Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated: 5/21/20

Current Stock List:

Fish/Clean Up
Sunshine Chromis x5 (largest is 1", rest are 3/4")
Atlantic Surgeon fish (1")
Blue Leg Hermits ~6
Scarlet Reef Hermit x1
Nassarius Snail x1
Nerite Snails ~5
Two Rooted Halimeda Macro Algae
Two Mangrove shoots

Coral
Neon Green Cabbage Leather
Neon Green Sinulara Leather
Yellow Fiji Toadstool
Purple/blue Toadstool
Purple/Tourquoise Sinulara Leather
Palythoa Grandis
Rainbow Rose Bubbletip Anemones x2
Ruby Gonipora
Jedi Mind Trick Monti
Purple/Green Hammers x2
Purple/Splattered Frogspawn
Firework Cristata
Purple/Green Cristata
Unknown Yellow/Gold/Tan Hammer (Still coloring up)

Tons of an unidentified amphi/isopod that help with clean up.

Welp, new tank, so new thread heading.

Picked up a bigger sized acrylic frag tank from my local (well 2.5 hours) fish store who was changing things around. With limited space in the house, it seemed like a good use. Assuming it would fit in the door...

IMG_20191206_202431.jpg

With about 1/8" of an inch to spare!

Looks like this when not holding its stomach in to fit through the door:

IMG_20191207_112935.jpg

The current plan of action:

IMG_20191211_160101.jpg

Piggybacking together, the 30 cube will drain into the overflow of the 105ish, tying the two tanks together, and saving lots of extra plumbing. The return line will be split off the one main as well, so that should make things easier too.

If/when I want to move them around (not be tied together) I'll just have to get some spare acrylic and glue the holes shut into the overflow. Easy-peasy.

Lighting is going to be T5's for the 105, I ordered a 6 bulb from Hamilton yesterday. Thinking of a 150 halide for the 30 cube, but might end up with an ai prime HD I bought a few months ago.

I didn't realize how excited I was to have a bigger tank, cause the fish choices really gets interesting with this much room. Unsure to go lots of small (10-15) or a few bigger (2-4) . We'll see.

Thanks for looking!

Old intro below:

So with the seasons changing, and being inside more now I've decided to use up some empty tanks I've got sitting around. I've got a 60g and 30g cube that are drilled, so I thought I'd use the 75G I picked up a year or so ago at Petco for the sump. It's tempered, so can't drill it (I learned the hard way). I've always wanted to try something different with my next build, so this will let me stretch my creative skills a bit.

I've always loved a really big, display refugium, so I'll be using the 75 as the refugium and the sump. I've got some ideas for that, which I'll get to as I move the build along.

Need to build the stand, plumb and pick up some more equipment. I've got the 30 up now, with an AI Prime HD. Looking into lights for the 60, as I think I want that to be a mixed reef, and I'll use the 30 more as a specialty tank. With roughly 150G of water combined, I should be stable enough.

Pics up once I get building. Hoping by November to have everything up and running. I really want to do this right, so I'll be taking my time to do it right once, and not have to worry about later.

Thanks!

IMG_20191206_202431.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've figured out what I want in the 75 (aside from being a display refugium) - leopard wrasses. I've always wanted a harem of three or four, and I need to decide on species, although leaning towards Potters, with a pair of Potters Angels in there too.

Figured out an easier way to make the stand do what I want it to do, so changed the plans a little bit. I'm looking forward to getting this project together.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an AI Prime HD running on my 30 cube now - anyone know what the depth penetration is ? I'm debating between adding another HD over the 60 cube (250ish with Gooseneck) or going with a Hydra 26. The 60 is 24" deep, although I wonder about trying to grow stuff on the bottom.

Thanks!

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about draining both tanks into same section and using 1 pump and split return to both tanks instead of using 2 separate return pumps?

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about draining both tanks into same section and using 1 pump and split return to both tanks instead of using 2 separate return pumps?

A couple reasons:

One, I want to be able to use the 75G as an AIO down the road, the two overflow towers will allow me to do that (and hide equipment).

Two, I want better control of flow to each tank. (I'm a big fan of four to five times per hour turnover, with wavemakers pushing water around in each tank).

Three, I actually want the two pumps to give off more heat. I live in northern Mn, so I can use all the help from October to March that I can get.

Four, I've got the pumps already, with a single bigger one to be back up if I have any failures.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand just about roughed out. Basics are done, need to let some glue dry and get the frame done. Pics a little bit later once its dry.

I also got a phone call from a LFS (The nearest one is two hours away) that they can get some Starki damsels. Probably my favorite fish that I haven't had luck keeping. Hoping to get a pair out of the six I'm getting Sunday.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up the rest of the wood for the frame tomorrow. I think I'll be going with shiplap pine on the outside of the frame. The rest of the house is that way, so it should fit in. Still need to clean the 75 out (soaking in vinegar now), and I've just pulled some rock out of bleach to dry out then an ro soak for a couple days.

In a good way, the fish my LFS was going to order for me didn't get shipped, another fish store snagged them. Gives me more time to finish up this system.

Already planning on a single big display, but very shallow.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a little remodel on the stand. Original plans would make it just too tall. New plans lower the top of the stand (and thus the tanks) down about eight inches. I think this makes it much less obtrusive along the wall. Hoping for some time Sunday to get some pics up.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my biggest issue is the dang 75 as a sump. The stand has to be big enough to hold it, and still fit along the section of wall I want to put it on. This is my issue.

The 75 is just too big, and the two tanks side by side make it that way.

The good news, is my sneaky overflow box came in yesterday, and I think it will work a treat, with a couple of modifications.

I need a new plan for the sump.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading out to pick up some lumber for the stand. Reconfigured a bit, but (and a big one) we'll have to see what it looks like when it is done. The frame is going to be phugly, the skinning should help.

OP
OP
Soylent Wrasse

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frame is built! Tossed two 60's on the top to make sure they will fit.
IMG_20191011_142408a.jpg

Small issue: 75 can't fit under the tank, not enough room with the beams. I thought I left enough room to squeeze it in there, but it would be a nightmare to worth with. Debating about a couple of 10's and a much smaller sump.

I'm thinking also the possibility of two 60's on top, but the one on the left isn't drilled, so it would take a bit more work for wiring.

Two 60s? 60 and a 30?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back