Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some more

2019-01-16_08-35-53.jpg

2019-01-16_08-35-40.jpg

2019-01-16_08-36-31.jpg

2019-01-16_08-38-11.jpg

Plus post above, everything looks really happy an healthy! :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or do these pictures seem a little dark... with no enough light?
They seemed pretty clear at first but looking at them now, there seems to be something off.

That last batch in post 759 seemed darker. Like the camera was not getting enough light.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last batch in post 759 seemed darker. Like the camera was not getting enough light.

I thought so.
Exposure seems to be off.
After adjusting in LR it seemed bright, till seeying them now here in the thread where they are darker.
Tweaking the setting s of the ca.era now for the next photoshoot.

Little dark but still nice and sharp. Is the second one red devil?

Most of the corals in the tank are wild Indos from the LFS that coloured up after they got in the tank.
I will try to get a better picture of it in good lighting, but I would doubt it is a real Red Devil.
Maybe just a variant.
Some people here around said it is a Tierra Del Fuego, but also that I doubt.

Really loving your pictures! (And acros)

Thank you!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And during last photo session I realized there is again growth to be observed.
2019-01-16_08-36-51.jpg

2019-01-16_08-36-11.jpg

2019-01-16_08-36-26.jpg
Janci,

That's WONDERFUL!! Nice Growth (Tips) happening here.

I actually have been discussion my LACK of Growth tips with some folks. Specifically on my Higher Placed Acros.
Although my 1 year old Tank is still young, and my Frags even Younger....I do see SLOW growth in my SPS, but NO strongly noticeable GROWTH TIPs on my ACROS.
I'm not overly concerned since health/color/growth is fine, but MY THEORY is my Lighting in on the LOW Side (Intensity/PhotoPeriod).

What kind of PARS do you have? And what is your Peak Intensity PhotoPeriod?

My T5 Setup barely gives me 350 at the Top of my Rocks, and around 200-250 at the Bottom of my Tank. If I measure my Pars just at the Surface I get 500, but that's much higher than where Corals are.
I did take my PAR meter over to my SPS Frag Supplier and he is also T5 Setup and he pushes around 450-500 Par at Top Coral Level. 1000+ Par at Top of tank.

I rather be on the Low Side and take my time, VS going to high an burning my SPS.

I did a review of my PhotoPeriod/Ramp UP schedule and since I have Dimmable T5's I noticed I spend a lot of time Dimming my T5's UP and Down.
So this means my Peak PhotoPeriod is kind of Low (5-6-7 hours depending on which Bank of T5 go on)....and this is something I'll work to bring up very VERY SLOWLY (with close observation).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci,

That's WONDERFUL!! Nice Growth (Tips) happening here.

I actually have been discussion my LACK of Growth tips with some folks. Specifically on my Higher Placed Acros.
Although my 1 year old Tank is still young, and my Frags even Younger....I do see SLOW growth in my SPS, but NO strongly noticeable GROWTH TIPs on my ACROS.
I'm not overly concerned since health/color/growth is fine, but MY THEORY is my Lighting in on the LOW Side (Intensity/PhotoPeriod).

What kind of PARS do you have? And what is your Peak Intensity PhotoPeriod?

My T5 Setup barely gives me 350 at the Top of my Rocks, and around 200-250 at the Bottom of my Tank. If I measure my Pars just at the Surface I get 500, but that's much higher than where Corals are.
I did take my PAR meter over to my SPS Frag Supplier and he is also T5 Setup and he pushes around 450-500 Par at Top Coral Level. 1000+ Par at Top of tank.

I rather be on the Low Side and take my time, VS going to high an burning my SPS.

I did a review of my PhotoPeriod/Ramp UP schedule and since I have Dimmable T5's I noticed I spend a lot of time Dimming my T5's UP and Down.
So this means my Peak PhotoPeriod is kind of Low (5-6-7 hours depending on which Bank of T5 go on)....and this is something I'll work to bring up very VERY SLOWLY (with close observation).

My PAR meter is with another reefer for the moment and I did some tweaking in the meanwhile.
But since last measurement, I had around 320 just under the waterline, about 200 mid way and less then 100 at the bottom.
Most corals feel fine with 200-ish PAR.

As soon as the meter is back, I'll make some more detailed measurements.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little dark but still nice and sharp. Is the second one red devil?
Tried to take a better picture of that coral you mentioned.

How do you prepare the lights and camera to take the photos as you do?
It is hard to make them pop. although they do to the naked eye.

46761208242_fd9ec44efe_k.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to cross to the other glass without touching silicone... just stretch!!!

Cowries do not like silicone.

32937911908_7213910439_k.jpg

46813701451_8b3b69ec92_k.jpg

46813700421_b521008098_k.jpg

31872153417_b164e18820_k.jpg

45898617115_0f16b90b3c_k.jpg
Thats a pretty cool set of pics.

Tried to take a better picture of that coral you mentioned.

How do you prepare the lights and camera to take the photos as you do?
It is hard to make them pop. although they do to the naked eye.

46761208242_fd9ec44efe_k.jpg
To me it looks like the Red devil nasuta. You should look up the pic TSA has of it and see if it looks like it to you.

When I take pics under my t5’s I don’t do anything but I have blue led reef bars that help make things pop. On the tanks with the radions I find it difficult to find a good setting. Most days when I take pics under them I want to rip them off and throw them in the garbage, lol. I’m constantly messing around with different settings to make it look accurate. I bought a WB grey card to see if it helps and it seemed to help me take more accurate pics.

Your corals look great and seem to “pop” to me so I wouldn’t do anything. What settings are you using on the radions to take pics?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!

Thank you

Nice tank! Are you still using the Grasslin autofeeder? How is it treating you...asking because it looks like an ideal autofeeds for mixing pellet sizes and coral foods on a specific day schedule.

Thank you.
Yes, I still use the Grasslin auto feeder on daily basis.
I very much like it. Due to my working hours, I am only at home at night so this feeder is taking care of the fish during daytime.
It is set up for 2 feedings a day and I replenish it every week. As it has a mechanical timer, it is also a good way to check every week if timings are not too much off.
For pellets and other dry food, this is one of the best feeders out there.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty cool set of pics.

To me it looks like the Red devil nasuta. You should look up the pic TSA has of it and see if it looks like it to you.

When I take pics under my t5’s I don’t do anything but I have blue led reef bars that help make things pop. On the tanks with the radions I find it difficult to find a good setting. Most days when I take pics under them I want to rip them off and throw them in the garbage, lol. I’m constantly messing around with different settings to make it look accurate. I bought a WB grey card to see if it helps and it seemed to help me take more accurate pics.

Your corals look great and seem to “pop” to me so I wouldn’t do anything. What settings are you using on the radions to take pics?

Looked up the TSA RD Nasuta and there are some similarities. You might be on to something. Let's see how this evolved in the coming weeks.
The coral has been pale for the last month and only now is back showing some of its colours.
If it turns out to be so, there will be a Wild Red Devil in the tank.

For taking photos I do not change my Radion settings actually. I look at the tank, find it pretty white already and start shooting.
This worked well in the past, but lately something is off.
I suspect the newly added T5 Blue bulbs to make it a bit extra hard to make the right adjustments in Lightroom.

I suspect your coral photos are cropped from a much bigger photo and you do not use a macro lens?
That would make sense to have the complete coral in focus, instead of only the tip or base.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago I lost the SSC colony and had to remove it completely.
I tried to frag the pieces that were still alive in that time, but unfortunately none of them made it.

When the coral was healthy, I fragged some pieces, let them encrust well and gave 3 frags to other reefers. I gave them away as the reefers wanted a SSC and I got a back up in case something went wrong.
By now, all 3 frags were also killed or even sold :)mad:) so I am reviewing my back up planning as from now.

After removing the dead skeleton, the base was left on the rock. There was barely some coral still alive at one point.
But today, we got this:

46761201122_df6faa52f9_k.jpg

46813733191_a5f3256777_k.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked up the TSA RD Nasuta and there are some similarities. You might be on to something. Let's see how this evolved in the coming weeks.
The coral has been pale for the last month and only now is back showing some of its colours.
If it turns out to be so, there will be a Wild Red Devil in the tank.

For taking photos I do not change my Radion settings actually. I look at the tank, find it pretty white already and start shooting.
This worked well in the past, but lately something is off.
I suspect the newly added T5 Blue bulbs to make it a bit extra hard to make the right adjustments in Lightroom.

I suspect your coral photos are cropped from a much bigger photo and you do not use a macro lens?
That would make sense to have the complete coral in focus, instead of only the tip or base.
I mainly use two lens, a 60mm macro and a 55 - 200mm zoom lens. I do still need to crop the pics or there is a lot of the pic showing background. I just bought a 90mm macro that should be here Wednesday so I’m interested to see how that works.

What lens are you using?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago I lost the SSC colony and had to remove it completely.
I tried to frag the pieces that were still alive in that time, but unfortunately none of them made it.

When the coral was healthy, I fragged some pieces, let them encrust well and gave 3 frags to other reefers. I gave them away as the reefers wanted a SSC and I got a back up in case something went wrong.
By now, all 3 frags were also killed or even sold :)mad:) so I am reviewing my back up planning as from now.

After removing the dead skeleton, the base was left on the rock. There was barely some coral still alive at one point.
But today, we got this:

46761201122_df6faa52f9_k.jpg

46813733191_a5f3256777_k.jpg
Are you saying, you didn't see the SSC hiding/growing till today?
If that's true, that's amazing, and Great News indeed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back