OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not actually sand. It is called coal slag (nothing to worry about with it. Completely inert and stays that way). It is used for sand blasting.

Black Diamond is the brand you can get at Tractor Supply. Go for the medium grit, as it is about the same as special grade with the size, doesn’t get blown around, and sand sifters/sleepers do fine with it. Doesn’t affect alk, bond po4 and is basically just a place for bacteria to live. @dantimdad has also used it for years. Not sure if he does icp tests like I do, but nothing odd has ever showed up using it. Just need to rinse real well and then put it in. Rinsing is only to remove dust.
Thank you. I do have black sand now.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

We have moved to the Saint Louis Missouri Area. We are presently looking for the right house and property. We are hoping to find a house in January 2024 then have the tank delivered. It will take a couple of month to get situated, then the tank build will start.

I am eager to get the tank build started!! Look at all the tanks on R2R has got me wanting to have a tank up LOL

Once we get into a house, I can really start planning the build.

Have an awesome New Years!! and great 2024!!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but should your title & signature be ‘cost to cost’ or ‘coast to coast ?
Nice catch, I cannot spell :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Thank you, I will fix that:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but should your title & signature be ‘cost to cost’ or ‘coast to coast ?
Fixed!!

I still would like to get a house, tank delivered and setup.

• I am thinking of going with 3 GHL lights instead of two.
  • New controller, GHL
  • New external return pump, I am still on the fence
  • No black sand but I still have not decided on the sand
  • I would like to try out the @Aquaforest rock to build the rock work
  • I am going to run Aquaforest hybrid salt and the 1+2+3+ and a couple other products
  • I am still thinking of building my own sump, ate, and mix tank with glass. I have the adhesive and a plan. I am thinking to revise the plan to go bigger with the sump. Any ideas?
  • If I go bigger on the sump I will have to go bigger than the Red Sea 300
  • I am still going to go with filter socks, I figure out near the end of the Bowfront that running Voka dosing, and not running socks every day, the tank was not starved. If I want more nitrates, keep the socks in longer.
  • I need to find a good Auto top off system. I like auto aqua but I would like to have something that communicates with the controller.
I should have a larger office area to set the stand and tank further away from the wall. I am also looking at have the new setup/office in the basement to conserver on electric and for a more consistent temperature. I would like to have an area that is remote to set the sump, out of view of the DT.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck in Saint Louis. Have a healthy and happy New Year! Look forward to seeing the tank.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you. It is nice being back up in the cold.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update on the build progress.

We are still looking for a home to live, then to start the build. I really want to thank @Joe Glass Cages for being great to work with and patient with my whole relocation process.

Joe sent me some eye candy and motivation. I will clean out a space this weekend and get the tank delivered, then store the tank until we find the right home to call home.

IMG_2062.jpg

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It beautiful! Best of luck with it and finding the perfect new home.
Thank you. :) If I can get close to 80% of our needs on a house, I can do the rest. I did not realize how low the inventory for houses was here:eek:

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

We have moved to the Saint Louis Missouri Area. We are presently looking for the right house and property. We are hoping to find a house in January 2024 then have the tank delivered. It will take a couple of month to get situated, then the tank build will start.

I am eager to get the tank build started!! Look at all the tanks on R2R has got me wanting to have a tank up LOL

Once we get into a house, I can really start planning the build.

Have an awesome New Years!! and great 2024!!
Hey the benefit of being in STL is that you've got a nice reeftuber in your area that's walked through the best LFS in the area.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with coast to coast where does the return go?

Did you go with a trim or no trim on the bottom?

If it’s a no trim bottom, does it have an interior brace?

I get so overwhelmed on the options choices. I always pick so many upgrades. The tank starts at $900 then it’s at $2700 lol. I’m saving up! I had the money until my husband (he’s retired CPA) looks at my w2 and tells me that I will own $3000 in federal

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey the benefit of being in STL is that you've got a nice reeftuber in your area that's walked through the best LFS in the area.
I will have to find the link, it has been a long time since I lived in STL.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return hole are driller in the bottom of the coast to coast.

Since I do not have the tank yet, this would be a good question for @Joe Glass Cages to answer
Great questions @jsker and @fishface NJ

All our rimless and perimeter only bracing glass tanks are built with no trim bottom with interior bottom bracing.

FYI, all our tanks are built with interior bracing. Been building this way for over 30 years now.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions @jsker and @fishface NJ

All our rimless and perimeter only bracing glass tanks are built with no trim bottom with interior bottom bracing.

FYI, all our tanks are built with interior bracing. Been building this way for over 30 years now.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for answering @fishface NJ question.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had time this week to go to Sea Scape Studios in Sunset Hills this week. Pretty cool shop. the frags were pretty large compared to the ones I am used to seeing. They had a good variety of fish.

I am going to check out some of the LFS on the south side of St. Louis next week.

I was down at the St. Louis Aquarium yesterday. Nice experience, make one want a fish tank again :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1693.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back