10g Reef LED Lighting and Skimmer Questions

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Innovative Marine 10g tank with the divided sump portion. (Innovative Marine)

I'm looking to take my time, do this the right way - and wanted to pic the brains of some fellow reefers about what has worked best for them so that I can make the best decisions for this tank.

Id like to do SPS, and maybe some LPS in this tank.

Im planning on slightly upgrading the return pump to something that pushes at least 100gph - if the overflow can handle it; and Im also planning on using a MP10 vortech.

That being said - Im looking for skimmer and LED fixture recommendations for a tank this size.

One thing that has intrigued me is that AI is coming out with a fixture in the near future that will be $199 and controllable via wifi and a smartphone. (Prime » AquaIllumination®)

As for a skimmer I was considering getting an AquaC remora nano - and again upgrading the pump to something larger (AquaC skimmers in my mind always do better with larger pumps). Again - Id like some help deciding on these things, and would really like to get what works best in these circumstances.

Thanks!

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the light, I would wait for the AI Prime which will come with WIFI built in, which will come with 13 LED's and 7 different colors for $250( with mount included). The only thing is that is not for sale right now until right about before black Friday. As for the skimmer, the best one for this tank would be the IM ghost skimmer, but I think that you can get away with 1gallon weekly water changes like me( I have the same tank). I wouldn't upgrade the stock pump, because if I use it at anything over half power, the water will start to go over the media basket( even the upgraded one). For flow I would just get a jebao WP10 or RW4. As for filtration, I would use filter floss and chemipure blue or elite. Good luck!
I just realized that you know about the light! I would definitely wait for that light!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nano man - good to know that there is another person that feels that light might be worth the investment.

What are you growing? I feel like with SPS I might want to do a skimmer.

I love chemipure and was thinking of utilizing that as well.

Im reading about the IM ghost skimmer now.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nano man - good to know that there is another person that feels that light might be worth the investment.

What are you growing? I feel like with SPS I might want to do a skimmer.

I love chemipure and was thinking of utilizing that as well.

Im reading about the IM ghost skimmer now.
I'm growing LPS, Zoas and the easy SPS like entrusting Montiporas and Birds nest. I have never tried the harder SPS, but I have kept the easy ones for years with no skimmer in my other nano tank. Everything is doing fine in this tank too after about two months.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm growing LPS, Zoas and the easy SPS like entrusting Montiporas and Birds nest. I have never tried the harder SPS, but I have kept the easy ones for years with no skimmer in my other nano tank. Everything is doing fine in this tank too after about two months.

Im going to probably try for some high end SPS - so I would rather have the skimmer in there and be prepared and not have to use it than have to use it and kill some corals.

Have you used the Innovative marine skimmer?

Im trying to find reviews on it but havent gotten much.

Hopefully some others will chime in on this.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to probably try for some high end SPS - so I would rather have the skimmer in there and be prepared and not have to use it than have to use it and kill some corals.

Have you used the Innovative marine skimmer?

Im trying to find reviews on it but havent gotten much.

Hopefully some others will chime in on this.
I just bought the desktop IM ghost skimmer today. I have heard more positive than negative things about it.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick with the stock return pump and add single wp10. That's what I've got on my im16. I've got old model IM skimmer. I have an Evergrow it2040 set pretty low on mine, but it was a leftover from my main display. I'm growing SPS just as well as in my 90g at home. I have refugium and gfo in back chamber and just started dosing two part to keep up since kalk stopped keeping up. Number one upgrade is auto top off imo.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick with the stock return pump and add single wp10. That's what I've got on my im16. I've got old model IM skimmer. I have an Evergrow it2040 set pretty low on mine, but it was a leftover from my main display. I'm growing SPS just as well as in my 90g at home. I have refugium and gfo in back chamber and just started dosing two part to keep up since kalk stopped keeping up. Number one upgrade is auto top off imo.
Oh yeah, an ATO is also very important!

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ill definitely be going with an ATO on this tank - with this small of a tank you dont want to have swings from evaporation especially if I were gone for a few days.

Would you recommend your light or the skimmer?

Havent decided if I will get a dosing pump or not...guess I will have to test and see when it becomes necessary.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend your light or the skimmer?

I would stay away from the IM old skimmer, since I have heard that it is no good. I don't even think that IM sells it anymore though.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend ocreef par38 led light with their gooseneck. I just sold mine. It grew sps great in my old 9g nano. I've got old IM skimmer. It works decent, but I unplug it at work on the weekends because it has a problem with overflowing for no reason sometimes. Is the ghost better?

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend ocreef par38 led light with their gooseneck. I just sold mine. It grew sps great in my old 9g nano. I've got old IM skimmer. It works decent, but I unplug it at work on the weekends because it has a problem with overflowing for no reason sometimes. Is the ghost better?
According to most reviewers and owners, the ghost is better. I'm getting mine this coming Friday.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to most reviewers and owners, the ghost is better. I'm getting mine this coming Friday.

Despite the sale I will probably wait a while to see how this goes nanoman - Ive got nothing but time as I think I will go with the AI fixture at this point. That doesnt come out for another month, so your skimmer should be broken in by then.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite the sale I will probably wait a while to see how this goes nanoman - Ive got nothing but time as I think I will go with the AI fixture at this point. That doesnt come out for another month, so your skimmer should be broken in by then.
Oh yeah, time is on your side.

lirrgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haved the 16g inno marine aio tank . I bought the desk top im skimmer. it goes into the left chamber. its a tight tight fit. had to cut the air hose to stop it from kinking. it is very hard to control. im not liking it. its to hard to control with the evaporation. if you don't keep the water in the chambers at the same level all the time....you will be trying to control it 24/7. plus because its such a tight fit. when I twist the top off to empty it. its actually breaking the seal on the back wall. im not happy with it at all. I had the remora on another tank. one of my favorites. ME personaly . probabaly don't need one anyway. or would buy one that hangs on the outside instead of inside.

lirrgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one. just one. works pretty good.if my pump was stronger would work great!. I use on the left of my tank. for the little guys that like more water movement. I like them. nice addition..this was ment for the attachement to the flow heads post. sorry

Last edited:

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nano skimmer

5 Best Nano Protein Skimmers | Home Aquaria this is just some random list that I had found online. I personally own the mid sized ghost and have it on a IM Micro 30. It took a week to break in and is still spewing microbubbles. It could be I'm just used to bigger tanks but personally I'm not impressed. Also 200 dollars(for the mid-sized)? Are you kidding me innovative marine?

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haved the 16g inno marine aio tank . I bought the desk top im skimmer. it goes into the left chamber. its a tight tight fit. had to cut the air hose to stop it from kinking. it is very hard to control. im not liking it. its to hard to control with the evaporation. if you don't keep the water in the chambers at the same level all the time....you will be trying to control it 24/7. plus because its such a tight fit. when I twist the top off to empty it. its actually breaking the seal on the back wall. im not happy with it at all. I had the remora on another tank. one of my favorites. ME personaly . probabaly don't need one anyway. or would buy one that hangs on the outside instead of inside.

Like I said, maybe run the nano with a MJ1200?

I bought one. just one. works pretty good.if my pump was stronger would work great!. I use on the left of my tank. for the little guys that like more water movement. I like them. nice addition..this was ment for the attachement to the flow heads post. sorry

Which one do you have?

5 Best Nano Protein Skimmers | Home Aquaria this is just some random list that I had found online. I personally own the mid sized ghost and have it on a IM Micro 30. It took a week to break in and is still spewing microbubbles. It could be I'm just used to bigger tanks but personally I'm not impressed. Also 200 dollars(for the mid-sized)? Are you kidding me innovative marine?

Yea, saw that list. One of the reasons I considered the remora nano. Im thinking now that I will go that way because all I will have to have behind the tank is the maxijet instead of the whole skimmer. Hard to sneak a heater and an ATO back in there as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back