10g biocube. In need of start up/ tweaking assistance

Taysmart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my saltwater 10g biocube 2 days ago. I used live sand, and dry rock. I currently have nothing in the first compartment, a Im Ghost skimmer in the second, and then the return pump in the last. I’m having issues with micro bubbles, and cloudy water. I’m cycling the tank using a cycle starter (can’t remember which brand). I’m new to saltwater, everything except for the ammonia which is slightly high is in a good zone. Curious as to if the skimmer is causing the micro bubbles, should I even keep it in there ? Am I missing anything that I should have in the tank ? I’m super new to this, so don’t be scared to state the obvious. Thanks in advance

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my saltwater 10g biocube 2 days ago. I used live sand, and dry rock. I currently have nothing in the first compartment, a Im Ghost skimmer in the second, and then the return pump in the last. I’m having issues with micro bubbles, and cloudy water. I’m cycling the tank using a cycle starter (can’t remember which brand). I’m new to saltwater, everything except for the ammonia which is slightly high is in a good zone. Curious as to if the skimmer is causing the micro bubbles, should I even keep it in there ? Am I missing anything that I should have in the tank ? I’m super new to this, so don’t be scared to state the obvious. Thanks in advance
I would take out the skimmer for now. You want to leave all the parts of the nitrogen cycle (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates) in the water to help the cycle along. The skimmer probably is causing the bubbles. Nano skimmers aren’t the greatest. You could easily keep nutrients under control with water changes on a tank that small. Don’t worry about asking questions. We’ve all been there and want to help!!!

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a 12g biocube. I found the skimmer to be unnecessary and really annoying too. It’s likely what is causing your micro bubbles. Be sure you are using good RODI water when doing the water changes. I personally like to leave my lights off when cycling. Algae won’t grow and compete for the nutrients that way.

OP
OP
Taysmart

Taysmart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help ! I will remove the skimmer and see if that helps with the micro bubbles

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said buddy in that tank probably no need for the skimmer. Saying that I had a nano skimmer in my old nano cube and for the first month micro bubbles were insane, and a mean INSANE. But one day they just stopped. I put this down to the skimmer just settling in.. And it worked amazingly well after that. It was also in the second CHAMBER just before the return pump.

So if you have an issue with nutrients later or just a low PH the skimmer may help with that.

OP
OP
Taysmart

Taysmart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the skimmer off, the bubbles stopped and the water is now crystal clear ! I’m a bit disappointed the skimmer sucks, maybe I will invest in one that’s a bit better in the future

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back