120 To 350G transformation advice

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

looking for some advice I currently have a 120 tank going to a 350 the reason I’m doing this now is because I’m replacing my carpet with hardwood. I really want a 8f x 3 x 2 but debating 8x2x2…

anyways, I have a well established tank lots of SPS large anemones and a lot of LPS. I have 15 different fish. I’ve been doing this for over 20 years just never had to do a move.

my thought was to move everything into a bucket get the floors done the next day move the tank in but I feel that’s going to be rushing way too much. Plus there are some things on my rock that I don’t want to carry over.

what is anybody’s advice I’m assuming I would lose corals during this transformation do I sell off most of my corals and restart? do I take down my tank and try to move the tank into a different location put it back up and then get the new tank in? or do I just go around the tank and redo the floors once I move but I would love a bigger tank :)

here’s a YouTube video a few weeks ago from a Tank:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

looking for some advice I currently have a 120 tank going to a 350 the reason I’m doing this now is because I’m replacing my carpet with hardwood. I really want a 8f x 3 x 2 but debating 8x2x2…

anyways, I have a well established tank lots of SPS large anemones and a lot of LPS. I have 15 different fish. I’ve been doing this for over 20 years just never had to do a move.

my thought was to move everything into a bucket get the floors done the next day move the tank in but I feel that’s going to be rushing way too much. Plus there are some things on my rock that I don’t want to carry over.

what is anybody’s advice I’m assuming I would lose corals during this transformation do I sell off most of my corals and restart? do I take down my tank and try to move the tank into a different location put it back up and then get the new tank in? or do I just go around the tank and redo the floors once I move but I would love a bigger tank :)
here’s a YouTube video a few weeks ago from a Tank:

I have a 29 month old 120.
I am planning an up grade of 72x36x22.
Should have went bigger to begin with but comming from a 18" cubed nano the 120 looked big.

They fill in so fast.Go 36" you wont regret it.

I need to do the floor like you from carpet to flooring.
I do not want to use the current rock for similar reasons.
My frag tank is to small for my stags and a few others I want to keep but I will frag as much as I can fit.
I am going to setup a 40/40 breeder sump and then frag what I want to keep.
It will take some time but for me I want to keep all 6 different stags I have. Plus I will have another frag system.
The tank is going to be peninsula and close to where the 120 is.
Not sure what I will do with the 120.
The lighting, carx, skimmer, media reactor, and maybe the remote fuge will all be used on the upgrade.

Make sure you do a build thread so we can follow the upgrade.
Good luck cant wait to see it.

Note: If I would have turned my 120 and made a peninsula I would probably not be looking at an upgrade except the extra room will be welcome, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 month old 120.
I am planning an up grade of 72x36x22.
Should have went bigger to begin with but comming from a 18" cubed nano the 120 looked big.

They fill in so fast.Go 36" you wont regret it.

I need to do the floor like you from carpet to flooring.
I do not want to use the current rock for similar reasons.
My frag tank is to small for my stags and a few others I want to keep but I will frag as much as I can fit.
I am going to setup a 40/40 breeder sump and then frag what I want to keep.
It will take some time but for me I want to keep all 6 different stags I have. Plus I will ha e another frag system.
The tank is going to be peninsula and close to where the 120 is.
Not sure what I will do with the 120.
The lighting, carx, skimmer, media reactor, and maybe the remote fuge will all be used on the upgrade.

Make sure you do a build thread so we can follow the upgrade.
Good luck cant wait to see it.

Note: If I would have turned my 120 and made a peninsula I would probably not be looking at an upgrade except the extra room will be welcome, lol.
Good stuff man, we’re in simulator positions ha… I don’t have a frag tank up and running. I also want that 36” depth .

i really want to keep my fish, most my corals I could sell off and restart . Maybe I’ll keep an eye out on a tank online and set up in Basment but the basemen gets cold now I’m in Michigan .

I really don’t know what to do..

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff man, we’re in simulator positions ha… I don’t have a frag tank up and running. I also want that 36” depth .

i really want to keep my fish, most my corals I could sell off and restart . Maybe I’ll keep an eye out on a tank online and set up in Basment but the basemen gets cold now I’m in Michigan .

I really don’t know what to do..
Maybe breakdown the 120 and put it in the basement.
You could keep the rock and fish easily I think keeping them in buckets for a day until its setup.

I also want to keep my fish.
I may have to do similar but the garage is the only place for the 120 to go.
It wont fit in the frag/snake room.
Its ok in the winter as I can use extra heaters. But in the summer it 100°+ for 5 months. I do have a couple chillers I could use though.

How old is your system.
Its looks awesome by the way.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll prob sell most my corals, then break down. Move the tank , wash sand , move fish and rocks to old tank in basement. It’s going to take 12 weeks to get the new tank from fish tank direct.

and thanks! The old tank is 3yrs old it turned out great, that’s why I don’t wanna move this ha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back