1100g ish plywood build

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about the fire and all of your loses. Hoping that you don't find any further damage. Best of luck on the rebuild.

jmsalt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled across this thread tonight and was amazed by what you were building then out loud I said “oh my god” as I reached your first post about the fire damage. I am truly sorry for what you are going thru. Your dedication and perseverance should you rebuild that monster tank is inspiring.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no and was coming along nice. Hopefully you can rebound and thank goodness for pex line.
Best is no other damage and everyone safe . Makes me think ........., Smoke alarm st the outlet for fish tank

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to pick at anything. But this is 1,100g. Very end of October - still no water. A few weeks later - tons of fish and corals. Then they all died. It was mentioned that they were quarantined but still got ich or velvet. Cause was addition of rocks. Lots of things that went wrong here with such a large tank with loads of money and work involved. With that said, sorry about the fire. Parasites and lost fish can be dealt with. Fires are a whole different beast.

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again fire had nothing to do with the tank other than being in the storage area for the tank, so please I don't want to hear it. All rock back in October had been cycling for more than 4 years, sadly velvet is rampant around these parts and I made a bad choice along the way last year. This disaster is in no way related to the original one.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, hate to see that. Tank was looking really nice (I particularly liked your aquascape). Amazing that the tank glass didn’t shatter from the heat. Curious what you think killed the fish? Heat, toxins from the smoke, O2 from power loss?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, hate to see that. Tank was looking really nice (I particularly liked your aquascape). Amazing that the tank glass didn’t shatter from the heat. Curious what you think killed the fish? Heat, toxins from the smoke, O2 from power loss?
Probably lack of dissolved oxygen from a raise in temp?

James Martz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Incredible build followed by an incredible mishap! Glad the damage was contained.

If I may ask, where did you find a Surge Wrasse? Saw that you had one earlier - pre velvet. Been searching for a long night time for one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surge wrasse was a misorder, velvet actually didn't take it out, that honor goes to the princess parrot. Most likely were taken out by lack of O2, still have a lot of corals from both systems that look like they will pull through, good news is I found the pair of Niger triggers alive yesterday as well as the pair of maroon clowns, a dragon goby, and a Black Durgeon trigger. Ironically the tank closest to the fire had the best survival rate, probably due to the pex dumping cool water into the tank, was a total loss of fish in my 480g which is on the other side of the room. Forgot oy add but after looking at the tank I may be able to make repairs and rebuild faster than expected, I will give it a try and see what happens, I guess if it works I will probably be the only person in the world that can claim their tank was actually on fire at some point and is still operational

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this thread was crazy enough and then I read the last page. Sorry this happened and very glad to hear you are going to set it back up again.

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am for sure going to attempt repairs first, the tank held water for 4 days after the fire with one small leak on the front glass panel, should be an easy fix there, fire damage to the rear panels seems to be only in the top layer of the plywood so I will clean it off than stack 2x4s to reinforce just to be safe. In reality it is probably fine the way it is but that will help to seal up the smoke smell, for the bottom panel, it was tripled to begin with and only burnt the bottom layer and not completely through, I am going to custom cut pieces of plywood to fit between the spaces on the steel and to seal these areas as well and reinforce slightly. Any other plan would require a 100% tear down and rebuild which if I can avoid I will. Hopefully I can start work on repairs in two weeks, right now it still has all the live rock and sand without corals in the tank with circulation and approx 400 gallons of water, no leaking at this level either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just waiting to move a couple corals out of the refugium section to finish refilling it. Hopefully by the end of the month. No leaks so far. About 150 gallons to go

20190709_205440.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back