120cm journal, my return to the hobby...

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coseal it sounds like you have some good ideas brewing in your head. Can’t wait to see what you come up with ! I love my Synergy Reef 16in Ghost Overflow on my 75g /120cm tank !

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the room painted! lol so back to the tank... spent the past week doing a quick reno of the room the tank is going in. wanted to get a fresh coat of paint in there before i set the tank up. finished up the overflow set up. i ended up shrinking the width of the inner box a tad and brought the "teeth" a little closer together to get a couple more in there.

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

rear box houses two 1" bulkheads out the bottom. going to incorporate a "herbie" drain system. i havnt decided if i want to do lids or not? i have seen some complaints about salt creep due to the lids? so if i make some lids ill probably incorporate some kind of o-ring or gasket to prevent that..

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't given up! progress came to a crawl past couple weeks... im on v.8 of my sump design lol.

pics! got the top and bottom of the stand cut.

i looked at the two sumps made for the rollermat from elite and trigger systems. while i like some of the features from both examples, i have this vision of how i want underneath my stand to look. i ended up going with a design similar to the trigger. if this thing(rollermat) turns out to be a turd i can always make a refugium or something and bolt it to the side of my sump. sumps not done yet but i felt like posting so here is progress.... lol

the front is going to have a smoked face. the rest of it will be black! i have never messed with this type of "smoked" acrylic so i stuck this sample together to see how it would glue. was scared i would get some "blushing" but the joint came out great and no haze around the seam. im going to incorporate all the features found on modern sumps into this one. so its going to take a bit more time to get it finished. really trying to plan the system out so it stays neat and tidy...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base looks crisp, no tearout you must have good saw, are you going to seal around the 8020 or clearcoat the plywood? Bar epoxy is nice @Greybeard did his stand not sure how it holds up to salt.
Waiting to see what you come up with on the sump with rollermat

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to spray some poly on the plywood. but the weathers been so jacked up here lately... haven't been able to catch a decent window to apply the finish..

the rollermat sump has been a kick in the balls... lol, multiple templates to get the holes straight "measure twice, cut once" went right out the window. and just when i get the holes straight, i realize the side of the rollermat has an ever so slight angle to it. its polycarbonate so its tough enough to flex a little......hope it dont leak! ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the sump finished up this weekend! mixed a few different materials to come out with something i liked... put an abs top on it for durability, a smoked front panel to hide the mess but still somewhat see inside, dayglow acrylic adjustable skimmer wall and rollermat bypass (keeping it edgy! lol) and some polycarbonate lids to keep the evap and noise down.

only took a few build pics... forgot all about em really:(

built in some o-rings into the top. i didnt really have alot of room to work with in this chamber so bulkheads were out. made the openings almost the same size as a 1" sch 40 pvc pipe, between the snug fit and the o-rings i doubt ill have any issues. also added some dosing line holders... may try ati essentials or something like that down the road.

top shot of the sump. put in some features here for cords, piping and such..

skimmer cut-out.

merged together..

lid detail. love the flushmount!

w/ skimmer installed.

next up is the plumbing and electrical! waiting on a couple items to start on that...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Man has skills and the means!.... No BS @coseal that is one of the smartest sumps on the site. I can see the need for smoked materials on an open cabinet, a led or 2 might wake things up when needed.
BTW what are you using to machine the acrylic/abs. the cuts look like glass, CNC Laser?

OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks siggy! Yes cnc laser and router were used. I like makin stuff... so basement workshop is kitted out decently..

Terry DeMott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it is a good thing you didn't go with trigger sump for the roller pad. here is why BRS is helping me to try to fix the problem there is a lot of stress on the roller mat also I have the stand under the roller mat and still no help
100_0297.JPG
100_0295.JPG

in the pic.
100_0296.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
coseal

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. i know that the rollermat has a very slight angle on the side of the case. its a touch wider at the top than the bottom. it almost looks as if the pop out on the side of the case at the top is resting on the top of the sump? my skimmer runs best at 6-7" of water so i kind of designed the sump around that. i was able to build it so the rollermat did not need a stand. and i was able to keep a small gap between the top of my sump and that bump out for the axles for the roll's.

i wonder if its a combination of that part of the rollermat "resting" on the top of your sump and the angle on the side of the unit itself? i see you have it up and running now so it might be hard to see, but was the stand angled as well? or was it flat? did the holes in the sump for the rollermat bulkheads have any "wiggle" room to them? or were they exact? if they have some "wiggle" room you might try shimming the stand to move the rollermat up a little to see if it will straighten up with the bump out off the top of your sump. are you having any issues with it the way it is? bummer your not happy with it:(

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got all the holes fixed! and had some time to assemble the frame tonight! assembly was fairly straight forward.. keep in mind where your "pre" assembly hardware will go and insert them as needed. the stand is 32" tall, i basically took a tape measure and measured from my armpit to the floor. subtracted the tank height of 24" and that was my max stand height! lol

pic of frame!

tapped the extrusions for these groovy lil studs!

added some polymounts and bam.. level the stand with ease!

bought these endcaps to finish it off. couldnt decide if i wanted gray to blend in. or black to match the feet. thinking black...

these are the "pre" assembly nuts i referenced earlier. you can buy "post" assembly hardware for these extrusions but the price jumps way up! so plan ahead and save some cash.

there is roughly 29" of interior height. plenty of room for what im working with skimmer wise!

going to use some birch plywood for the top,bottom and back. need to get that routed out and a coat or two of poly applied. be a few days on that im thinking....
following this very interesting build.

Back