OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a light back on today 1 down 5 more to go. Doing another 100 gallons of fill as well which should put me right about 50 gallons from full. Amazingly a Maxi mini carpet has survived the last 2 and a half months in there with no light, no heat, and barely any circulation. Didn't know it was still alive till now, of course the aptasia is doing fine as well. Will start working on aquascaping again next and finish getting the lights back on.

20190713_140844.jpg

20190713_140857.jpg

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang leak redeveloped in the same place with the latest fill, got to figure out what to do now. Leak is real slow probably less than a cup a day and won't put the tank in any imminent danger of failure. Hard part is I have no idea where it is coming in, only redeveloped with water in the last 8 inches near the top but is coming out about half way down through a crack in the plywood. Guess I will take it back down to the previous level and reevaluate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Smother outside with 2 part Marine epoxy as I did successfully with a leak a couple of years ago. Alcohol wipe area Before application.
I also made a large funnel out of a 2 litre bottle with a hose that led to sump to recirculate the water that ran into it as a safety backup

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do something like that but the leak is presenting midway through the sheet of plywood so while I can seal it I would just be sealing it into the wood rather in the tank. Not entirely sure how it is even coming through since I am positive the top part of the seam is sealed so my best guess is that it is channeling from somewhere lower up through the silicone than going back down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would do something like that but the leak is presenting midway through the sheet of plywood so while I can seal it I would just be sealing it into the wood rather in the tank. Not entirely sure how it is even coming through since I am positive the top part of the seam is sealed so my best guess is that it is channeling from somewhere lower up through the silicone than going back down.
That appears to be the leak path

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drained it 70 g down and appears to be stopping again, I guess I could try to make a repair above the water line and than if that fails just redrill it and run it as a 900g instead

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided that I will drain the tank completely and reseal that panel of glass, new glue arrives next week so will be a week till I can even begin to start refilling at this point.

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas the reseal didn't work, this week I will drain it completely, have a new gallon of paint and more silicone on the way, was really trying to avoid moving more than a ton of rock and sand but looks like that is my only option.

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas the reseal didn't work, this week I will drain it completely, have a new gallon of paint and more silicone on the way, was really trying to avoid moving more than a ton of rock and sand but looks like that is my only option.

Unlucky mate. That is a shame to hear as I can only imagine the work involved!

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took around 4 hours to get everything out, and than another 8 hours scraping and cleaning to get ready for paint. Finished the second coat of paint on Monday but had a bit left over. Ended up putting a total of 8 coats in the leaking corner. Will let it dry all day and see how it is tonight than either caulk it late tonight or tomorrow. One more day of cure time and I will run a direct RO line to the tank to start filling so I don't waste salt if I still have a leak, which at this point would surprise me if I do. Joint have almost enough paint on them to be sealed without silicone now.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took around 4 hours to get everything out, and than another 8 hours scraping and cleaning to get ready for paint. Finished the second coat of paint on Monday but had a bit left over. Ended up putting a total of 8 coats in the leaking corner. Will let it dry all day and see how it is tonight than either caulk it late tonight or tomorrow. One more day of cure time and I will run a direct RO line to the tank to start filling so I don't waste salt if I still have a leak, which at this point would surprise me if I do. Joint have almost enough paint on them to be sealed without silicone now.
Thank you for documenting going through all this. I really want to try a plywood tank in the near future and love learning from you!

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been added, next up getting all the corals back in and more fish of course. So far the fish are: Achilles tang, Vlamingii, Bariene?(too small to tell for sure but somewhere in that group), Yellow, and Purple tangs, French Angel, Banana Fish, Harlequin tusk, Copperband Butterfly, and Heniochus butterfly. Currently in quarantine: Regal Angel, Lemonpeel angel, Moorish Idol, Powder Blue tang, Niger Trigger, and Bluethroat trigger

PA010146.JPG PA010147.JPG

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following now! So sorry to hear about the fire, so much money lost and time spent on it. Hope it bounces back! Can't wait to see the progress!

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read thru your ups and down. Every page. Truly you're a man that knows the meaning of "Perserve and Endeavor".

Following.

OP
OP
scchase

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to fill back in, next set of fish is scheduled to come out of Q in the next few days, second set of corals going through Q as well, will bring the remaining lights that are still off back online as corals fill in and they are needed.
PA270222.JPG
PA270223.JPG
PA270224.JPG
PA270225.JPG
PA270226.JPG

Back