My 120 Gallon Reboot

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 120 gallon cheap from a member of the local marine aquarium club at the end of 2015. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I already had a 75 gallon up and running and wanted to just transfer everything over. The stand the tank was on needed a little TLC. I tried to just repaint it black, however I didn't care for the appearance so I decided to spruce it up a bit.

120 stand-before1.jpg

120 stand-before2.jpg

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So began the reworking of the stand. I realized after I had finished that I neglected to take pictures of my progress, I'm sorry to those who like more detail.

unstained-1.jpg

unstained-2.jpg

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My equipment list is as follows: Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump, 1 Ecotech MP40wes (plan to purchase another soon), 2 AI Vega Color, Reef Octopus XP1000 SSS, 2 Cobalt 200 watt Neotherm Heaters, and an Apex Neptune controller.

Home.jpg

Current.jpg

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invested in the Neptune Systems WAV starter kit. These power heads provide excellent flow. To keep the water from flying out I've had to dial them down a little. The magnet on them is also powerful and compact. I'm able to place them on the back with plenty of clearance from the wall.

image.jpeg

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work on the stand, love the footprint of 120's, which is why I have one too!

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5903.JPG
I finally got around to building a canopy. Also dismantled a Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 to supplement my LED's. Love the outcome. No more dark spots, the whole tank is lit up now. Now if I could only dial in everything else and get my sps to take off.

Oh and now my electrical side needs some attention. That has really got out of control. It's just spilling out the side of the stand. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5896.JPG
So I've started my mixing station. Built a shelf from wood my neighbor gave me and plywood that was taking up space in the garage. I bought 2-100 gallon Ace Roto-Mold containers from a local club member and now just need to move my rodi unit and install a pump.

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_5912.JPG
Looks like I'm going to have to wrap up this build thread and start a new one. I just aquired a 300 gallon AGE bowfront hybrid. This new tank is in pretty bad shape and needs a little tlc but I see a lot of potential.

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much going on with this tank lately. It has been in a holding pattern while I work on getting the 300 up and running. My hammer Cora and devils hand are doing well. I'm still working on my sps growing ability. I have a Walt Disney that is alive just doesn't seem to grow. Also a few other acros that seem to be alive just not growing. So I work on maintaining stability and see if in time they decide to take off.

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a change in living conditions. This new living condition has placed me in an apartment so The 300 build has been placed on hold. After much deliberation on what to do I ended up just setting the 120 back up. That said some equipment changes have been made. Due to Neptune WAV failure I have switched to Ecotech mp40's. I also decided to switch to 2 Orphek Atlantik V4 compacts. I also put in a Reef Synergy TS-26 with a 5 gallon ATO container.
IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg

OP
OP
dcraigj

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to update and try to regain my interest. I believe I lost interest because I'm not really happy with my living conditions and was hoping to change that. I'm still working on changing my living conditions but thought it's time to get some life back into my tank. So here it is now, been running a little over a year basically circulating water. My current stocking list is a Zebra Moray, a Scopas Tang, and 2 Gladiator Clowns. I also have a couple of Pincushion Urchins, assortment of snails, hermit crabs, and a Tiger tail Cucumber. As far as coral goes, I only have some Devil's Hand leather. I hope to change this because the tank looks sad without color.
FTS-3-5-20.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back