120g Craigslist tank restoration

39BAEAEE-1B5D-4371-863E-C30089C93039.jpeg
1A3EC972-06AA-43F9-AAEA-B5E1EDA720B9.jpeg
Finally, I found a 120g for a used price $200.
She’s the ugliest most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on. I’m going to strip the two overflows, add a ghost overflow and oh so much more to get this one wet again. I decided to put my money towards reputable equipment, instead of the glass box. (Good timing considering frameless tanks are losing fashion, dang you Red Sea.)
My previous tank was a cadlight 60g and just a frameless beauty. That tank grew coral but limped by with basic equipment. (Lighting,Powerheads, manually dosing) Time to flourish and establish a low maintenance 120g for this reefer.

Today’s 120g specs!

Filtration

-6 stage RODI by Brs
-Skimmer Q3 DC by aquamaxx
-Avast marine spyglass reactor
-2 gallons of marine pure bio spheres
-bio pellets by ecobak
-Distilled Vinegar 30ml/day
-2 marine pure plates
-1 marine pure block
-1 xport Brick seeded with mb7 by brightwell
-1 liter of matrix by seachem
-aquascape made of pukani,staxx,fiji,caribsea
-Brs black media reactor
-Rox.8 Carbon daily
-Gfo by kolar labs

Supplements
- Alk,Ca,mag by ESV dosed hourly by KamoerRemote F4pro
-Fuel by seachem 20ml/daily

Equipment
-2 Hydra 32s by AI
-2 XF 350s by maxpect
-1 Return pump DCP15000 by Jebao

Plumbing
-1 modular marine overflow Bean animal with 1 1/4” drains
-2 returns 1 1/2 inches
-1 manifold powering 3 reactors and main return

Fish food
- Nori, LRS herbivoreLRS fish frenzy,krill,mysis,squid,brine shrimp,golden pearls,cyclops,calanus

Previous filtration methods no longer in use
-diy algae scrubber
-Gfo by rowaphos when needed
-co2 scrubber
-filter floss
-skimmer sn-143qp by skimZ
-High capacity GFO by BRS
-AF1 by aquamaxx
-nopox by Red Sea

Stocking list
-Hippo Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Tomini Tang
-Blunthead Wrasse
-Puddingwife Wrasse
-Canary Blenny
-Twinspot blenny
-Royal Gramma
-Mono
-Lyretail Anthias
-Blue Chromis
-Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
-Lamarck Angel
-Melanurus wrasse
margarita,trochus,Nass,Cerith
-Pencil & Pincushion Urchin

Here is how it looks now! 8/2022
1661261867264.jpeg

Dual LowBoy Frag Build starts here pg. 34-

DIY stand- https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-stand-first-timer.681397/

Previous build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/setting-up-new-60g-cube.335836/

Last edited:
OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I installed the Kamoer F4 doser. I feel very happy to have it. Special thank you to my wife for this lovely anniversary present.
9F3092F4-2900-4BBE-BA0A-EA7E969F7688.jpeg

I went ahead and installed the bulkheads for the dosing containers I ordered from target
AB8DCCF4-88E7-4C4C-89D5-3B2BDE9900B7.jpeg

I really like the feel of the connections. I just wish the soft tubing provided, would have O.D. of 1/4 inch, same as RO tubing. The connections to the pump heads are nice and snug with these clamp rings seen often paired with float switch valves.
5975C006-7C45-4EA2-AF10-8214B3AD0769.jpeg

I went ahead and calibrated the two pumps in use and then gave it a quick double check. I set the pump to manually pump out 2ml to double check calibration and accuracy was dead on. It was pretty fun pressing the manual dose button, maybe too much fun.
8EBAD60F-5499-465B-8B81-C21E0372D58A.jpeg

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks ago I broke down my 60g cube. I transferred all rock and live stock (minus the coral) to the 120g upgrade.
I added about 60 lbs of dry rock. I am not sure when I should add coral to the new tank. I am not in any rush because the coral are in a 10g
AC680139-8244-49B0-86FE-3A02BB81E2D4.jpeg
and the simplicity of that tank is something I could get used to. But I worry for my more docile fish that were separated from those corals. Many used them for shelter throughout the day.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the TSM order?
I bought a purple tang and a hippo tang. for almost five weeks everyone was okay and then my hippo tang started flashing. I did a FW dip in a black container and saw no parasites. The next day the hippo would not eat then that night he died. the next day my purple tang looked shiny like his skin coat had frosted over. He ate but still died that night along with my 2 year old kole tang. I have never seen a fish eating during the day then die over night.
I used to be a big believer in ich management through a quality diet and clean water. I fed them 5-8 times a day. They died fat. I don’t think you can manage velvet. Took 5 weeks to breed and kill my tankmates, so im going back to quarantining everything wet.

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw man that sucks, you think the TSM fish brought it in?

i lost a fish to velvet awhile back. that stuff sucks. it kinda did the same thing, didn't eat, acted weird, then dead. luckily it was still in an observation tank

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw man that sucks, you think the TSM fish brought it in?

i lost a fish to velvet awhile back. that stuff sucks. it kinda did the same thing, didn't eat, acted weird, then dead. luckily it was still in an observation tank
I really can’t say it was Tsm. Just a week or two before my TSM order, I bought a pair of clowns and some snails from my lfs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel dumb for throwing those fish in my display when I know how and have successfully quarantined using prophylactic treatments. I just wanted to try the management route and it worked till it didn’t. Not worth the gamble but I value the lesson more now

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure its too late, why not use the bottom holes for a closed loop? Would help you get some great flow in the typ hard to get to dead spots

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure its too late, why not use the bottom holes for a closed loop? Would help you get some great flow in the typ hard to get to dead spots
Mainly for that wide open look. I wanted as much open space I could get my hands on.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had cyano for a few weeks and added microbacter 7 with FaStart-m and after almost two weeks the cyano was gone.
I added some hammers and gsp. At first the corals suffered but when the cyano cleared the corals really started to bloom. Live rock is coloring up nicely and the fish are getting along I call these days “another great day in the reef”
520DCC8D-6B73-4872-981F-816EC46DD2E1.jpeg

I took the skimmer off line and let my algae scrubber take the load for about 2 weeks now.
Phos is at .04
alkalinity is 8.4 with 12ml a day of esv 2 part

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had cyano for a few weeks and added microbacter 7 with FaStart-m and after almost two weeks the cyano was gone.
I added some hammers and gsp. At first the corals suffered but when the cyano cleared the corals really started to bloom. Live rock is coloring up nicely and the fish are getting along I call these days “another great day in the reef”
520DCC8D-6B73-4872-981F-816EC46DD2E1.jpeg

I took the skimmer off line and let my algae scrubber take the load for about 2 weeks now.
Phos is at .04
alkalinity is 8.4 with 12ml a day of esv 2 part
Looks great!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back