1100g ish plywood build

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any lip for the glass to fit into or does it just sit on the bottom and cover the whole side? How did you brace the 8' side?

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3" lip around both panels for it to sit into, back 8' section is braced with 2x4 top stringer, and cross braces every 2 ft down to the concrete which are secured with concrete nails, than an additional set of 2x4s are spaced in between these to support the bottom edge and further reinforce the top. See picture though this on the short side.
PA140049 by Scott Chase, on Flickr

Silentreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you braced the sides good enough if the 2x4s will hold the pressure the short way or if theres a way to get the viewing panels closer to the edge of the frame and not so recessed in the frame. Or silicone the 2 glass panels together and plywood/2x4 the rest. Anyone have any experience with this. Sorry dont mean to thread jack but just doing some random brainstorming

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you braced the sides good enough if the 2x4s will hold the pressure the short way or if theres a way to get the viewing panels closer to the edge of the frame and not so recessed in the frame. Or silicone the 2 glass panels together and plywood/2x4 the rest. Anyone have any experience with this. Sorry dont mean to thread jack but just doing some random brainstorming
You could do it the short way with top braces, but I really wanted to avoid any top braces to make it easy to snorkel in their when I have to get in to do work.

Silentreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it the short way with top braces, but I really wanted to avoid any top braces to make it easy to snorkel in their when I have to get in to do work.

What if you were to do a euro brace style around the top with no center brace would that work? Dont most big tanks use 3/4" glass for braceless designs? I'm sure theres a calculator for this but I have no idea what search words to use

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting close to being full with saltwater, will run the last circuit for lighting in the morning. Got a great deal on the light rack so couldnt chop it up. Most if the rock and sand in. Should be full by Wednesday next week.

15418254230932229895307358719966.jpg

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main tank has 2 30g containers worth and about four 5 gallon buckets, my "fuge" has 2 30g buckets worth and two 5g buckets worth. Fuge is where the deep sand bed is at, main tank has sand to protect the bottom and for the wrasses that will use it.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of shirt but had to go snorkeling today to do some aquascaping

PB160051.JPG
You know you have a monster tank when you have to go snorkelling in it to adjust the aquascape!! Lol

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to clear up enough to take some more pics. Would help if I could actually stay out of the tank, getting a few diatoms on the sand which is to be expected, all the test corals added so far are doing well and I added the first group of fish for quarantine last Friday. So far a Sailfin tang, Dusumeri, Blue Hippo, and Scopas, Majestic angel, Bluethroat trigger, and Princess parrot. I still have an Asfur angel, Emperator angel, French angel, Powder brown tang, Sohal tang (may go into the seagrass tank), Surge Wrasse, Arceye hawk, Harlequin tusk, and pair of Clarkii clowns in the next set of quarantine fish to go in, set after that in a different qtank Banana wrasse (may go into the seagrass tank), Banana fish, and Vlaminigi tang in that setup.
PB250056 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250055 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250054 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250058 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250057 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250059 by Scott Chase, on Flickr

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to clear up enough to take some more pics. Would help if I could actually stay out of the tank, getting a few diatoms on the sand which is to be expected, all the test corals added so far are doing well and I added the first group of fish for quarantine last Friday. So far a Sailfin tang, Dusumeri, Blue Hippo, and Scopas, Majestic angel, Bluethroat trigger, and Princess parrot. I still have an Asfur angel, Emperator angel, French angel, Powder brown tang, Sohal tang (may go into the seagrass tank), Surge Wrasse, Arceye hawk, Harlequin tusk, and pair of Clarkii clowns in the next set of quarantine fish to go in, set after that in a different qtank Banana wrasse (may go into the seagrass tank), Banana fish, and Vlaminigi tang in that setup.
PB250056 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250055 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250054 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250058 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250057 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB250059 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
The amount of jealousy I feel looking at this is hard to put into words lol

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a pic of the 350g refugium/seagrass tank, first seagrasses should arrive later this week, the 5 gallon bucket is full of sand and will have mangroves planted in it. Once I get enough rock the bucket won't be visible anymore but need to find some more first.
PB270006 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
Getting clear enough I can start to take some pics of the corals and fish that have been added so far though it looks like to get good photos I will have to get in and do them underwater.
PB270008 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB270009 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB270010 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB270011 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB270012 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
PB270013 by Scott Chase, on Flickr
and finally a pic of a coral on the far side from the long view of the tank
PB270015 by Scott Chase, on Flickr

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you source your sea grasses? I don't know much about them, do a few plugs spread rapidly?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back