100g Cube & Custom Stand Built by Teenagers

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 - You have made a very generous offer and kudos to you!

Unless the previous owner replaced the pump it cannot be a 150 as 150's were never available with that model pump. In any case, it'll be good for the aquarium size!

Screenshot_20190216-085905_Chrome.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Katrina71 - You have made a very generous offer and kudos to you!

Unless the previous owner replaced the pump it cannot be a 150 as 150's were never available with that model pump. In any case, it'll be good for the aquarium size!

Screenshot_20190216-085905_Chrome.jpg
He did replace the pump. He had dense SPS in our tank before we got it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did replace the pump. He had dense SPS in our tank before we got it.

Wow! He must have been very generous, too, to have dense SPS in your tank! Lol

In honor of your sweetness to donate;

OP
OP
mistyash

mistyash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Thanks to you all for your support and kind words.

To start the build, the interested students and I sat down in November to draw out some plans. The old stand gave us something to get measurements from. We were going to reuse a lot of things from the 29 gallon, like the chiller and Iwasaki pump, so we had a few minimum dimensions that we had to work with. The new stand would also fit between two columns in the room, so there was a maximum width for the project. The kids drew some ideas, and then started subtracting the dimensions of various openings and lumber widths. It's amazing how the shelf, two cabinet doors, and a set of drawers start to shrink very quickly when real numbers get applied. We had to make some compromises.

Then we made a cut-list and got out to to the garage! We started with a lesson on measuring, marking, and making cuts precisely. Then we started to stack up the boards.

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

Once the boards were all cut, we were ready to put the thing together. There was no time for fun and games! ;)

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

That's all for today. The kids did really great work. I've never had a group of children work so well and so carefully.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Thanks to you all for your support and kind words.

To start the build, the interested students and I sat down in November to draw out some plans. The old stand gave us something to get measurements from. We were going to reuse a lot of things from the 29 gallon, like the chiller and Iwasaki pump, so we had a few minimum dimensions that we had to work with. The new stand would also fit between two columns in the room, so there was a maximum width for the project. The kids drew some ideas, and then started subtracting the dimensions of various openings and lumber widths. It's amazing how the shelf, two cabinet doors, and a set of drawers start to shrink very quickly when real numbers get applied. We had to make some compromises.

Then we made a cut-list and got out to to the garage! We started with a lesson on measuring, marking, and making cuts precisely. Then we started to stack up the boards.

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

Once the boards were all cut, we were ready to put the thing together. There was no time for fun and games! ;)

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

That's all for today. The kids did really great work. I've never had a group of children work so well and so carefully.

Love this. Thanks for sharing. @Fudsey these folks are in your neck of the woods I think.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this. Thanks for sharing. @Fudsey these folks are in your neck of the woods I think.

Yes not far at all :)

@mistyash A local group on here and on NHfragswap.com are having a frag swap in Manchester on Saturday the 23rd. You can read about it HERE. All are welcome and you don't need frags to attend or buy anything that someone might have for sale.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes not far at all :)

@mistyash A local group on here and on NHfragswap.com are having a frag swap in Manchester on Saturday the 23rd. You can read about it HERE. All are welcome and you don't need frags to attend or buy anything that someone might have for sale.

Very cool! What might be even cooler is if one or two of the vendors donated some frags. They could even claim it as a deduction on their taxes!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What might be even cooler is if one or two of the vendors donated some frags. They could even claim it as a deduction on their taxes!
I agree, too bad nothing in my tank is at the point for fragging or I would :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back