OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have You considered some peppermint shrimp they are sometimes available at BPK in Dubai, or Matted Filefish my friend Adnan had a great success with it
Nowadays peppermint shrimp are not that frequently available. And when they do, they are sold in a second.
This product will do for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X reduced the first anemones that were a direct tread to corals for now.
Next week I will do another cleaning session to reduce the numbers some more.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X reduced the first anemones that were a direct tread to corals for now.
Just keep doing it for a while and they will soon disappear. It’s a bit daunting when you first start with large numbers, but just do it every so often and you will win eventually.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci,
If it turns into an outbreak, can you get a flock of Berghia Nudibranchs?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep doing it for a while and they will soon disappear. It’s a bit daunting when you first start with large numbers, but just do it every so often and you will win eventually.

I wanted to continue cleaning them up for a while but my arm was not letting me...
I went fishing last week and slipped on some rocks on the breakwater. When reaching out with my arm, it got bruised against the rocks with some skin damaged as expected.
Touching salt water is not a pleasant feeling at the moment so next week will be better I hope.

Janci,
If it turns into an outbreak, can you get a flock of Berghia Nudibranchs?

I understood that they are a good way to get rid of aiptasia, but I never saw a berghia nudibranch in UAE actually.
And I am afraid that those creature would only end up as a generous feast for the wrasses.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am afraid that those creature would only end up as a generous feast for the wrasses.
Yeah,
The wrasses would need to be re-homed for awhile.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving the tank again for a small week to visit Fort Lauderdale.
My wife arranged to be on the flight she is operating on so we are heading to South Florida. This as a birthday gift.
We hope to be able to do some diving and I hope to visit a couple of lfs at the end. Maybe get to bring a little coral, but for sure searching for a Milwaukee digital refractometer.
Unfortunately there will not be enough time to get to Orlando... and maybe better
... to keep the expenses controlled.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO water tank prepared, auto feeding installed, new filter socks, skimmer cleaned, new carbon, water tests done.
I think it is time for holidays.

Just to be sure, I also installed a webcam.
To monitor the tank till algae take over the glass.
[emoji12]
e0948a6944b637e495c3eab4dc625ec3.jpg
3fb4eda3c01c46c2c035db841ca6f987.jpg
8ef411f840ed8ec97c41df611642dc59.jpg

What kind of feeder is that in the second pic?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of feeder is that in the second pic?
That is the Grässlin Rondomatic.
It has 28 small buckets that you fill each with food(flakes, pellets,...) and you choose to have it dumped once or several times a day.
I use this one constantly, not only during holidays, as I can select perfectly how much food is given each time.
The downside is that with 28 buckets and 2 feedings a day you are limited to 14 days of auto feeding.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the small holiday and found the tank not very happy.
Before I left I found ALK to be a little high (9-ish) so I dialled down the CaRX a little. When measuring now, ALK was even higher and around 10 dKH. Some corals have burned tips and looking pale.
With the low nutrients, this is too high so dialled down the CaRX even more.
I hope it stabilizes quickly again around 8 and I believe I will start running alkalinity around 7.5 dKH as from now. Before it was 8.5 and that was too high. I had better growth with lower numbers.

While I was at it, I also tested NO3 and found it around 2ppm. As I had stopped dosing nitrates, I was surprised to see the number as before it was always going down to zero in about a day.
I believe it has to do with leaving out big water changes and running the AWC system now.
There is still some gravel left on the bottom and when I stir in it, a lot of dirt starts floating around.
I will do a 10% water change this week to clean it up a little and see what NO3 does with that.

From Fort Lauderdale I brought some zoas and something what I believe to be a cyphastrea (although sold as a montipora).
Pictures to follow when doing the water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back