100gal reboot question

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reef nerds! I’m rebooting a neglected 100gal that’s been taken over by GHA. New rock, new sand, changing to fleece roller mat instead of socks and hiring a local fish store to come once per month for maintenance (Work offshore and willing to pay the money to take the task off my busy wife’s schedule) the point being is I’m not rebooting it and trying the same crappy husbandry methods that got me into this algae problem to begin with. I believe that’s called insanity :upside-down-face:

So the question is do you think it’s safe to transfer my coral from the 100gal with GHA to a 45gal with no algae problems? Obviously would scrub off as much as I can and where it’s safe to do so use hydrogen peroxide, but we all know there is still gonna be a little left somewhere.

Big mistake transferring them or should be fine? TIA

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my take is I’m sure whatever algae is on your corals is likley already present in the other tank. I have a few sw tanks and don’t worry about algae transfer, if the conditions are wrong, it usually fades away anyway

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might get a little stressed out from moving into a tank with stable/elevated nutrients, sometimes the algae can drive nutrients really low. As long as you remove as much of the GHA off the coral as possible the remaining bits will likely die and get outcompted by the filtration.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back