OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no sand at all. It makes cleaning so much easier, and gives you an excuse to buy a bunch of encrusting corals for the bottom glass.
Good point.

I was thinking of add a thin layer to complement the island effect that I am thinking of doing with the existing rock. Time for some changes.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a really good conversation with @Joe Glass Cages Monday. These guys are so helpful. Over the weekend I redesigned a new sump and mixing tank for the sump closet.

After our conversation with all the little things I would like, think of. I am going to build the sump and mixing tank out of glass. I am drilling hole for drains and over flows drains I the sump. I was thinking of purchasing a 40 gal breeder for the sump, the draw back to that Idea is the bottom and side might be tempered and not drill able. that would make like so much easier especially if petco has a $1 a gallon sale. Then I would just make the mixing tank.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I'll be following along.

I am eagerly awaiting a similarly dimensioned tank (48x24x24) from @Joe Glass Cages . I'm hoping it will be here in a week or so. The folks there have definitely been nice to work with.
Congratulations and also exciting. They make a clean looking tank. Did you go rimless? or Braced? It would be great to see picture of the tank, when the tank arrives.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and congrats!

Joe and my local distributor (who is new at this so Joe needed to step in here or there) have been a great team. Very thorough and easy to talk to. I’ve seen the pictures and it apparently holds water so I an excited. Two weeks ago I was told it would ship within 2 weeks so I’m hopeful it will be ready for pickup this week or next.

My tank is taking a bit longer than the given window. It’s a fun purchase so I don’t really care that it’s taking an extra week or so…I could be wrong but I think it’s actually going to be about 2 weeks technically over initial estimate. Not a complaint, just an FYI when planning. Extra time can be dangerous for me as my sump and refugium have been setup and running for 5-6 weeks now and Im already rethinking, andding, and reworking things before I even have the tank!

I (sand) sifted through some of these posts and in regards to sand I did a lot of reading and it seems that the black sand can and will often leach metals and things into your water. We were going to go with Tahitian Black Sand (I learned it’s been discontinued) as years back our favorite tank used this sand. I think the Hawaiian Black also has leaching issues. I’d also mention you need to really look at the Hawaiian Black as it’s more salt and pepper and the variation from white-to-black changes from bag to bag. Personally I don’t like it. I bought two bags and Im throwing them away (purchased before I heard about leaching). Conversely if anyone has a true black sand thats shown to be clean on an ICP test, I’d appreciate it as I still have time to switch.

I do love sand though! I’m using a mix of fine sand and special grade as I think it looks the most natural and makes gobies and pistol shrimp happy vs crushed coral or oolitic. My temporary 125g standard holding tank has no sand and honestly, I don’t know how people do it. It looks like a frag tank with LR.

Preemptively- My tank is a 83x24x25 rimless. It’s been so long and it was such a whirlwind (over a few months I had surgery. Tank leaked middle of night. More surgery. Ordered new tank) Oxycodone is a heck of a drug so I’m not 100% sure what I ordered but I believe I got the black water line trim, low-e on the front, and my overflows are on one side. I got an overflow cover and pad as well (which I forgot about and had to add-on).

Here’s the tank sans black background and side.

24E8596E-98D6-4910-B2A0-FB4B78064135.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is taking a bit longer than the given window. It’s a fun purchase so I don’t really care that it’s taking an extra week or so…I could be wrong but I think it’s actually going to be about 2 weeks technically over initial estimate. Not a complaint, just an FYI when planning. Extra time can be dangerous for me as my sump and refugium have been setup and running for 5-6 weeks now and Im already rethinking, andding, and reworking things before I even have the tank!
I my line of work, I build custom projects for clients, I take my time and always run longer. Plus sourcing materials is frustrating these days.
I (sand) sifted through some of these posts and in regards to sand I did a lot of reading and it seems that the black sand can and will often leach metals and things into your water. We were going to go with Tahitian Black Sand (I learned it’s been discontinued) as years back our favorite tank used this sand. I think the Hawaiian Black also has leaching issues. I’d also mention you need to really look at the Hawaiian Black as it’s more salt and pepper and the variation from white-to-black changes from bag to bag. Personally I don’t like it. I bought two bags and Im throwing them away (purchased before I heard about leaching). Conversely if anyone has a true black sand thats shown to be clean on an ICP test, I’d appreciate it as I still have time to switch.
I have Hawaiian black sand now. I agree the sand has a salt and pepper look, and the sand stick to the glass magnets and scraps the glass if not careful. I am thinking of going with a think layer of natural or silver sand if I can find the sand.

Back in the day, pooka shell substrate was the thing with a undergravel filter.

I was also looking at the. pink sand with some shell in it.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I my line of work, I build custom projects for clients, I take my time and always run longer. Plus sourcing materials is frustrating these days.

I have Hawaiian black sand now. I agree the sand has a salt and pepper look, and the sand stick to the glass magnets and scraps the glass if not careful. I am thinking of going with a think layer of natural or silver sand if I can find the sand.

Back in the day, pooka shell substrate was the thing with a undergravel filter.

I was also looking at the. pink sand with some shell in it.
I’m typically the person driving projects and writing checks so we’re going to have a fight when it comes scheduling and deadlines if we go too far down that road .

The magnetism is definitely an issue but one I was willing to deal with. The leeching isn’t something I can look past.

I keep hearing “silver sand” so I’m definitely going to fall down that rabbit hole this morning.

I recall the first time I saw the crushed shell (no under-filter) and my immediate thought was “oh my good cleaning that would be a nightmare.” That particular reefer was one the dumbest smart people I’d ever met.

The fine sand/pink is beautiful (but not my first choice) and yes there will be storms but I have run insane amounts of flow in shallow tanks with it and it eventually settles down. It will smooth out and compress a bit and become less of an issue. The fine grain sand will not grow algae on it like some larger substrates.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! For sand it honestly depends on what you intend to keep. I always go bare bottom with sps dominated, one less thing to worry about and you wouldn’t have something that will be disrupted by the strong flow. however if it is a mixed reef I do recommend white sand which will give you more options of what you could keep from inverts and fish.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations and also exciting. They make a clean looking tank. Did you go rimless? or Braced? It would be great to see picture of the tank, when the tank arrives.

I went with a braced tank. The powers that be here nudged me into making a build thread, so there will most definitely be some pictures :)

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a really good conversation with @Joe Glass Cages Monday. These guys are so helpful. Over the weekend I redesigned a new sump and mixing tank for the sump closet.

After our conversation with all the little things I would like, think of. I am going to build the sump and mixing tank out of glass. I am drilling hole for drains and over flows drains I the sump. I was thinking of purchasing a 40 gal breeder for the sump, the draw back to that Idea is the bottom and side might be tempered and not drill able. that would make like so much easier especially if petco has a $1 a gallon sale. Then I would just make the mixing tank.
most awesome @jsker

DIY is so fun. so gratifying too. Here if you need support.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m typically the person driving projects and writing checks so we’re going to have a fight when it comes scheduling and deadlines if we go too far down that road .

The magnetism is definitely an issue but one I was willing to deal with. The leeching isn’t something I can look past.

I keep hearing “silver sand” so I’m definitely going to fall down that rabbit hole this morning.

I recall the first time I saw the crushed shell (no under-filter) and my immediate thought was “oh my good cleaning that would be a nightmare.” That particular reefer was one the dumbest smart people I’d ever met.

The fine sand/pink is beautiful (but not my first choice) and yes there will be storms but I have run insane amounts of flow in shallow tanks with it and it eventually settles down. It will smooth out and compress a bit and become less of an issue. The fine grain sand will not grow algae on it like some larger substrates.
Good advice, the thing we do not think about when choose sand.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! For sand it honestly depends on what you intend to keep. I always go bare bottom with sps dominated, one less thing to worry about and you wouldn’t have something that will be disrupted by the strong flow. however if it is a mixed reef I do recommend white sand which will give you more options of what you could keep from inverts and fish.
Thank you for you post. Yes having a mixed, sound like fine sand will work better.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I'll be following along.

I am eagerly awaiting a similarly dimensioned tank (48x24x24) from @Joe Glass Cages . I'm hoping it will be here in a week or so. The folks there have definitely been nice to work with.
Most awesome @rhitee93

we can't wait for you to get your tank. Thanks for the opportunity to serve you!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most awesome @jsker

DIY is so fun. so gratifying too. Here if you need support.
I have alway wanted to experiment with a glass DIY project. I have done my fair share of acrylic work.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and congrats!

Joe and my local distributor (who is new at this so Joe needed to step in here or there) have been a great team. Very thorough and easy to talk to. I’ve seen the pictures and it apparently holds water so I an excited. Two weeks ago I was told it would ship within 2 weeks so I’m hopeful it will be ready for pickup this week or next.

I do love sand though! I’m using a mix of fine sand and special grade as I think it looks the most natural and makes gobies and pistol shrimp happy vs crushed coral or oolitic. My temporary 125g standard holding tank has no sand and honestly, I don’t know how people do it. It looks like a frag tank with LR.

Preemptively- My tank is a 83x24x25 rimless. It’s been so long and it was such a whirlwind (over a few months I had surgery. Tank leaked middle of night. More surgery. Ordered new tank) Oxycodone is a heck of a drug so I’m not 100% sure what I ordered but I believe I got the black water line trim, low-e on the front, and my overflows are on one side. I got an overflow cover and pad as well (which I forgot about and had to add-on).

Here’s the tank sans black background and side.

24E8596E-98D6-4910-B2A0-FB4B78064135.jpeg
Most Radical @srobertb

Awesome build. Can't wait for you to get it. Thanks for allow us to be a part of your journey!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Radical @srobertb

Awesome build. Can't wait for you to get it. Thanks for allow us to be a part of your journey!
To add, that is going to be a sweet peninsula build. I see you did the coast to cost.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve , what is the black sand we can use safely ?
It is not actually sand. It is called coal slag (nothing to worry about with it. Completely inert and stays that way). It is used for sand blasting.

Black Diamond is the brand you can get at Tractor Supply. Go for the medium grit, as it is about the same as special grade with the size, doesn’t get blown around, and sand sifters/sleepers do fine with it. Doesn’t affect alk, bond po4 and is basically just a place for bacteria to live. @dantimdad has also used it for years. Not sure if he does icp tests like I do, but nothing odd has ever showed up using it. Just need to rinse real well and then put it in. Rinsing is only to remove dust.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not actually sand. It is called coal slag (nothing to worry about with it. Completely inert and stays that way). It is used for sand blasting.

Black Diamond is the brand you can get at Tractor Supply. Go for the medium grit, as it is about the same as special grade with the size, doesn’t get blown around, and sand sifters/sleepers do fine with it. Doesn’t affect alk, bond po4 and is basically just a place for bacteria to live. @dantimdad has also used it for years. Not sure if he does icp tests like I do, but nothing odd has ever showed up using it. Just need to rinse real well and then put it in. Rinsing is only to remove dust.
I have done one and it turned up nothing from the slag. I still use it in freshwater tanks because it grows plants well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back