120 Gallon ORA Display at the FAU Harbor Branch Visitors Center

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I work as an outreach scientist and aquarist at the visitors center for Florida Atlantic University's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute (HBOI) in Fort Pierce Fl. We are a small educational facility that is designed to showcase the research the institute's scientists and engineers are conducting. I have posted several build threads in the past showing the live displays that we have created to better illustrate the amazing research being done here. Below are the links to the other threads if anyone is interested in learning more about our many exhibits:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...t-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.413700/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seagrass-aquarium-at-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.444340/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sponge-reef-at-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.409311/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...t-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.486709/

This build, however, is slightly different than my others in that it doesn't highlight our research at HBOI, but the efforts of one of our collaborators. As a long time aquarist, this build hits close to home as it focuses on the current sustainability of the hobby we all enjoy so much. According to current estimates, the marine aquarium trade is worth over $200 million per year in the US alone. This is includes the trade of around 10 million saltwater fish as well as countless corals and invertebrates (though a lot of this is poorly tracked). Unfortunately, coral reefs around the world are struggling from many human impacts and harvest for the aquarium trade can be stressful if done carelessly. The best way to help mitigate these impacts is through aquaculturing species desirable for the aquarium trade. While this is being done pretty well for corals, fish are a different story. There are a little over 2,000 different species of ornamental marine fish that are regularly sold in the aquarium trade and and less than 20% of those have been bred in captivity, with less than 5% being commercially available. While a well-managed fishery for marine ornamentals can benefit many economies around the world, an increase in aquaculture efforts is vital in picking up the slack and taking the harvest pressure away from reefs around the world. The tank that I will be showcasing in this build is from a company doing just that, Oceans Reefs and Aquariums (ORA).

Oceans Reefs and Aquariums was founded in 1996 and has grown to be one of the largest marine ornamental hatcheries in North America. This private company leases land from the HBOI Aquaculture Park, and is a great asset for our campus. ORA has been supplying the environmentally conscientious aquarist with marine fish, coral, invertebrates and live foods for many years and have made it their mission to conserve the natural marine environment.

coralgreenhouse.jpg

ORA is probably best known for their culture of designer clownfish, which come in all sorts of amazing color varieties, but they also have cultures of many different classic and prized hard corals. Some of these corals are cultured at their domestic facility here at HBOI (pictured above), but in 2003 ORA acquired a mariculture facility in the Marshall Islands (pictured below). The MIMF is probably best known for its Giant Clam Hatchery, which supplies many varieties of Tridacna maxima, T. squamosa, T. derasa and now its much awaited T. hippopus and T. gigas!

ora-clownfish.jpg

ora-homepage-slider_2.jpg

mimf2.jpg

mimf4.jpg

mimf6.jpg

clam.jpg

The work that companies like ORA do is critical in the preservation of the saltwater aquarium hobby. While it may take many more years to figure out the life cycles of coveted species of ornamental marine fish and produce them on a scale that can meet the demand, it is crucial that we as hobbyists support companies trying to do their part in making the saltwater aquarium hobby more sustainable.

Whew! Now for the tank! This display will be part of our aquaculture exhibit and will be primarily SPS dominant (my favorite! :D). It will allow us to educate our visitors about the aquarium hobby, the work that ORA conducts on our campus and sustainability efforts. As you can imagine, when we pitched the idea of this display to ORA they were very excited and supportive and have worked closely with us to make it happen!

Equipment List:

Marineland 120 gallon Corner Flo aquarium
6 Ecotech Radion XR15's with diffuser plates
2 Ecotech Vortech MP40WQD's
1 Ecotech Vectra S1 Return Pump
Trigger Systems Triton 26 Sump with 200 micron felt socks
Reef Octopus 152-S Internal Skimmer
Tunze Osmolater 3155 ATO
Bubble Magus 3 channel dosing pump
Apex Jr. with temperature probe and Fluid Monitoring System
BRS CO2 canister and CO2 removal media

IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

Biological Filtration:

120lbs of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand
100 lbs of CaribSea Shelf Rock
Brightwell Xport Bio Brick
Brightwell Xport NO3 Brick
Brightwell Microbacter 7
Brightwell Reef Biofuel

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

Custom Cabinetry made by my father (Thanks dad!) :)

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

I would like to thank all of the contributors who have made this display a possibility and who support increasing the sustainability of this hobby (and educating the public)!

Oceans Reefs and Aquariums
Ecotech Marine
CaribSea
Marineland
Brightwell Aquatics

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

Equipment and tank in place.

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

CaribSea shelf rock and Brightwell Xport Bricks were cycled for one month with Microbacter 7 prior to building the aquascape.

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

I went for a multi-tiered approach to try to prevent any shading due to coral growth in the future. It was my first time working with any shelf rock and I have to say I do like the way I was able to build a structure!

Well that is probably enough for everybody for now but I will be keeping this thread updated regularly with everything else that we did to get this system up and running (which has been since March this year so I have some catching up to do LOL :cool:). Id love to hear everybody's thoughts and comments and I cant wait to share with everyone the beauty of our 100% aquacultured reef aquarium!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my last trip over to ORA I was able to snag a few pictures from inside their packout facility that I felt everybody would enjoy...so here they are!

Corals that come from the Marshall Island Mariculture Farm (below) are brought in and cooked under metal halides until ready for sale.

ora cup.jpg

Yellow Scroll Coral

ora goni.jpg

Goniopora

ora hammer.jpg

Hammer Corals

ora acro.jpg

Assorted MIMF Acropora

Other corals grown in their greenhouse here at HBOI as well as their MIMF clams are colored up under LEDs before being shipped out.

ora zoa.jpg

ora acro 2.jpg

ora clam 3.jpg

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did! :D
Happy Saturday!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got around to tallying up the current livestock list for everybody!

Inverts:
50 Banded Trochus Snails
5 Peppermint Shrimp
50 Cerith Snails
5 Variegated Sea Urchins
1 MIMF Derasa Clam
1 MIMF Squamosa Clam

Fish:
2 ORA Regular Ocellaris Clownfish
1 ORA Midnight Clownfish
1 ORA Black Ocellaris Clownfish
1 ORA Wyoming White Clownfish
5 ORA Lemon Damsels
1 ORA Orchid Dottyback
1 ORA Springer's Dottyback
1 ORA Splendid Dottyback
1 ORA Electric Indigo Dottyback
1 Kamohara Blenny
2 Yellowline Gobies
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

Soft Coral:
ORA Orange Zoanthids
ORA Red Zoanthids
MIMF Zoanthids
ORA Grube's Gorgonian
ORA Pom Pom Xenia
MIMF Purple and Green Yuma
MIMF Rhodactis Mushroom

LPS:
ORA Easter Egg Chalice
ORA Sprungs' Stunner Chalice
MIMF Candy Cane Coral
MIMF Frogspawn Coral

Montipora:
MIMF Melonberry Montipora
MIMF Yellow Lantana Montipora
ORA German Blue Polyp Montipora
ORA Jeremy's Montipora
ORA Mind Trick Montipora
ORA Orange Digitata
ORA Orange Cap
ORAnge Setosa
ORA Blue Polyp Cap

Seriatopora:
ORA Green Birdsnest
ORA Pink Birdsnest
ORA Bird of Paradise

Stylophora:
ORA Green Stylophora
ORA Purple Stylophora
ORA Stellar Stylophora

I had not gotten any Acropora yet because I am waiting to make sure everything else is settled in and growing but I have the upper part of the rock structure dedicated to those corals (which will be my favorite :D ).

Here are a few pics of the unbagging!

snails.jpg

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my last visit to ORA I got to see some frags of the old classic, the ORA Oregon Tort! Super cool and the blue was so vibrant! I would love to have a frag of this for myself one of these days :cool:

ora tort 2.jpg

I don’t think ORA was the first to have the OBT, right? Wasn’t it Tyree or Becker, or some shop in Oregon?

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think ORA was the first to have the OBT, right? Wasn’t it Tyree or Becker, or some shop in Oregon?
You are correct. They were not the first to grow this coral, they did not receive it until 2004 and start selling it until 2008.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some pictures today and just wanted to share how things look! Still trying to figure out how to make the pictures look as true to life as possible but these are close! ;Snaphappy

clownfish.jpg

Our male ocellaris clownfish and the butt of the female

electric indigo dottyback.jpg

ORA Electric Indigo Dottyback saying hi

mind trick.jpg

ORA Mind Trick Montipora

pink birdsnest.jpg

ORA Pink Birdsnest

green stylo.jpg

ORA Green Stylophora

pavona.jpg

ORA Mint Pavona

Let me know what you think on the pictures or how the coral look! Enjoy! :)

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve and Becker were the first to mass produce frags I would say that they get the credit of releasing it making it available wide spread.
While I did know that this was not ORA's unique coral I did not know its origin so thank you both for providing that info, much appreciated! Always happy to learn something new!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is harbor branch open for tours? I live in SLC.
Our visitors center (where the aquariums are located) is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 4 PM and we offer free interpretive tours of all the research themed exhibits led by one of our outreach scientists. Every Wednesday morning from 10:30 AM to noon we offer golf cart tours of the campus (which is closed to the public) for $15 per person. We also offer special tours of our Exploration Command Center the second Thursday of every month which talks about a deep sea exploration collaboration with NOAA ($20 per person).

Check out our website for more information:

You should definitely make the trip to come visit HBOI, there is so much great work going on here!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've been wanting to go for some time now. I used to work off of Indrio road.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back