OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to leave the tank for 2 weeks for the holidays - :( Now need to get lights figured out and powerheads. Thinking a 2nd Noopsyche K7 Pro II and two Nero 5 powerheads.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on establishing a baseline of parameters
Temp is 78.8 (measured by Inkbird)
PH is 8.0 (API test kit)
ALK is 8.0 (Salifert kit)
Calcium 450 (Salifert kit)

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
It looks like I have joined the club...I think I have Dinoflagellates.
My tank is 120g, that I setup in Nov 2020, and it cycled in Jan 2021 (4 months ago). The tank as 4 fish (two clowns, one blenny and one Coral Beauty) and 4 coral frags (GPS, Chalice, Candy Cane, Monti S). The tank was started with dry rock. In February the LED lights (Noopsyche K7 Pro) we setup on their LSP/SPS settings. The filtration is primarily a skimmer in the sump. My LFS had advised me to dose Seachem Stability for three months after the tank cycling, so that stopped 2.5 weeks ago.
Approximately a week ago, I noticed an area 3" round of what I believe is Dinos on the rocks on the other side of the tank from the powerhead(brown stringy algea looking with bubbles that grows during the lighted period, and seems to shrink back over night). The area has grown about an inch in the last week. I added more movement in the tank with a IceCap Gyre 4K on the opposite end of the tank, and a Aqueon power head at the end nearest the dinos.
My tank have been running with Nitrates 0.0 and Phosphates 0.0. Calcium 460-480. Magnesium 1360. My testing is using Hanna UL Phosphate, rest is Salifert. (my testing confirmed by LFS every 2 weeks) My LFS has advised me to feed the fish more and more often to raise the phosphates. Nitrates are still 0. Phosphates have jumped from 0 on March 15, .20 on March 25, .42 on March 30 and today .31. LFS also recommended dosing Red Sea AB+ which started 3/28.
Having read maybe 100-150 posts and multiple threads on this site concerning Dinos, I am planning to start dosing Microbactor 7 or Vibrant (have both on hand) and dosing ESV B-Ionic Nitrate (picking up tomorrow).
Will be changing the tank to only blue light and less hours starting with tomorrows cycle.

What am I missing?

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Dino battle continues..I am slowly getting my Nitrates and Phosphate numbers up - Nitrates tested as 3 last night using Nyos test. Phosphate tested .08 using Hanna. I am dosing DinoX every other night. ALK was 8.7 so dosed aiming to raise to 10. Calc is staying very high 490-480 and not moving. PH is right at 8. Trying to move this up a little per LFS recommendation and might start Kalkwasser in ATO soon.

The corals are not growing and if anything seem to be shrinking. Trumpet, Torch and Zoa frags.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...apparently it was not dinos and in fact is Cyano. And the Lemon Peel Angelfish has been returned to the LFS...AFTER it ate my Candy Cane, Duncan and Zoa frag!!!

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half tank.jpg

Half the tank is "scaped" with broken and then glued Marco rock. The other side of the tank is next. GlueMaster thin glue and baking soda mixed with rock dust is working great.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters - Temp 77.9, Salinity - 1.023, ALK 9.7 (Salifert), Nitrate 15 (Salifert), Calcium 465 (Salifert), Phosphates .09 (Hanna)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it up!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a Tuxedo Urchin. Find mine at Petco. Mines is about 2"w x 1"h. I had gotten one before this one from Algae barrn...it was the size of a nickel.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were away for a few days, so I put an Ehiem autofeeder on the tank (sorry fishes...just pellets for a few days). I have a arduino monitor setup to send me the temp, PH and water levels every hour with a leak alarm. Two Wyse cameras allow me to view the system.
When I got back home I found two surprises - the skimmer had not done much (a snail had crawled into the skimmer pump opening) and on the last day, the ATO float valve was stuck closed, so the water level was low in the sump. I really like my RODI running 10 minutes a day to fill the ATO tank and then gravity keeps the sump level correct. I have replaced the float value once already. I wish there were multiple brands to try.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I didn't screw up...I glued most of the frags to the aquascape this weekend. I have one Favia to find a location and two mushrooms that I will be gluing.
My PH has been holding at 8.0 for months. I experimented with a tube from the skimmer to a window for fresh air. The pH moved up to 8.3 in 4 days....so soon I will be running a tube up the wall into the attic as a long term solution.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was away from the tank for a week...the ATO and automatic feeder worked well.
The ALK dropped too much 9.5 before I left, 8.5 when I got back. SOOOO, I think it might be time to research a dosing pump and see what BRS or Black Friday sales bring. Two of the frags I had glued didn't work - I found them upside down in the sand - AGGGHHH.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I did not mess up...a new to me LFS had some sale black friday Neon Birdnest coral, so I bought my first SPS. The frag as two white tips - should I cut them or not traumatize the coral any more, than acclimate and dip?

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two new fish - an Exquisite Wrasse and a McCosker's Wrasse. The Exquisite joined the tank with no issues. The McCosker's wrasse just does not seem to like it. When added to the tank, he hid. He was chased by several tank mates and they nipped his fins. So the past 5 days he has been in the penalty box. He is lazy, and often is found sleeping on the sand. He is eating. I am going to dip him in Methylene Blue (per HumbleFish recommendations). Hopefully on Monday we shall see how he does again in the main tank with some minor rock work moved around to maybe force some territory changes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back