OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, what a dream job, you are a lucky man. Have you ever had a discussion with Joe Yaiullo, the curator of the Long Island Aquarium in New York, US? If not I recommend doing so. I'm sure you guys would enjoy discussing your large systems (and your soon to be larger system) and learning from each other.

On another note, let's see that fish list!

Thanks!! I have never spoken to Joe Yaiullo, but seen some of his talks and read a lot about his tank. He actually did a talk in Sweden about 10 years ago. But 10 years ago I was new in the public aquaria world and far to shy to ask any questions :)

The coral reef in Long Island Aquarium is impressive. Probably the best coral reef at a public aquarium with that size. I hope I'll see it live sometimes.

The fish list will come soon. First I have to watch the Swedish cross country skiers competing for a olympic gold!

/ David

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :)

I'm really happy with some things, not so happy with other things.
Very happy with the water, looks like all the corals are doing well. Even some new frags of Acropora humilis and A. spathulata.

Im not so happy with the scape in the lower part. But on the other hand, it's kind of natural that corals breaks and falls down or corals growing over other corals.

/ David

I don't think you have anything to not be happy about (even if I know the feeling and it's that feeling that constantly makes us strive to make it better and evolve). I love this scape so much! It's natural, it's dramatic, I love the light dynamic that goes from very bright to very dark. You really get a feeling of the constant war for space and light.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have anything to not be happy about (even if I know the feeling and it's that feeling that constantly makes us strive to make it better and evolve). I love this scape so much! It's natural, it's dramatic, I love the light dynamic that goes from very bright to very dark. You really get a feeling of the constant war for space and light.

Thank you for the kind words! I sure I'm "hemmablind" as we say in Sweden. If you see something every day, you end up seeing only the bad stuff :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, here comes the fish list for the display tank:

Acanthurus olivaceus 8
Salarias fasciatus 2
Zebrasoma veliferum 1
Amphiprion ocellaris 2
Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis 11
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki 6
Wetmorella nigropinnata 1
Genicanthus melanospilos 2
Ctenochaetus stringosus 3
Genicanthus semifasciatus F 1
Ptereleotris zebra 2
Anampses lineatus 2
Pseudanthias dispar 35
Chelmon rostratus 1
Acreichthys tomenthosus 1
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 2
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia 4
Amblyglyphidodon aureus 1
Pseudanthias squamipinnis 1
Lysmata amboinensis 3
Koumansetta hectori 6
Oxymonacanthus longirostris 2

So about 100 fishes. And then we have some 15-20 fishes in the coral propagation tanks. Just have to update that list.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The morning routine, at least 3 times a week. Window cleaning! :)

IMG_4948.JPG

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what architectural company is going to work with the new building? Kind of keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be Tengbom (where I work) lol.

Me to my boss: "I'm sorry can you take over my other projects, I have to go work from our Gothenburg office for the next few months to help out with a very important project!" :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what architectural company is going to work with the new building? Kind of keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be Tengbom (where I work) lol.

Me to my boss: "I'm sorry can you take over my other projects, I have to go work from our Gothenburg office for the next few months to help out with a very important project!" :rolleyes:

Hehe, that would have been great :)

Our building is owned by the City's company HIGAG. So they will do a tender(upphandling) when they get the permit to build. So it's a long way to go.
But perhaps they already have a architectural bureau, I know GAJD did work for them/us before in this process. I'm not sure of all the details, sorry.

/ David

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom , I may missed it......but, are you using any pellets in this System?
I know from my buddies in Europe many large zoological systems utilize non tumbling pellets for nutrient control.

-Andre

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom , I may missed it......but, are you using any pellets in this System?
I know from my buddies in Europe many large zoological systems utilize non tumbling pellets for nutrient control.

-Andre

Hi Andre,

No, we don't use any pellets for nutrient control. Not sure what type of pellets you mean. Like biopellets or like bioballs?

Most of the time the nutrients are quite low in this tank/system. We have a refugium 1,5 x 0,8 m which is growing well and we take out 5-10 litres of macro algae now and then. If PO4 increase it usually work well to add some GFO in a filter. We have dosed ethanol during some periods when NO3 was over 5. But overall I think we don't have that many fish per volume as smaller tank often have.

/ David

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Andre,

No, we don't use any pellets for nutrient control. Not sure what type of pellets you mean. Like biopellets or like bioballs?

Most of the time the nutrients are quite low in this tank/system. We have a refugium 1,5 x 0,8 m which is growing well and we take out 5-10 litres of macro algae now and then. If PO4 increase it usually work well to add some GFO in a filter. We have dosed ethanol during some periods when NO3 was over 5. But overall I think we don't have that many fish per volume as smaller tank often have.

/ David
I had RI XL pellets in mind which I know some exhibits in for example Holland using.
Well, Methanol is another way ;-)

Thx for the info.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David,

Have you considered using Focustronic's new Alkatrontic (designed by your fellow countrymen @JonasRoman ) ?

Absolutely! I'm waiting for them to sponsor us.. ;) No, I know Jonas who invented the Alkatronic and we have spoken a lot about it. In the future we will buy some kind of KH-device. But right now we will wait, this system is pretty stable. We need to save some somey to the fall when we close the Aquarium and move all the corals to temporary tanks(which we need to buy or build ourselves ;Wideyed).

/ David

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back