OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some sun light pictures. I love this time of the year (although it gets too hot already outside)

YPL_002.jpg

U_004.jpg

AU_002.jpg

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at the coral, I find that if I postpone the water change for more then 2 weeks, the coral start to suffer.
There is one coral however that seems to suffer since I changed salt.

It looked like this when using the Tropic Marine salt:

46046441455_c8a94b404c_k.jpg

This is how it looks since I use the Fritz Pro salt.
I hope things will turn around from next week when I can use the Tropic Marine again.

BAU_001.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks solid... the coloration is so varied in the display and give contrast that is easy on the eyes.

Do u have plans to trim the tip of the acro's that have outgrown the rest of the coral or you gonna just let it be?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Love the peninsula tanks.

Thanks.
And welcome

Janci,
It's looks great.

Man,
Your scape is my favorite.... :)

Thank you Freddie.
The wide peninsula gives more options for scrapping.
I am not particularly fond of it, but it is pleasing to the eye... :cool::cool::cool:
My original scape is what I loved the most.

Beautiful as always! Great news on the salt, I guess it’s time to bulk up ;)

:):)
That I did. Picked up 3 buckets today to get me going for about a year.
;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop

Everything looks solid... the coloration is so varied in the display and give contrast that is easy on the eyes.

Do u have plans to trim the tip of the acro's that have outgrown the rest of the coral or you gonna just let it be?

Thank you Rich.
I let most of the acros grow for now.
When someone asks me for a frag, I cut something, but I do not sell (just giving away). The tank is there for my pleasure only and I do not tend to recuperate any investment... although maybe I should;Writing.

But it looks like some acros are heading towards others and to prevent war, I will frag there a little in the future.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
And welcome

Thank you Freddie.
The wide peninsula gives more options for scrapping.
I am not particularly fond of it, but it is pleasing to the eye... :cool::cool::cool:
My original scape is what I loved the most.

:):)
That I did. Picked up 3 buckets today to get me going for about a year.
;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop

Thank you Rich.
I let most of the acros grow for now.
When someone asks me for a frag, I cut something, but I do not sell (just giving away). The tank is there for my pleasure only and I do not tend to recuperate any investment... although maybe I should;Writing.

But it looks like some acros are heading towards others and to prevent war, I will frag there a little in the future.

Gotcha. I hear ya on the return investment considration.. I am at the end of my reboot. And currently getting my po4 to acceptable levels for sps growth...

When the time comes, I would love to try a piece to see how it does now that I have a par and pur mapping completed I am ready for coral placement. I'll shoot u a PM when I'm ready if u dont mind.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I hear ya on the return investment considration.. I am at the end of my reboot. And currently getting my po4 to acceptable levels for sps growth...

When the time comes, I would love to try a piece to see how it does now that I have a par and pur mapping completed I am ready for coral placement. I'll shoot u a PM when I'm ready if u dont mind.

I would gladly assist you, but I am afraid distance will not be cooperating here.
How do you mean "par and pur mapping completed"?

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed your thread. How did having a small section of deep sand bed work out? I am considering something similar to provide jawfish habitat when I get my 40B going.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed your thread. How did having a small section of deep sand bed work out? I am considering something similar to provide jawfish habitat when I get my 40B going.

Hi Chris, thank you for the comment.
The sand bed turned out well, actually.
The surrounding rocks kept the deep sand bed in place nicely.
As I mixed sand with some coarser gravel, after a while the sand sunk to the bottom and the gravel came on top. My wrasse did not like that too much.
From all the sand in the tank, this deep bed was the healthiest.

Many people with bare bottom tanks add a small area (a corner or sometimes even a plastic pot) with sand to provide a sleeping space for their animals that need that.
You add a little rock where the jawfish can get under after digging and he will be perfectly fine.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am new to the lighting aspect of reefing, but I am diving head into it to learn.

The seneye and laptop setup my friend brought over to map my tank had 2 readings...
1 was PAR, Potential Available Radiation

The 2nd was PUR. Usable radiation.

He knows more than me, but from what I gathered in his explanation you are aiming for 70% PUR. It relates in a sort of telling u how much of the lumens detected are usable in the photosynthetic spectrum... or something along those lines :p

Again, I'm learning still. I will know more as I skim @Dana Riddle 's articles.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the lighting aspect of reefing, but I am diving head into it to learn.

The seneye and laptop setup my friend brought over to map my tank had 2 readings...
1 was PAR, Potential Available Radiation

The 2nd was PUR. Usable radiation.

He knows more than me, but from what I gathered in his explanation you are aiming for 70% PUR. It relates in a sort of telling u how much of the lumens detected are usable in the photosynthetic spectrum... or something along those lines :p

Again, I'm learning still. I will know more as I skim @Dana Riddle 's articles.
OK, now I get it.
Lol
Yes, we measure PAR to see if there is enough light and coverage in our tanks. I think PUR is less important.
Still, I focus on water quality and flow as I believe light is of a lesser importance.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, now I get it.
Lol
Yes, we measure PAR to see if there is enough light and coverage in our tanks. I think PUR is less important.
Still, I focus on water quality and flow as I believe light is of a lesser importance.
Agreed. Most non-sps coral will survive a lack of light. But as I allow my reef to mature more (only 10 months old) I am preparing for sps planning. Due to my plans for the dendro colony in the center of my tank I only have 2 hydras, one on each end over the largest floor space for coral placement. I knew without t5 supplements, I would only have a few small circles i could confidently attempt to grow sps in. Thus I waited for the par mapping so I'm not going in blind.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope one day to have thriving stony corals across the peaks and a couple acropora stretching 1 branch to the light like a finger. Your acropora are stunning and I love how they provide life to the typically empty space in the top 3rd of most tanks.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at the coral, I find that if I postpone the water change for more then 2 weeks, the coral start to suffer.
There is one coral however that seems to suffer since I changed salt.

It looked like this when using the Tropic Marine salt:

46046441455_c8a94b404c_k.jpg

This is how it looks since I use the Fritz Pro salt.
I hope things will turn around from next week when I can use the Tropic Marine again.

BAU_001.jpg
Interesting! Metals are known to alter the configuration of the fluorophore (or chromophore) within the protein responsible for coloration. Perhaps it is a difference of metal content in the salts?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back