is now, but back in 1500-1600 :)

Wow, everything in this thread already and history too! Sweet!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not the vikings :p We had privateers later on. In Swedish called "kapare". They had a letter from the king and were just allowed to attack ships from certain countrys(enemies to the king). Some of the most famous Swedish privateers lived very close to where the museum is now, but back in 1500-1600 :)
Fascinating! I have to admit this is not something that comes to mind when I think of Sweden. I was surprised to see just how eklektisk och färgrik the privateers from Gothenburg were, even into the early 1700's! (I hope I used those terms correctly)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating! I have to admit this is not something that comes to mind when I think of Sweden. I was surprised to see just how eklektisk och färgrik the privateers from Gothenburg were, even into the early 1700's! (I hope I used those terms correctly)
Ha, I had to check the meaning of "eklektisk"! Not a word I use everyday :D But still correct.
I also google for some privateers, they looked really fancy! Better dressed than in the movies.
I think Sweden even had a small colony in the Caribbean, but not for long. The Swedish people were mostly busy fighting the Danish and the Russians back then :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10000L reef is still up and running. We haven't started building the temporary tanks yet, so most of our tanks are still the same. Here a picture from today
Snapseed.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10000L reef is still up and running. We haven't started building the temporary tanks yet, so most of our tanks are still the same. Here a picture from today
Snapseed.jpeg
And it is still looking great! Almost looks like someone cleaned the glass!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is still looking great! Almost looks like someone cleaned the glass!
Thanks!
Yes, we cheated. We cleaned the windows in all the tanks this week. Even if we didn't have to :)
But they look so much healthier when the windows are clean! And after ten years working at public aquariums, algae on the windows is hard to tolerate. I have to bite my tongue every time I see a picture of a great tank, and they forgot to clean the windows properly ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I don't like bubble tips anemones. ;Yuck
Snapseed.jpeg

Looking forward to start cutting down the corals and move them to the new propagation tanks. Maybe I'll start a small tank just for BTAs, not connected to any other tanks ;Bored

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I don't like bubble tips anemones. ;Yuck
Snapseed.jpeg

Looking forward to start cutting down the corals and move them to the new propagation tanks. Maybe I'll start a small tank just for BTAs, not connected to any other tanks ;Bored
It's a fine line between BTA's and Aiptasia! If you have more than you want, they become a pest!

Didn't you have a anemone/clown exhibit?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fine line between BTA's and Aiptasia! If you have more than you want, they become a pest!

Didn't you have a anemone/clown exhibit?
Here it is. They are starting to outcompete the other anemones and the Euphyllia.. But they look pretty nice :)
IMG_5351.jpg

Cyanobacteria! :eek:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed aquarium means no pressure on cleaning the windows. This was what it looked like today after a couple of weeks without cleaning ;Nailbiting
IMG_6400.JPG

So today it was time to clean the window! And take some more photos. The large Montipora colony has started to grow fast again after the lower light period(the heat wave this summer when we turn down the lights).

Snapseed.jpeg

IMG_6403.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday FTS :)
This tank is still running and will be a couple of more months. We're working on the temporary tanks all the animals will be transferred to. More info in the thread "Swedish fish - behind the scenes rebuilding a public aquarium"
Snapseed.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back