4 year old 120 Gallons mixed reef full of wrasse now with Radion G5 Blues

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700 with stand, it wasn't as good as my current butnlike everything I build is bullet proof
IMG_5442.JPG

Picked up a few things from brs, they are closer than any other reef store to me lol
Nice! I wish I was close to BRS!

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5461.JPG

He's in the back and an absolute monster, super male lineatus
Very nice fish! I remember that color the fins would reflect under the blues, such a pretty fish. [emoji106][emoji106]

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month almost has passed, struggling with some NH3, (0.25) and high nitrates (25ppm), I replaced all my carbon blocks wondering if chloramines could be the problem. I know the NH3 added by chloramines is tiny, but the impact on my bacteria is probably the cause of the nutrients. I had bad cyano and used chemiclean, this seemed to help but I always have this dino like coating on my sand which is ticking me off. I know its a "new tank" but its all the rock from my old tank along with more volume, i guess time will tell.

My "fish room "

Fish room by J Bolton, on Flickr

This was a mess and I need to downsize the crap in my life, so I started building a new area, directly under the tank.

Also working on a solid oak arm to hang my light from, I can't stand the tek legs anymore, it makes it to hard to work on the tank, plus its too close to the water and the salt creep is annoying me,

Untitled by J Bolton, on Flickr

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new kole tang was dead this am, not sure why as I have had I'm in QT for 4 weeks no sign of disease.

Hung my light and got rid of those brackets, I am happy to have it higher and access the tank from the sides

Crappy FTS

I need to start using my DLSR more and shooting raw... So much to do so little time.. .

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new kole tang was dead this am, not sure why as I have had I'm in QT for 4 weeks no sign of disease.

Hung my light and got rid of those brackets, I am happy to have it higher and access the tank from the sides

Crappy FTS

I need to start using my DLSR more and shooting raw... So much to do so little time.. .

Tank looks great! I wonder if your yellow tang was aggressive towards your kole tang?

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks, I need to get better with f stops and ISO balance I think, picture seems very grainy

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ur shots man
The only thing would be to like blur out the background so it draws more attention to the acans or the fish but overall I think it killimg it

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, my nitrates have been steady at 25ppm, despite decreased feeding and increased water changes. I am starting to think my live rock isn't enough to handle the bio load so I ordered a marine pure 8x8x4 block.

Despite all my Qt procedures my katherine wrasse has signs of Ich. I don't think I am going to remove the fish and just focus on stability and my parameters, all those wrasse and delicate leopards; I think the added stress of going fallow along with the cost of setting up a 100 gal qt makes it not a viable option currently.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After one day, my bio bloom went away, my nitrates are closer to 10 than 25 (saliferts). Must say I'm impressed so far with the marine pure, the ich has dissapeeared and my Katherine's is doing well. I know it's not cured but the stress of qt all my fish isn't worht it currently.

lambchops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Read through all the pages and just realized you're from Minnesota.

Did you drill the tank yourself? I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing.

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After one day, my bio bloom went away, my nitrates are closer to 10 than 25 (saliferts). Must say I'm impressed so far with the marine pure, the ich has dissapeeared and my Katherine's is doing well. I know it's not cured but the stress of qt all my fish isn't worht it currently.
After one day of what? Did you dose something that worked well? Do you diatoms? Your tank looks great, I too have a 120 and looking to rid my tank of diatoms.

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Read through all the pages and just realized you're from Minnesota.

Did you drill the tank yourself? I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing.

Yes I drilled it my self, seemed like it took for ever I recommend doing it, and yes I am in Minnesota (not from lol)

After one day of what? Did you dose something that worked well? Do you diatoms? Your tank looks great, I too have a 120 and looking to rid my tank of diatoms.

The marine pure block helped get the bio bloom to go away, but after two weeks, I have not seen a decrease in nitrates (Still at 25 ppm via salifert)

As stated, still battling nitrates, maybe my tank is over stocked, but the diatoms seemed to be receding and now I only have a green diatom on the sand. Got some brown jelly on the large Acan, I need to cut it back which sucks cause it was a monster colony grown from a frag!

OP
OP
J

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traded a frag of Garf bonsai and red planet for a blue stag horn. Thinking of redoing the right island and making it have room for more sps; also fragged up my giant red acan, I started loosing it to STN, almost half the colony was gone before I broke down and chopped her up.

Back